Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i checked out my tires the other day, and i saw that i'm riding right up to the little michelin man on the edge of the rear. is it time to start gettin off the seat in the turns? not lookin to lowside....

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
wow, sounds like you should have been off the seat a good while ago. scootch one ass cheek off the side and you'll find more speed.

·
Registered
725 Posts
for me now, it feels unnatural to not hang off the bike, even just a little when I'm riding ... i will find my self constantly moving around on the bike, even when I'm not going that fast ...

·
Registered
282 Posts
rivalxCBR said:
for me now, it feels unnatural to not hang off the bike, even just a little when I'm riding ... i will find my self constantly moving around on the bike, even when I'm not going that fast ...
Me too. Just feels more comfortable to me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aight, tx for the info, but how about a little more...

how does hangin off help? do i actually turn the same amt while leaning less while hanging off, thus letting me turn more by leaning more if i need to (like in the example ceph gave)?

tx all!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Just take it easy. Watch people and take note of what they do. THere is no one right way to do it. At the very least start pointing your knee where you want to go. After that start to slide out in that exact direction. Little at a time, you will see less lean is needed at the same speeds. The result is cornering confidence. Then comes more speed.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
In a BASIC nutshell what's happening is the more you're off the bike the more vertical the bike can be through the corner resulting in way more tire if you need it/want it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hanging off is good but getting to the edge of the tyre is not the end of grip. The tyre will roll round a fair bit more.

If you get the rear just to the edge you'll probably find you still have about 1cm to go on the front. Once you have taken the front to the edge and found that the rear hasn't let go you'll know that the rear must have rolled round to give you that grip.
So although it looks like you only have 5mm (or the michman) left, the reality is, you have much more.

·
Registered
765 Posts
motorcycle tires are ound. You have just as mutch traction going straight as you do leaned over. Hang off. It's safer than going through a turn gued to the seat. If you need to turn harder, you wount be able to while stuck on the seat.

Imagine a car or truch swinging wide into your lane mind corner.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just try it out. Find a good sweeping turn and go through it at the same speed several times not hanging off. Then try the same turn and speed hanging off. You will feel the bike not leaning as much. Also like was said it will make the bike seem rock solid in the turn as opposed to not hanging off.

Make sure to do this all in as safe an area as possible.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea, gotta say tx guys... just got back from a week in vegas and had to hop on my bike.... mb i'll go practice a bit.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
RRnelcheeze said:
ride a dirt bike, its not the same but the principles are the same when it comes to leaning, sliding, and adjusting. and if you fall its just dirt. It does help alot.
TERRABLE example....riding in the dirt requires TOTALLY different basics and completly different fundimentals. Switching from an MX bike to a street bike teaches you ALOT of bad habits that will get you into big time trouble on the street.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts