Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Strange... Yesterday on my way home from work I saw 6 bikes. ALL riders didn't have gear on. Best was a 2up CBR250R, both in shorts and a t shirt. The passenger though was a little kid, maybe 8 years old. I cringed.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
183 Posts
I live in central IL and i try to wear some sort of sleeves and higher ankled shoes all the time. I dont wear boots unless im hitting highway. Helmet and glves are a must. even hot weather. never too hot to protect the skull.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Some of you guys just don't get it. You can ride as responsibly as possible, and still go down. That's the gear argument. You don't have to ride like its the last lap at Leguna Seca, you don't have to be doing wheelies down the freeway, etc.

You are riding a motor on two wheels without any type of protection? You think you have total control over the environment in which you ride? You don't. I've known lots of riders who got messed up doing nothing wrong, just wrong place at the wrong time.

So, I wear gear not because I plan on going down or riding like an idiot. I wear it because barely a day goes buy when some cager doesn't pull out in front of me or move into my lane suddenly.

If you think you are in total control of everyone else out there, the road conditions, and whatever the universe has in store for you, great. Then you shouldn't worry about gear.

·
BOTM Winner 09/14
1,927 Posts
Some of you guys just don't get it. You can ride as responsibly as possible, and still go down. That's the gear argument. You don't have to ride like its the last lap at Leguna Seca, you don't have to be doing wheelies down the freeway, etc.

You are riding a motor on two wheels without any type of protection? You think you have total control over the environment in which you ride? You don't. I've known lots of riders who got messed up doing nothing wrong, just wrong place at the wrong time.

So, I wear gear not because I plan on going down or riding like an idiot. I wear it because barely a day goes buy when some cager doesn't pull out in front of me or move into my lane suddenly.

If you think you are in total control of everyone else out there, the road conditions, and whatever the universe has in store for you, great. Then you shouldn't worry about gear.
I agree.. But when I don't wear my gear it's because I have acknowledged all this and I am prepared to suffer consequences

I'm not gonna live my life worrying about what COULD happen

Don't get me wrong though, I strongly advise gear however sometimes I just like to feel free and comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forg
17,681 Posts
I see more and more people just wear a helmet, that's it. I call them dumb at least wear a jacket not a tee shirt

Sent via iPhone 4s

·
Registered
225 Posts
ATGATT, squids will eventually learn that sweating is much better then bleeding
THIS! I rather sweat than bleed, unfortunately, they wont learn that until they hit that pavement. My bike is my only form of transportation, so everyday Im on it, rain or shine, and everyday Im geared up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The passenger though was a little kid, maybe 8 years old. I cringed.
I could care less what people choose to wear, however a child should have a helmet on at the very least. or maybe just a nice car seat inside a cage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just because you don't wear full gear doesn't make you a squid dumbass.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
X2! I would refer to a squid as a new guy who doesn't know how to ride. I don't really care if they have gear on. That's up to them. Half the people on this damn forum are squids

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,537 Posts

Yep, dress for the crash, not the ride......

I agree.. But when I don't wear my gear it's because I have acknowledged all this and I am prepared to suffer consequences

I'm not gonna live my life worrying about what COULD happen

Don't get me wrong though, I strongly advise gear however sometimes I just like to feel free and comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I'm guessing you haven't crashed yet.

I could care less what people choose to wear, however a child should have a helmet on at the very least. or maybe just a nice car seat inside a cage.
100% agreed. I was in disbelief.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It's a risk vs. reward thing. When I decide to go w/o a jacket it's a conscious decision. I know it'll suck if I go down, but it'll suck in 100 degree heat with a jacket on.

I've said this before too: when you're 100% geared up it doesn't make you Iron Man, that suit doesn't really exist. There's always risk.

What drives me nuts is when I hear/read smug comments that imply people almost hoping non-geared riders go down. Too much of that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I recently put a poor fellow out with a fire extinguisher. He passed right there on the highway, bled out within 90 seconds.
Poor bloke was in shorts and Birks. I don't know if any amount of gear would have saved him. He did it his way, his choice.
It was an accident, another vehicle involved.

PS: Good thread, I read the first page, and looking forward to the rest.

Be safe all.
Hope everyone is doing well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's a risk vs. reward thing. When I decide to go w/o a jacket it's a conscious decision. I know it'll suck if I go down, but it'll suck in 100 degree heat with a jacket on.

I've said this before too: when you're 100% geared up it doesn't make you Iron Man, that suit doesn't really exist. There's always risk.

What drives me nuts is when I hear/read smug comments that imply people almost hoping non-geared riders go down. Too much of that.
Well said 👍
On a hot day we do cruise down to the beach front restaurants or even the beach itself in jeans and T-shirt and to tell you the truth, I enjoy a slow cruise in a T-shirt in the hot sun as much as I enjoy a street bash n thrash in full gear.
Does that make me one of these squids or calamari, don’t care.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I see loads of videos from the US on YouTube with guys in T shirts, seems crazy but quite normal over there. Don’t see it so much in the UK, guess our weather isn’t quite so great so the temptation isn’t there as much therefore the bad habits don’t creep in

·
Registered
237 Posts
I see loads of videos from the US on YouTube with guys in T shirts, seems crazy but quite normal over there. Don’t see it so much in the UK, guess our weather isn’t quite so great so the temptation isn’t there as much therefore the bad habits don’t creep in
I remember some years ago when I was in London, naked CBR6, Dainese armour with nothing else on and finished off with a mat black helmet seemed to be all the rage.
Never saw that here.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts