Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just came into possession of a 2005 CBR 600rr. I intended to finish out the summer on it and then start doing track days next spring. Is it unrealistic to expect much life out of a bike with 20K on the clock? As far as I know, the bike was well maintained -except spending the last 6-12 months out in someone's back yard, uncovered.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
20k is nothing for a 6r or even most bikes that are well kept. All i would worry about is any rusting or etc relating to it sitting. Like fuel lines/radiator fluid. Find out if they drained it before it sat. Basically you should probably do a full tune-up on it

or sell it cheap to me

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do a compression check on it. Ad if it was me i would prob tear it down to bare bones anyway just so i'm sure about what i'm working with.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan to break the bike down and put it back together. Flushing fluids, valves, replacing hoses and plugs, etc. I siphoned out the gas (there was a little rust in it) and put fresh gas in. The bike started right up.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a compression check on it. Ad if it was me i would prob tear it down to bare bones anyway just so i'm sure about what i'm working with.
I thought compression checks are only necessary if there are problems. Can a compression check tell you something is wrong even when the engine feels strong?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I thought compression checks are only necessary if there are problems. Can a compression check tell you something is wrong even when the engine feels strong?

yes. it can tell you if 1 of the 4 cylinders isn't up to par. another thing is a leak down test to check the valves.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Another nod on that. My 06 has about 30k now and runs like a champ.

The miles shouldn't matter, its the maintenance that counts. From the looks of it, once you do what you gotta do to get it back in tiptop shape you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
21,500 on my trackbike.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My track bike has 20k on it and it's an '07 does fine on and off the track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts