Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went for a ride to the gf's house, it was fair weather, no rain.

4 hours later, I had to ride home, to my suprise it was pouring cats and dogs, and I had to go on the highway to get home. probably a 25-30 minute ride going at 100 kph. Cars and semi trailers are splashing water at me like no tomorrow, and I figured it would go into the air intakes too.

When I shift to 1st after getting near my home at traffic lights stops, the tranny would make 3 quick clanky sounds.. and when stopped in my garage and bike turned off, my bike was smoking grey at the radiator. Think it could be burning condensation though.. Didnt smell too bad.

I hope riding in the heavy rain on the highway didnt write my bike off as a lemon.

So is this something I should worry about?

Anyone know if our bikes are rain tough? Can our air filters take it?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
dam, it sounds more like you drove it straight into a pool rather then ride in the rain. i hope nothing is wrong with your bike.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I rode 1 and 1/2 hours home last fall in a downpour that cut visibilty to about 100 feet, no problems with the bike as a result. The grey smoke was just rain water burning off the rad. The way the air box is set up has the ram air ducts lower than the air filter, the air flows bottom to top through the filter, not top to bottom. Water doesn`t like going up hill, I`m sure the air box has drains in the bottom. As far a the 1st gear shift, were you at a dead stop or still rolling when you went down to 1st. When its raining, you tend to pull in the clutch way sooner than you do in the dry to brake to a stop. You may have made the 1st gear downshift at a higher road speed than you would in the dry. The mismatch in rotational speed between the input and output shafts in the trans due to a higher road speed downshift can cause some clunking. In a car with an H pattern gear box you can do a double clutch downshift to get a closer match between shaft speeds to prevent this.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It ain't good for the bike but.........................I am sure that Honda (like all manufactures) did extensive road testing and quality checks before putting this bike out to the public. Riding in heavy rain will not hurt the bike and all the steam is from water burning off the hot metal.

Think about the abuse a dirt bike gets with caked mud all over everything and plowing through lnee deep rivers (or worse).

·
Registered
391 Posts
BlackAkumaRR said:
I hope riding in the heavy rain on the highway didnt write my bike off as a lemon.
First of all, if something is wrong because of something you did to the bike (i.e. riding in the heavy rain on the highway, installing an exhaust system or flushmounts, etc), it doesn't make your bike a lemon. Nor does it make it Honda's responibility or the dealer's responsilbility or anyone's responsibilty but your own.

Having said that, no, riding in the rain isn't bad for your bike. I would try to avoid storing your bike in the rain, but even that really won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
heavy rain sucks.....I got completely douched in a monsoon the first weekend i had my bike....sucked!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
last season my father and I were out riding on a beautiful day, rode all they way to the CT shore (about 2 1/2 hours) then headed home, 45 minutes into the journey back we got caught in the worst thunderstorm, I have EVER seen, and there I was, a squid, with just a tee shirt on (just a cruise ride, since he rides a harley) and it was hailing!! It was funny for the first 20 minutes because we couldn't see ****, we were far as hell from home and there was no where to stop for another 30 miles or so.

Finally we found a gas station, but it wasn't stopping, so we only stayed there for about 30 minutes then just dealt with it for the rest of the way home.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
One of the things they do to test the bike is to make sure rain doesn't screw it up. If you look at your bike with the fairings off it has many rubber covers for electronics so that your bike doesn't get screwed up. You'll be fine unless you drive it into a lake or river. Then worry.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh thanks for the replies guys. I feel much better now.

About the tranny, yea I think I probably pulled the clutch in too early, or I was going too fast b4 going into 1st. My glove hands were so wet and numb from the cold I think was one factor which effected my performance for that.

mtc said:
I rode 1 and 1/2 hours home last fall in a downpour that cut visibilty to about 100 feet, no problems with the bike as a result. The grey smoke was just rain water burning off the rad. The way the air box is set up has the ram air ducts lower than the air filter, the air flows bottom to top through the filter, not top to bottom. Water doesn`t like going up hill, I`m sure the air box has drains in the bottom. As far a the 1st gear shift, were you at a dead stop or still rolling when you went down to 1st. When its raining, you tend to pull in the clutch way sooner than you do in the dry to brake to a stop. You may have made the 1st gear downshift at a higher road speed than you would in the dry. The mismatch in rotational speed between the input and output shafts in the trans due to a higher road speed downshift can cause some clunking. In a car with an H pattern gear box you can do a double clutch downshift to get a closer match between shaft speeds to prevent this.

C

·
0 Posts
Yesterday after work, I went from Carmel Valley to Hwy 1. Down hwy 1 w/ 80mph winds to Hurricane point. Stared at the face of the storm and raced it home.... Didn't even get wet! We got 3 inches after that... Thank god for the HID's!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dam I risked going to work many times and got caught in some storms last year. Just dry it off and make sure to keep all the mechanical bits oiled. It's worse now because of the cold and icy days the road is plyed with salt. That really does some damage.

This bike like any road bike is designed to be used as a sole means of transport across the planet in all different weather conditions. Just look after it when you get it home and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Riding in the rain sucks, but cleaning your bike afterwords sucks even more.. :D

Nothing should be wrong with your bike. I usually let the engine idle for about 1 min or so before I push the bike back into the garage. This allows some of the water to dry off and will help prevent any rust/corrosion spots in the future. Plus it allows the engine to cool down and prevent any hot spots inside the engine..which will cook up the oil. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts