Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is what my bike is sounding like in cold early mornings, im at 25k miles and i dont know if the original owner ever did the valve clearance...

what do ya think?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Doesn't sound bad. Tough to listen on a recording.

Id do it though. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a "clack clack clack" sound, u hear it more in person of course, and its only for the first 3-5 minutes when i start it when its cold.

How much does a mechanic usually charge for this? i never brought my bike to my mechanic for anything that requires taking so much apart, just want to know what im looking at before i go.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Oh man....

You're looking at a nice chunk of $. Prob 3+ hrs.

If you're mechanically inclined at all, its not that big of a job.

Theres a few VERY nice write-ups on it here on the board.

If memory serves, Nico did a really good one for us.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rigghhhtt.

I just went thru the first part of that page and i was like "let me get ready to spend money" cuz im definetely not tackling that myself, i barely like to do the oil changes. For some reason when it comes to bike i always screw something up or break something.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
honestly i dont really mind too much, and im sure my mechanic will give me a good deal, like less than 300, what will bother me is if i go and they dont need to be adjusted

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Well, its a distinct possibility that your valves will be within spec.

They are supposed to be checked at the 10k mi mark. At 25k, I could see them needing adjusted.

How long have you had the bike?

Id take it to the shop and have a mech at least listen to it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bought the bike with 22k and right now it has around 25k. Previous owner was pretty good with upkeep of the bike, but i never asked him.

As far as taking it to the mechanic just for a listen, the "clacking" noise only happens first few minutes when its cold and i just start her up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
537 Posts
You need to check it at 16,000 miles and 32,000 miles. To be honest, your bike sounds normal, mine also sounds like that. Yes, on cold starts you can hear the valves happily clacking away.

Not sure on this, but I'm pretty sure if you're hearing those valves, that's a good sign, it's unlikely for them to go out of spec by increasing clearance, it's more likely to lose clearance. Going by the noise of the engine, you're fine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeh i was actually talking to a guy that has owned a few 600RR's and he said that one thing he noticed is that out of all the bikes hes owned in his life they were the ones that everytime he would take apart the bike to do the valve clearance it was always spot on. And he used to ride hard.

Well see, i dont want to do something not needed, i passed by the stealership today and they quoted me 400 including the whole job plus gasket. So i know my mechanic probably will do it for 250 or so. But i think i will wait.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
With after market exhaust installed, you'll need to check it at 32,000 miles. I wouldn't worry too much prior to that.

I did my valves around 55kmi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts