Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see a lot of motorcycles in the car pool lane, im just curious if this was legal or not, i dont want to try it and end up getting a ticket for it. oh yeah, this is heading down to boston if anyone cares.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I know in Cali. its legal, not sure about your state though.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woo after a long time of searching the web, i found out its legal. so yeah, if anyone else has a carpool lane, motorcycles are allowed.. well in cali and mass that is.

"The I-93 North Carpool Lane is open to vehicles with two or more occupants and all motorcycles between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. The lane is open to all traffic at all other times. "

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Every state I've been through that has HOV lanes allows motorcycles as well as environmentally friendly cars with one passenger. I think a better question is what state is it NOT legal in?

Tim

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in mass, it doesnt say motorcycles ok, it just says "+2 cars" or something like that. but then i saw a bunch of bikes zooming through while i'm in my car watching them pass me. kinda scared to ride my bike in boston though. they dont call us MASSHOLE drivers for nothing

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Blade-Runner said:
In MD it's legal, it even states "Motorcycles Ok" on the HOV signs.
Same here. Funny story about that I've meant to post before. Years ago I was on a major interstate around Atlanta riding in the HOV lane. I was doing the speed limit and kind of holding up traffic behind me although moving faster than the cars in the other lanes. This cop that was a few cars back from me turns on his lights, the cars pull over in front of him and he comes up to me so I move to the right as well, and he follows me.....he pulled me over and asked why I was in the HOV lane.....told me that wasn't allowed(I knew it was) and he lectured me how it's for 2 more more people and whatnot. While he's sitting there lecturing me I look no more than 100 feet up the road and see the next sign. Right there on it it says "ok for motorcycles". I pointed it out to him.....he turned so red, was quick to appologize and got the hell out of there quick. Was funny as ****. I think he was a noobie. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Motorcycles are allowed to ride in the Carpool lane because they are considered Ultra low emission vehicles. Since carpool was started to reduce pollution it makes sense that we would be allowed.

After all didn't we all buy our bikes because they are more environmentally friendly.

In California they used to have signs that said motorcycles ok, but they no longer have any because they consider it to be common knowledge.

Funny story the other day I was talking to some non-riding friends, I told them they need to put those signs back to account for the idiot factor. Just in case some cager thinks I'm not supposed to be there and tries to take me out. My friend then says motorcycles are not allowed in the carpool lane. I start laughing and say damn you just proved my point. He now knows that motorcycles are in fact allowed in the carpool lane.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i asked a few of my friends if it was legal and they said NOO they're illegal. me being the guy who had his license for less than half a year/18 years old.. was like.. ughh ok let me check up on that

·
Registered
419 Posts
in calif it is and also no bridge toll during rush hour time

·
Registered
919 Posts
Motorcycles in HOV / Carpool lanes is a federally mandated reg. If the state uses Federal dollars for state or interstates then if they have the said lanes then they must allow motorcyles. As was stated above motorcycles are considerd low emmision and low capacity vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts