Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if my gas tank piece is rusted or is this normal? The bike has 420 miles but would this be a problem or do I need to replace it @ honda?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not normal what kind of gas are u using. And do u leave it in the rain and its getting water in the fuel tank.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I just purchased the bike a week ago, it's an 08' but been non-op since 11'. What should I do? I just pumped 91 octane almost a week ago and the owner kept it garaged. I don't have any problems riding the bike around the neighborhood.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Take the tank off, and drain it. You don't want to fire the bike up with a crap filled tank. Take the fuel pump out, clean the strainer, as that may be clogged.

Once off, get a gallon of CLR, and some stainless nuts and bolts. Pour a good amount of CLR into the tank, with the bolts. Shake the tank around, using the bolts to knock any loose rust of. Let it sit for a while. Pour everything out once you think it's clean. Pressure wash the inside, and let it dry. Once completely dry, grab some Por-15 or equivalent gas tank liner, and apply per directions.

If the top of the tank is like that, the rest of the tank is likely to need some attention.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take the tank off, and drain it. You don't want to fire the bike up with a crap filled tank. Take the fuel pump out, clean the strainer, as that may be clogged.

Once off, get a gallon of CLR, and some stainless nuts and bolts. Pour a good amount of CLR into the tank, with the bolts. Shake the tank around, using the bolts to knock any loose rust of. Let it sit for a while. Pour everything out once you think it's clean. Pressure wash the inside, and let it dry. Once completely dry, grab some Por-15 or equivalent gas tank liner, and apply per directions.

If the top of the tank is like that, the rest of the tank is likely to need some attention.

I checked the inside of the tank and it's also semi rusted but I plan to use evapo-rust since it doesn't require any seal or any other products!? What do u think about that?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Gas tank is the same from 07-12, there are a thousand bikes being parted every day, get a used tank that's clean and don't screw around with this one. Good thing is since it's under a cover it can even be slightly dented and still be good.

Far cheaper, far easier and a better solution than screwing around with liners.

Mike

·
Registered
553 Posts
i wouldnt start the bike like that. and once you get your tank replaced or seriously cleaned, and your fuel pump sorted out, change out the fuel filter then clean your lines and injectors.

·
BOTM Winner 03/14
2,497 Posts
I checked the inside of the tank and it's also semi rusted but I plan to use evapo-rust since it doesn't require any seal or any other products!? What do u think about that?
Honestly I wouldn't waste my money, most of them products are not great. Id invest in a new tank be done with it. Atleast you'll know what you have and it'll be garaunteed problem free. Just my two cents

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Pull the pump out and seal the bottom with a plate then thoroughly degrease the tank with some simple green or the like then rinse and fill the tank right to the top with a 10:1 mix of water to feed molasses. Leave for 1-2 weeks and then clean it out with water and re-assemble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts