Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the east and I don't see 90 percent of riders wear more gear than a helmet. I've seen flip flops and a shirt/shorts. I thought that people like skin and their bones? Are they super strong lol? I thought my boots were a minimum but i see tennis shoes being worn. i never leave without my st airs, jacket, armored pants, gloves helmet. I am getting a back protector soon and these guys are hauling ass past me in shorts at 90 at night. anybody else feel this way?:cursin:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I'm in the East coast and I'll ride with all my gear even on a day like today when it'll be hitting a humid 90 degrees.
Just ignore people.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Eh, if it's bearable I wear all my gear but if it's hot I'll rock a t shirt. I have been wearing sneakers lately too b/c the zipper pulled out of my boots (although the new ones just got in yesterday.

At some point the risk of a little road rash is outweighed by the comfort of not wearing leathers. Either way it's dangerous and you're exposed. These aren't Iron Man suits we're putting on.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You sir are observing the phenomenon known as Squiding.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You sir are observing the phenomenon known as Squiding.

This site uses that term exclusively about those without gear. Most people I've met also call people that drive like arsehole squids, regardless of the gear.

I think it's worse to put others in danger than it is to put just yourself at risk.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It will change after they fall.

Eh, I've gotten rash a couple times (both pretty low speeds). It sucks but it's not the end of the world. Gives you a scab to pic, and everyone loves that.

Seriously, I really do wear my gear more often than not. But sometimes I choose not to. My choice. I do stay off the highways when I'm not rocking and skin protection.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
This site uses that term exclusively about those without gear. Most people I've met also call people that drive like arsehole squids, regardless of the gear.

I think it's worse to put others in danger than it is to put just yourself at risk.
OP described riders zooming by without gear or with minial gear. They sound like squids to me. Wasn't call you out as a squid, as I'm in a similar boat. I'm rocking almost my full gear with the exception of wearing kevalr jeans vice my leathers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here in South Florida, it breaks down this way based on my observation:

A majority of Harley-Davidson riders don't wear helmets and think jeans, a vest, wallet chain and work boots are gear. Those who ARE worried about protection wear a do-rag or turned-around ball cap and fingerless gloves. The Big Mammas ridin' bitch are frequently in shorts... to show off them creamy cottage cheese thighs!

A majority of sportbike riders wear full helmets, sneakers, jeans and short-sleeve T-shirts. Those who worry about more protection add gloves.

My own attire depends on my mood. Last year, I'd wear a Harley half-helmet and goggles with jeans, fingerless gloves and an Icon mesh on my sportbikes. I'd wear fullface and leathers on my Harley. Seriously!

Now I just wear my fullface and Icon (sometimes a leather jacket) and full gloves on all my rides. Half-helmet was for grins. Fortunately, I can still grin because I didn't crash while wearing it. It's Vans or half boots on my feet.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Just another day in Winchester, VA. Sooo fest up....which one of you is it???

·
Registered
95 Posts
I noticed the same thing last week in Edmonton, 90% of sport bike riders in t shirts, no gloves and tennis shoes. Had some idiots stare us down at a red light after ripping past us at probably twice the limit on a section with many crosswalks. Ducati 1098S and a KTM RC8, both $20k + bikes up here, and I guess they cant afford gear lol. I just shook my head and laughed at the sloppiness in throttle and clutch control as the guy on the Duc took off.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont "care" that someone didn't wear gear, I'm just surprised that they don't care if they fall what kind of injuries can happen. Cruisers are just as guilty as 0 riders I have seen had a jacket or decent pants, no gloves, no full face helmets. So cruiser falling at 70 is impervious to road rash and broken bones i guess. lame mentality, and to top it off I see girls on the back with even less clothes on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't submit to the unspoken peer pressure lol. On a serious note, some may rationalize that with gear on they would be too hot too focus which would increase their risk. Although if this is the case, you shouldn't be riding that day or just wait for the hour before sunset.

·
Registered
714 Posts
90% of people dont wear all the gear... everywhere... look across seas to 3rd world countries they dont wear **** cuz they cant afford it or its just not in there culture.. i had this FOB in highschool laugh at me cuz i was wearing a seatbelt in a car. he was straight "fresh off the boat" if u didnt know the acryo

·
Registered
417 Posts
Deciding when or how much gear to wear is personal choice, no reason to bash people for it. I personally would never wear sandles or go without a helmet, but alot of teenagers around here do which i just feel sorry for them when they feel cocky going into a turn and lay it down. I wear all my gear when the heat is tolerable but when it gets to the point where dehydration becomes an issue i usually remove my jacket but wear the rest. I only shed layers to keep myself cool but still protected as much as i can. Im the one taking the risk for not being fully geared, if i go down i suffer so bashing other people for their choices shows ignorance, even though the other persons choice may of not been the best or agreeable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was in Hawaii last week most of the riders doesn't wear helmet.But some would have a helmet hanging on their motorcycle.I just didn't get the point of having it with them and not wearing it was bad enough that they were on theirs short,flip flop, and shirt.. I guess they don't like their self that much...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Skin can't heal when there's nothing left to heal lol
thanks to modern day science it will. I wear a leather jacket most of the time. But i wear jeans and steel toe boots. Not that big of a deal to me. Yep pavement eats skin but i already know if i had a full blown outfit i would ride alot harder than i do now just because i know i have the protection. I dont drive dumb now . Corner slow have never came close to touching a knee. No need to. But i dont feel a need to be full blown leather man like jimmy fallon. If i crash i crash, havnt heard of too many people dying from road rash. But def die from no helmet. So im content with my attire

1 - 20 of 96 Posts