Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just a question about intent and the law. This is legitimate, and i'm not trying to be sneaky or ask a stupid questions. There aren't such things as stupid questions, btw.

I know (in Alberta) it is illegal to have a device which "warns about speed detection equipment in the vicinity" (radar detector) or to own equip which [affects the ability of said devices to operate] (radar jammers)... BUT is it illegal to have a device/part/etc which might deter law enforcement officials from charging you?

I mean, license plate reflector cover thingys aren't illegal because they hamper photo radar detection per se; it's because they compromise the viewability of the license plate. So how would you guys respond to this point?

Furthermore, if there was a tool which theoretically did not affect the traffic device's measuring ability, did not obscure a license plate, and did not change any visible condition of the vehicle... would it be legal? If you have some ideas where i could find the answer, please provide some help.

Dave

P.S. I swear if someone comes on this thread and starts flaming, i will trace your IP and put a dead animal in your mailbox. So if you flame and have a street address, expect a smelly parcel. Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Furthermore, if there was a tool which theoretically did not affect the traffic device's measuring ability, did not obscure a license plate, and did not change any visible condition of the vehicle... would it be legal? If you have some ideas where i could find the answer, please provide some help.
sure, if you had something that didnt do all of that it would of course be legal. but wouldn't that defeat your original goal?

you can get a:

radar detector (legal depending on state)
radar/laser jammer (legal depending on state)
plate cover (not legal)
plate flipper (not legal)

i cant think of anything else off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
dude, you right the dumbist things... u dont make sence... ps. mythbusters proved that plate reflecters do NOTHING from photo radar

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I remember hearing about some kind of reflective spray that would make your plate just a bright spot when traffic cams flashed you but technically that would impede visibility of the plate as well (sunny days?). Illegal anyway.

Why don't you just spell out your idea? Anything you do to prevent your plate from being read will hamper visibility, cops hate that, you will be punished for it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Loving It Lmfao! Love His Face!

·
Registered
26 Posts
sure, if you had something that didnt do all of that it would of course be legal. but wouldn't that defeat your original goal?

you can get a:

radar detector (legal depending on state)
radar/laser jammer (legal depending on state)
plate cover (not legal)
plate flipper (not legal)

i cant think of anything else off the top of my head.
I think in most states jamming radar or laser speed detection equipment is illegal. The state of Texas and the municipalities there in would prolly bust you for covering your plate with Saran wrap. Polarized plate covers are good for preventing the high mounted tollway cameras from photographing your plate.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, just a question about intent and the law. This is legitimate, and i'm not trying to be sneaky or ask a stupid questions. There aren't such things as stupid questions, btw.

I know (in Alberta) it is illegal to have a device which "warns about speed detection equipment in the vicinity" (radar detector) or to own equip which [affects the ability of said devices to operate] (radar jammers)... BUT is it illegal to have a device/part/etc which might deter law enforcement officials from charging you?

I mean, license plate reflector cover thingys aren't illegal because they hamper photo radar detection per se; it's because they compromise the viewability of the license plate. So how would you guys respond to this point?

Dave

P.S. I swear if someone comes on this thread and starts flaming, i will trace your IP and put a dead animal in your mailbox. So if you flame and have a street address, expect a smelly parcel. Thanks, everyone.
I am having a difficult time finding the question you are asking. Your title for the thread deals with hampering detection from law enforcement. But later in your post you state that want a tool that does not effect the radar/laser, does not obsecure your licence plate, and does not change any visible condition of the vehicle. If it didn't do any of these things, then I cannot see how you would avoid detection by law enforcement..

I think what you're looking for is called 'Magic'. ;)

If you find it.. Please let us know.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
lol, never mind the thread, i want to see you trace my ip to my address, sure you can get my general location but hahaha, as far as the getting around legalities, you will lose eventually.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think in most states jamming radar or laser speed detection equipment is illegal. The state of Texas and the municipalities there in would prolly bust you for covering your plate with Saran wrap. Polarized plate covers are good for preventing the high mounted tollway cameras from photographing your plate.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Listing of what states detectors and jammers illegal/legal in. lots of legal states.

http://www.1stradardetectors.com/radar-detector-laws.php

1 - 20 of 42 Posts