1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a tank bra. I know it looks 1990s but I don't care as my tank to this day is still in immaculate condition. Mine is from Second Look; I think the company went belly up....

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a tank bra. I know it looks 1990s but I don't care as my tank to this day is still in immaculate condition. Mine is from Second Look; I think the company went belly up....

I just can't get aboard with the "My tank is is good condition" idea here. It's like wrapping your couches in plastic. It's going to stay clean but it's awful to look at and not very comfortable.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just can't get aboard with the "My tank is is good condition" idea here. It's like wrapping your couches in plastic. It's going to stay clean but it's awful to look at and not very comfortable.
Actually it's more comfortable and gives you much better grip. Visually you barely notice it since it is color matched.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
yikes? what is the purpose here? all anyone needs imo is a simple tank pad no more no less
They were really big in the 90s and earlier.

Before things like stompgrip becomes the rave.

Also when tanks were made of metal and expensive to replace :)

Nowadays just keep a spare OEM one in the garage if you want one in an immaculate condition.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I don't use a bra. Bras are too restricting and can get caught up in your upper mid sections if you put them on wrong. Instead, I got a tank stamp on the backside where most of the contact is actually made during harder, more aggressive rides.:thumbup:

·
Registered
718 Posts

This is all you need, Stomp Grips and a Tank pad. If you want to keep an immaculate tank, buy a 2nd one.

Color matching doesn't make it any less obvious.. Just makes me say wow they're so ugly the person is trying to blend it in with their tank.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear me...sometimes it helps to look it up before posting stompgrips as an alternative :retard: -- tank covers aren't really designed for "grip"

The "purpose" from what I gather is two-fold, one as rinonz mentioned, to protect the tank, mainly back in the 90's when a lot of tanks were metal.

Secondly, see the last picture in my OP? There are two attachment buckles, a bag attaches to that; a tank bag. My friend has it on his 636 and it's pretty handy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, well stomp grips are designed for grip, and as an alternative provide protection for your tank, giving it better functionality compared to a tank bra, which is still unsightly. You don't need a bra to attach a tank bag either. And I don't care how much a tank bra "protects" your precious tank, if it's just covering it up in hideous manner. And yes, I've ridden an older CBR that used to have a tank bra. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

If I want to use a tank bag, I'll either

A: Take my tank off and install magnets, like other riders have done, and use a magnetic tank bag.
B: Get this from Kriega which I can detach whenever. http://www.kriega.us/us-tank-bag-adaptor/

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link to the Kriega site, wasn't aware of it. However, I don't like the look of it. There is something called preference; everyone has it. I'm not particularly concerned whether you think it looks hideous.

All I wanted to know was whether anyone was using these and what the alternatives were. I have my answer now, thanks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes, well stomp grips are designed for grip, and as an alternative provide protection for your tank, giving it better functionality compared to a tank bra, which is still unsightly
The tank bra is also for grip. And obviously its totally subjective but IMO stomp grip is super mfugly; far more so than a bra to my eyes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts