Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering will I still feel the benefit and no engine damage if I install the power commander 5 and remove the catalytic converter but keep the pair valves intact??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey just wondering will I still feel the benefit and no engine damage if I install the power commander 5 and remove the catalytic converter but keep the pair valves intact??

If you don't remove your pair valve the air/fuel mixture is always going to be off. Which will cause either a rich or lean bike depending on the map.Which can lead to engine damage after a prolonged time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Once you complete the PAIR delete, what are most doing with the crankcase breather? Are you able to just utilize the OEM breather back into the airbox?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
If you don't remove your pair valve the air/fuel mixture is always going to be off. Which will cause either a rich or lean bike depending on the map.Which can lead to engine damage after a prolonged time.
the pair system has nothing to do with the fueling on the bike. these bikes are open loop tuned. unless he plans to dynotune the bike, there won't be any difference. maybe a bit of popping on decel

·
Registered
153 Posts
the pair system has nothing to do with the fueling on the bike. these bikes are open loop tuned. unless he plans to dynotune the bike, there won't be any difference. maybe a bit of popping on decel

I understand that I was thinking of sniffer on the dyno and got side tracked while typing thinking of richening up the mixture while tuning do to extra air. Sorry for the misleading post, posted and didn't think about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm planning on getting it dyno and the guy said he will block it off while getting the custom map. However, in the meantime for the next 2 months or so I want to ride the bike hence my question.
Don't know if it's worth mentioning but the bike is u.k. 2012, mods ordered and ready for install are :
Pc5
Mid pipe cat delete
K&n air filter
Toce slip on( I've only recently gather this exhaust is hated by many in the states).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Once you complete the PAIR delete, what are most doing with the crankcase breather? Are you able to just utilize the OEM breather back into the airbox?
I unplugged the hose from the airbox and bought a UNI filter to put on the open end of the hose, then i just re-routed it to hang up.(filter pointed up) To me, now the airbox wont be receiving any recycled crankcase air.

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
I had PCV, cat delete, O2 sensor delete, K&N air filter and slip on custom mapped on dyno without block off plates. Dyno technician simply clamped off the hoses whilst bike was on dyno. Simple. No running problems at all after the tune.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's not much, but just getting the block off plates, and removing the pair system does drop unnecessary weight. I heard it does make engine breaking less "abrupt" as well. can't say i noticed a huge difference

·
Registered
224 Posts
I unplugged the hose from the airbox and bought a UNI filter to put on the open end of the hose, then i just re-routed it to hang up.(filter pointed up) To me, now the airbox wont be receiving any recycled crankcase air.
Where did you get the uni-filter? Do you have any pictures of it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Reactions: Speak917

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I believe I got it off of Ebay.
UNI 3/8 clamp filter | eBay

I believe its the UP-102. (3/8")
I haven't had any issues with it.
Did you mean any pictures of it installed in the bike??
I will probably go this route if I ever get a tune. I just linked my CC breather to a t-piece with the pair hoses (aka kleen air).

If I needed to get a tune, I would just like the hoses together between the pair, and a uni filter on the CC.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I will probably go this route if I ever get a tune. I just linked my CC breather to a t-piece with the pair hoses (aka kleen air).

If I needed to get a tune, I would just like the hoses together between the pair, and a uni filter on the CC.
Yeah you could do that. I thought about doing the T piece, but figured that the differences between doing that and just fully removing the PAIR system with block off plates would be about the same. Plus some minor weight taken off.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
that little filter is going to get saturated in oil and eventually start dripping all over your bike. it's best to keep the crank case connected to the airbox and if you refuse you at the VERY LEAST need to install a catch can prior to the filter.

having the crank case connected to the air box actually reduces pumping losses, a common thing is to actually increase the size of the breather to further reduce these losses. venting it to atmosphere will result in greater pumping losses than stock. it's essentially a downgrade

·
Registered
648 Posts
that little filter is going to get saturated in oil and eventually start dripping all over your bike. it's best to keep the crank case connected to the airbox and if you refuse you at the VERY LEAST need to install a catch can prior to the filter.

having the crank case connected to the air box actually reduces pumping losses, a common thing is to actually increase the size of the breather to further reduce these losses. venting it to atmosphere will result in greater pumping losses than stock. it's essentially a downgrade
I have the hose hung up though, which from what I heard, Gravity would bring the oil back down the tube and not saturate the filter, as well as the UNI filter being able to work with saturation as well.

I heard people also route that crank hose to a T with some of the PAIR hoses to create some negative vacuum or something like that which sounds a little more appealing

1 - 20 of 30 Posts