Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my water pump and finally took a look at my front sprocket for the first time :retard:, I noticed that there are marks/indents around the circumference of the sprocket on either side of the hooks. I would like to know if the sprocket came this way with those indents and it is normal or if this is a sign that the sprocket has worn down in the middle allowing the chain to incorrectly contact the edged of the sprocket. I think it is an OEM sprocket I bought it used a few years ago and the seller never mentioned anything about a new sprocket. For reference total bike mileage is 10,807.

Attached is a photo of what I am looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sprocket looks fine. Maintain your chain and you can get 30,000 miles out of everything (assuming you have steel rear sprocket). When the teeth get thin, or start looking like sharkfins, time to replace. BTW, you should replace chain and both sprockets at the same time (as a general rule of thumb).

As far as the indentations along the circumference, personally I've never seen a sprocket like that. But the teeth look fine. If you look along the left side of the sprocket where the chain and teeth mesh together, can you tell if the top of the teeth reach the top between each "roller". In other words, does it look like the sprocket teeth are properly gripping the chain?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts