Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan to do a lot of 2-up riding with the gf this summer, and was wondering if this would play a role in premature wear of the clutch. I know the extra weight would definitely add more stress to the clutch. The bike is currently at 5700 miles. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
sure, as you will probably have to slip it more to get going.;

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure, as you will probably have to slip it more to get going.;
Realistically I probably won't even put a thousand miles of 2-up riding on it this summer. It would just be short trips, but many of them. If need be, and I have to replace it, is it hard to do?

·
Registered
258 Posts
That depends on what kind of gf you have lol. Dont worry about it as long as its not like that gf on back of the orange 600rr.

No kidding... these clutches seem to be indestructible. As long as you're staying within the load limits of the bike, I wouldn't worry about causing premature wear on anything. That's like wondering if driving your friends around is causing you to use tires and brakes faster on your car.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
At 120lbs as others have said, it won't be any harder on the clutch. Remember they were designed with 2 riders in mind, if not they woudn't have come with a rear seat/pegs.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At 120lbs as others have said, it won't be any harder on the clutch. Remember they were designed with 2 riders in mind, if not they woudn't have come with a rear seat/pegs.
what is they're both fat? haha.

If the clutch does go bad b/c of 2-up riding, would it just start to slip or could there be any more damage?

here for pictures :ciao:
lol ill see if I can find a good pic

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Here is another thread discussing this topic, however it doesn't answer your specific question: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=231045

As for wear on components, yes that will happen at a slightly accelerated rate... but still nothing close to what guys are putting these bikes through on the track.

In short, grab a beer and sleep easy - your bike will be fine.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is another thread discussing this topic, however it doesn't answer your specific question: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=231045

As for wear on components, yes that will happen at a slightly accelerated rate... but still nothing close to what guys are putting these bikes through on the track.

In short, grab a beer and sleep easy - your bike will be fine.
I remember that thread, thanks. As far as components, which ones are you referring to in general?

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I remember that thread, thanks. As far as components, which ones are you referring to in general?
All of them... but you are talking about a drop of water in the sea here, it doesn't make stuff all difference unless you are riding %100 of the time with a passenger and even then the only service intervals that will be worth shortening are the chain lube, brakes and fork oil replacement. But even then, we are not talking about a dramatic difference in service life for these components.

You would need to be riding several thousand miles for the difference to start becoming noticeable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts