Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 25 year old 5'10 female that weighs 125 pounds. Would a 600rr be a great starter bike for me? I have no experience riding exceot for in the back of my friends' bikes...

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,974 Posts
I always tell anyone that asks to start on a 250 or 300. Doesn't matter that you're a girl, but the bike is lighter, easier to handle, and much much much more forgivable when you make a mistake. They are tons of fun too, a lot of people that have 600s would love to have a 300 as well, me included.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
849 Posts
Get a used 250 ninja for 2K or less.
Get a well fitting helmet, some boots, riding pants and gloves, jacket. Leather.
Take the basic rider's course and get your endorsement.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
No. Get a used CBR250 or CBR300 first and get experience before riding bigger bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yes! On of the best. Have fun

One

Reactions: Drilla2212

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always tell anyone that asks to start on a 250 or 300. Doesn't matter that you're a girl, but the bike is lighter, easier to handle, and much much much more forgivable when you make a mistake. They are tons of fun too, a lot of people that have 600s would love to have a 300 as well, me included.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/QUOT

Apart from the weight....isn't a cbr300 too small for me because of my height?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I started out on my 600rr and I'm 5'5 125 lbs, I would take the other these other guys advice. 250 or a 300 would definitely help you more with getting comfortable and getting the confidence of riding properly.

You COULD start on a 600 but there really isn't a whole lot of advantage of doing that maybe just saving some money down the line. But I would really say it depends on how you do ride, how quickly you can adapt to it, how often you're will to do track days, etc.

Honestly, I think this question really is like... I'm a quick study and good at math can just skip pre-cal and go to calculus? Well the answer is yes but it would benefit you more to do pre-cal first.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

No such thing as too small. You have zero experience on a bike. A supersport is not the greatest idea to start on, however it is your money/your call. Make an educated decision and try to not kill yourself

·
Registered
940 Posts
I know of at least 4 girls who started on 600's and 1 on a 750. I would not advise it but if you have some experience with either dirt bikes or have great balance on a bicycle it is doable. There is no magical formula to starting out riding. I will suggest at least you take the safety course then make an honest decision as to whether or not you can handle something bigger. I will emphasis it is not advisable and not just because you are a girl btw.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,974 Posts

You do realize I'm talking about a production Honda motorcycle meant for grown ass adults and not a Playskool tricycle right? But you're right...you're super tall at 5'10", Green Giant basically, go for the CBR1KRR, that's what all the tall people ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Cory Gillmore

·
Registered
849 Posts
Is it a great starter bike, no.
Can you handle a 600rr. Sure.
It doesn't matter if you're a girl.
Reflexes, vision, awareness and a will to drive.
That's all you need.

A 250 ninja holds it's value and you'd be able to pawn it off easily after a short time.

Do what you want.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Walk into any bike dealership; sit on as many bikes as you like.

The smaller displacement bikes are still relatively the same size as the bigger sportbikes. Five ten isn't too tall. Maybe cramped on a Grom.

·
Premium Member
12,223 Posts
I'm a 25 year old 5'10 female that weighs 125 pounds. Would a 600rr be a great starter bike for me? I have no experience riding exceot for in the back of my friends' bikes...
This tells me everything, first off get yourself some gear, secondly take a MSF course asap, THEN decide if a supersport 600RR is for you, be safe and good luck

·
Registered
874 Posts
A 250/300 is a better bike for you to start on, that's why they made them. For beginners. Just because you're 5'10 doesn't mean it's too small at all. I know dudes who are over 6 foot who ride 250's/300's (6foot4honda started on a cbr250r and he is... well... 6'4)

Also just because you're a girl doesn't change anything. Having ovaries doesn't suddenly excuse you from starting on a bigger bike.

We're not trying to be mean, just helpful, but this question has been answered 10 billion times.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts