Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New poster, but been a lurker here for a bit. I've always been a huge fan of RR's, and it looks like the stars may finally be aligning for me to take a step up from the 81 CB750 I've been rocking lately (cool looking but not nearly fast/sporty enough!)

I found an 07 600RR on Craigslist. The posting was a few weeks old, but I called the guy up and he still has the bike. Turns out he's a firefighter, and he wants to buy a house, so he's trying to reduce his debt. Here's the content of the listing:

I have For Sale a 2007 Honda CBR 600RR. It has 9184 miles on it. Runs great. I purchased the bike NEW in late 07. I had a low side at about 30 MPH when i first bought it. Cosmetic damage only. I replaced plastics and the clutch cover is still scratched. Extras include:

Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Slip-On
-1 Front Sprocket
Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light w/ Built-In Turn Signals
Fender Eliminator with LED Tag Light
Mirror Block Off Plates
Michelin Pilot Powers with approx. 50% tread left

The bike needs a new chain. This would be a GREAT time to upgrade to a 520 chain and pick your sprockets to your needs or wants.

If you opt to i will throw in a Medium Black HJC Helmet and a White and Black Joe Rocket Honda Riding Jacket.

It has been a great bike but im looking to get out of debt so i can look at purchasing a home. There is a lien on the bike and i will be accepting payoff for the bike. Im not gonna make a dime on it.
Here are the pics from the ad:

I talked to the seller on the phone today, and he told me that he owes $5010 on it, so he'll take $5k. Obviously it's not the lowest mileage 07 out there, but it still seems pretty reasonable, particularly if he's had the -1 front sprocket on for a while. Clutch cover would be an easy repair (sand/repaint), and he did tell me over the phone that two of the plastic tabs on the lower fairing are broken, but it doesn't affect anything. Still sounds like an awesome deal, especially with the parts he has listed on it.

What do you guys think? Would I be stupid to pass it up? Any potential issues I should look for when I go to check it out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
i would pay 5 for it, or offer him 4800 cash and he may take it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal, if you want a bargaining point tell him you want $400 off to compensate for the new tires and chain & sprockets you are going to have to buy. In my experience when people say 50% tread they mean the wear bars and level with the rest of the tire but there is still a groove. But ya if he replaced the plastics sounds like a good deal. I would do it (pending it doesn't have a cracked/bent frame or something like that).

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. Offer him a little less but if he wont budge than 5k is still good deal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I went to check out the bike today and snapped a bunch of pics. It's not as perfect as I would have hoped, but nothing terrible. Tell me what you guys think, and how much/whether I should adjust my offer accordingly.

He told me that his rates have gone up (he said something about it's from only paying the minimum, but if the interest increased he had to have missed payments...). Anyway, his monthly payment is ~270, but something like 180 of that is interest :retard:. His payment is due around the 16th. So if he doesn't sell by then, the bike will still be worth about the same, but he'll have lost that 180 in interest. I'm thinking if I make an offer, I would offer $5k minus his upcoming payment (~4750-4800). That way, he can just take his next payment, plus my money, and have the bike paid off. Apparently he's got a boat and a new truck he has to make payments on, so he doesn't really have the luxury of time to keep sitting on the bike.

So here's the bad:

Two of the plastic eyes/tabs on the upper fairing are broken, letting the right fairing droop a little bit under the nose. I'm pretty sure I could rapid-prototype up a new bracket and epoxy it on, so not a big deal, but still an annoyance:

Missing paint/scrapes on the upper left edge of the front fairing. Does this look like something that could be touched up/repaired?

Gouge in the lower decal on the left side of the gas tank. Replacement would be like $20, so again not a huge deal:

Small crack in the left fairing. I could probably get the two sides to sit a little more flush and do some plastic repair on the back, but there would still be the small seam visible... Bummer. Anyone know how much these panels cost?

Light scrapes on the left fairing. Question for the experts: Could these be wetsanded out? It looks like raw plastic with a metallic flake embedded, so if I smoothed out the scratches would it look the same?

The reason the chain needs to be replaced at <10k mi isn't due to usage, but due to rust. Apparently he had to leave the bike outside during the winter... Also as a result, the weather seals on the forks looked a little cracked, though the seals are fine.

Right headlight cover is missing ($5, whatever).

Rear tire. This looks lower than 50% to me... (Good call, buechelr!). Thoughts?

[/IMG]

Whoever mounted his tires clearly sucks, and scratched up the rims. Various spots with the black finish missing, as well as some light scrapes around the edge of the rim. Might be able to touch it up? Example:

There are a few other little things, but I've probably bogged this thread down with more than enough pics. The rest are all here:

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/KevlarSTI/07 CBR600RR/?start=0

Other little things: various small rock chips/light scratches (scratches could all probably be buffed out, while the two or three rock chips are on the vinyl decals). Rear brake pad looks a little low. Turn signals are missing, but hey, I would get flush mounts anyway, so no big deal.

The mirror block-off plates are a little ghetto ($10 eBay special), and I'm not sure I like the idea of running without mirrors. He has the left one, so I could always just replace the right, but hey, $.

Oh, and the passenger pegs and rear light assembly are included with the bike (not pictured).

What should I do??

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Hmm with the damage $5k is alright but I would probably offer a little less. You can't just get a new sticker to fix the gouge on the gas tank. On the tank the stickers are under the clear coat.

My biggest concern is there is a lot of visible damage which makes you wonder if there are more issues that are not obvious with the bike.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would run from that bike. That's just me. Why not pay $6k for a perfect bike with 2k miles. I think that extra grand is money well spent.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of damage? Like, bent or broken fairing stays? Damage to the frame? Engine damage? I could always go back and look at it again.

The tough spot is, the guy claims he has another buyer who may take the bike soon (apparently she was approved for a loan, then denied after they found out the kind of bike? so she was meeting with the bank manager blah blah whatever). So if I was pretty sure I wanted the bike, I would have to give the guy a deposit (a deposit that he feels should be nonrefundable - ~$100 or so). Hard to know in advance what the smart call is.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Avoid it. Walk away and find something else. This guy either doesn't know enough or doesn't care enough to take care of the bike properly. If it looks like that on the outside I don't even want to think about what sort of abuse he put it through while riding. Don't let the other buyer thing pressure you into the purchase. Take your time and the right bike at the right price will show up eventually.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just as benchmark info....I bought my 05 last year for 4750 OTD. It had some rock chips and the brake fluid needed to be replaced. Other than that, clean bike.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree that he doesn't seem to be a real sport bike owner as in the shape this bike's in, poor cbr. Your bike reflects you.

I'd be ashamed to sell a bike looking like this one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Left outside for the winter? I would avoid it.

Keep your eyes open, you'll find a better deal out there for a bike in much better condition. This poor bike screams abuse.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The guy wasn't truthful! Plain and simple.
He didn't show pics of the damage in his ad.
He stated he replaced the fairings.
I replaced plastics and the clutch cover is still scratched. Extras include:
...which he did not.

By the time you replace the broken plastics, mirrors, controls, tires, and chain/sprockets you're much better off the find a better bike for near the same cost or buy a new one for a little more!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah there are plenty out there.... youll be sure to find something a little nicer. Dont let the weather getting nicer make you jump into anything

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was leaning that way and you guys confirmed my intuition. I'm too much of a perfectionist/too neurotic about my vehicles to buy something with so many little things wrong. A 3 year old bike should be in better shape. Hopefully something better turns up soon!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts