Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know if there was a clear coat of paint on a 04' Blue honda.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Meddiepie :lol2:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i thought only the tank has a clear coat? after 15,000 plus miles on mine, my nose is taking a beating. battle damage :lol2:

later

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I believe only the tank has a coat of clear on it as mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
GA_RR, your right,only the tank has it

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a blue 04 and the paint scratches ridiculously easily! I've put RaceFace (clear plastic adhesive) on my tank to stop my leathers scuffing the paint, and on the nose to stop stone-chip. I'd highly recommend something similar, esp. after looking at my mate's GSXR1000 nose after a few months... it looks like it's been sandblasted!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
On the 600 and 1000RR there's no clear coating on tank covers without decals.
For 03 and 04 models those are the yellow, black and blue ones.
The red/black one with the wing on the sides does have a clear coat on the tankcover to prevent the decal from coming of.

It's a known problem and in Holland you can have your tank cover claer coated and Honda will pay for it.
I assume Honda will do the same in the US.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wasn't even aware of a clearcoat on the tank at all. I highly doubt my '04 Black/Silver has a clearcoat, because even after a few hundred miles my tank was scratched to hell from my jacket. I ended up getting a Progrip tank protector shortly after, but you can still see scratches around the Progrip.

I've never heard of Honda paying for you to have it clearcoated. Anyone else know anything about this? I'm just planning on having the whole bike repainted a unique color and then clearcoating the hell out of it once my paint gets bad enough. heh.

·
Registered
665 Posts
dracus, I just bought an blk/slvr '04 RR where the owner removed the silver decals from the tank. He did a pretty good job at it but unfortunately there IS a clearcoat on the tank leaving behind an outline of the decals.

I think I'm just going to purchase an all black tank cover and sell this one. Having things painted in LA is rediculous.

·
Registered
494 Posts
BH600 said:
dracus, I just bought an blk/slvr '04 RR where the owner removed the silver decals from the tank. He did a pretty good job at it but unfortunately there IS a clearcoat on the tank leaving behind an outline of the decals.
That's weird. So maybe it's just Honda's clearcoat that sucks. hehe.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
:bitchslap: to all of you. There may not be 7 or 8 layers of clear coat, but the paint itself on the bike is clearcoated. The tank, they clear coat over the wings (which is why you notice that it's there) so that it's less likely your knees will peel the wings off the tank. Without any kind of clear coat, the paint would chip off 10 times easier then it already does

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Meddiepie954rr said:
:bitchslap: to all of you. There may not be 7 or 8 layers of clear coat, but the paint itself on the bike is clearcoated. The tank, they clear coat over the wings (which is why you notice that it's there) so that it's less likely your knees will peel the wings off the tank. Without any kind of clear coat, the paint would chip off 10 times easier then it already does
:bitchslap: to you. :D Actually lots of things are painted with acrylic enamel which has a hardener mixed in before it is sprayed and doesn't require clear coat. I'm not saying this is what our bikes have(you're probably right, I bet they have a light coat of clear) But all paint jobs aren't necessarily base coat, clear coat on autos/bikes.

·
4,452 Posts
GA_RR said:
Meddiepie954rr said:
:bitchslap: to you. :D Actually lots of things are painted with acrylic enamel which has a hardener mixed in before it is sprayed and doesn't require clear coat. I'm not saying this is what our bikes have(you're probably right, I bet they have a light coat of clear) But all paint jobs aren't necessarily base coat, clear coat on autos/bikes.
I mean, I know nothing for certain, but I have a really hard time believing that our bikes aren't at least some what clear coated...

·
Registered
168 Posts
if your in doubt about clear coat you can take a piece of 1500 wet sand paper and in a spot where it wont show just rub very lightly if its clear coated it will look like white on the paper if its not it will be the color of the bike.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Regardless of whether there is a thin layer of clearcoat, or no clearcoat at all, the fact remains that WHATEVER is on there sucks ass. Honda should have spent $100 more per bike and put a clear bra on the tank cover. Then none of us would be here bitching right now.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone makes a clear bra that would fit the tank cover. That would be a good idea! I'd buy it..

·
4,452 Posts
dracus said:
Regardless of whether there is a thin layer of clearcoat, or no clearcoat at all, the fact remains that WHATEVER is on there sucks ass. Honda should have spent $100 more per bike and put a clear bra on the tank cover. Then none of us would be here bitching right now.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone makes a clear bra that would fit the tank cover. That would be a good idea! I'd buy it..

Or you could go buy one of "Tankslappers" products...which is just like that

·
Registered
168 Posts
im a professional autobody tech and the paint honda uses is garbage.you can take your panels to a shop and they only have to scuff them good and clearcoat them.no paint or worry about color match problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts