Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has a 01 Kawi zx6. the bikes previous owner did not take good care of it, it has been down a few times, was street fighter'd out. My buddy bought the bike for some sentimental value, first bike he rode blah blah. Bike was sitting for around 2 years. Ran strong when he got it. Bike has 37k on it. Now to the issues.
The bike had these screens over the air intake tubes. Didn't look good, so he removed them couple days later bike is running rough. Check filter looks like the original one from 2001, bugs and dirt all over it. carefully removed and cleaned it and the air box. he went with a k&n. Bike didn't respond well to it. so he wants to sync carbs and we did. (wrong the first time but we got it). Bkie still running off. it ran good until 80mph then just lost all power. Then started dying at idle, had to keep on gas while coming to stops. So we rebuilt the carbs cleaned everything, and put it all back together, sync for good measure. Then the bike runs the same. Convinced he needs to jet the carbs due to the mass air flow. he is frustrated at this point and takes the bike to a local mechanic who has worked on the bike before. We go to pick it up and he has more bad news. The vacuum on a couple of the cylinders are low. Valve job and seals next on the list but, then the killer bikes frame has 2 cracks one on each side, not on a weld. so my question is we got a guy that can tig weld the frame. Would that be sufficient? All the money he has put into it this year to find those cracks was kinda heart breaking.
Should I tell him to move on?

·
Banned
543 Posts
That bike sounds like a massive money pit to keep it running. Who knows what else is wrong with it. I think it's safer and more economical to move on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts