Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had them remove my swingarm and they said they had to replace the chain because it was and endless chain ? is that correct ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I used the same chain after breaking it and removing the swingarm. You just have to buy an end link (not sure the actual name) and pound it in.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
I didn't reaplace mine. Got a chain tool and removed it and got a chain press tool and reinstalled it. I didn't actually do it Ga-RR on here did it but you can use your original chain. If you are getting it powdercoated you will most likely have to replace your swingarm bearings.

N

·
0 Posts
Well, actually that a yes and a no. In order to remove the swingarm completely they do have to cut away at the chain. However, they could have just replace the masterlink, but knowing dealerships it's all about $$$.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i knew they would have to cut the chain but i didnt know it would have to be replaced, so it was ok to use a masterlink and not replace the whole chain correct ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
How did they get the chain on at the factory?
Of course it's alright to use a masterlink. There is even a factory part number for an OEM replacement masterlink.
A continuous type chain is simply a chain with a pressed style masterlink.
You did not need a whole new chain.
Ask them just how are they proposing putting on this whole new chain anyway?
Simple, with a masterlink, just like they could do to your original chain.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Was the chain/sprockets wore out? if not, refer them to page 4-23 of the service manual.

Better yet, print this and take it with you back to the Service writer. Ask them to reimburse you for the new chain you didn't need.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
bda116 said:
How did they get the chain on at the factory?
Of course it's alright to use a masterlink. There is even a factory part number for an OEM replacement masterlink.
A continuous type chain is simply a chain with a pressed style masterlink.
You did not need a whole new chain.
Ask them just how are they proposing putting on this whole new chain anyway?
Simple, with a masterlink, just like they could do to your original chain.
Exactly!

·
Registered
38 Posts
If your dealer told you that you would have to replace your chain, why didn't he tell you that you had to replace your sprockets? They wear at the same rate and changing one without the other isn't cool. Sounds fishy to me.......

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i just talk to them again and this time i ask them why couldnt they use a masterlink and they said they didnt haved any in stock and it was easier/faster to just put on a new chain that they had in stock (DID chain)

shouldnt dealers stock up on those kind of stuff ?...i mean...it would be common sense to

so now i have an extra chain that only has 350 miles on it

man dealers be trying to make as much money off of you as possible these days

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright this is pissing me off, i just called them and ask for the parts department, i asked if they have a masterlink for a 600rr chain in stock...and the parts guy said YES...WTF!! im about to go back there and raise hell

N

·
0 Posts
teg said:
ok i just talk to them again and this time i ask them why couldnt they use a masterlink and they said they didnt haved any in stock and it was easier/faster to just put on a new chain that they had in stock (DID chain)

shouldnt dealers stock up on those kind of stuff ?...i mean...it would be common sense to

This is why I don't like to have dealerships work on my car/bike. They take matters into their own hands at our expensive.

When you called them you should have told them that you never authorized but understand the situation which is why you're willing to work something out. Like a 3 free oil changes or a reimbursement for the difference or what have you.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
teg said:

You got ripped.
First, the bike probably came with a D.I.D. chain (mine did).

Second. No reason why a chain with 350 miles on it would need replaced unless it was defective. In which case it would be covered under warranty.

If I were you, I would go back and demand a refund and/or my chain put back on. Then I would avoid that STEALERship like the plauge.

EDIT: What is the name of this place? I think it is time for another E-mail blast to a crooked dealership to let them know how our community feels about them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I find that if the dealership is moving their mouth, they are probably b*llsh*ting you. Unless they chopped it off with a hacksaw, you can put a new masterlink.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would go to the dealership, head right to the parts counter and ask for that masterlink. Once the parts guy came back to the counter with it, I would then go to the service manager and let him know that they did indeed have one and that you didn't authorize the replacement chain. Ask them to remove it and replace it with the OEM chain and masterlink from the parts desk.
When (if) he refuses, then it will be time to contact Honda's customer support, and let him know that. I would have raised hell to begin with rather than pay for a new chain and take delivery of the bike from the service department.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok i went back there, asked for the store manager and told him about my situation, he said they might have the masterlink in stock but it "could be different size, and different chain have different size masterlink" and that "service department probably thought theyre doing you a favor because you'll probably want your bike today and not wait a couple days for part to comes in"

so im thinking to myself...i dont know for sure but wouldnt all factory chain be the same and have the same size masterlink ? and that doing me a favor by COSTING me 140 bucks when it wasnt necessary WITHOUT asking me first ?

he said he'll talk to the big boss tomorrow and see what they can do and will call me back

i'll keep you guys updated

off subject, but i also talk to the salesguy who sold me the bike, he asked about my powdercoated swingarm and pegs that tripage did so i told him about 600rr.net, hopefully he'll join the crew, he ride a yellow '03

N

·
0 Posts
teg said:
off subject, but i also talk to the salesguy who sold me the bike, he asked about my powdercoated swingarm and pegs that tripage did so i told him about 600rr.net, hopefully he'll join the crew, he ride a yellow '03
Is his name Slava?....hahaha

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Nemesis said:
Is his name Slava?....hahaha
Ruuuuun!

Dude, cut your loses and file a BBB report cause they ain't calling you back. If the Store Manager won't/can't do anything about it and has to "...talk to the big boss", then he's blowing you off.

Name of offensive Dealership please.

·
Registered
64 Posts
to let you know,if it wasnt on your work order,you dont have to pay for it,

hes bullshiting you ,more days he can brush you off,less of a leg you got to stand on,btw how did you pay for it?cc i hope
call your cc company and dispute it so they dont get there money,and did they give you stock chain?
i bet they did this cause you young,im guessing
raise hell ,this is not correct business

sorry but you messed up by picking it up and paying for it,stand your ground
just by what you typed anf service manager you can tell hes full of ****
if they where tring to help you they would have called to get permission to replace you chain with a NEW ONE,
go get them boy and dont come home til you have your money

mike

1 - 20 of 59 Posts