Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I find myself shifting between 5 - 7 000 rpm and i'll be going up to 50 kms in first gear sometimes, and usually only ride around in 2nd or 3rd gear, sometimes 4th gear if its an 80km/h + zone. Only on highways i'll be in 5th or 6th.

I've been reading that people stay at 7000rpm but at what gear? seems like they say they like to ride in 6th gear cruising.. how does that work?

is it all preference? since i seem like like the extra torque feel i get in 2nd and 3rd all the way up to 100kms/hr

thanks for your inputs in advanced

·
Registered
277 Posts
i dont see how it really matters. you can have it in whatever gear you want. just know the higher the gear the less the engine has to work and the more gas you will save. knowing that you should be able to figure something out.

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
I was actually just thinking about this today. last weekend was the first time out on the twisties and was also the first time I had staid in the upper part of the power band (omg what a difference but it felt like I was abusing her a little running that high..). I have to say for city driving I'm going to stay at 5-6k no need to push her that hard (unless Ur about to get squashed)

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
ride in what ever gear / what ever rpm range you are happy in

·
Registered
171 Posts
I try not to ride in 1st and 2nd for long in city driving. Its not at all smooth.

Not much in 6th either. Too less torque for city speeds (<45mph). At 45mph in 6th gear we are talking <5K rpm

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm never in 6th gear in the city? usually over 100K ill get into 6th, or 7th sometimes :banghead: damn i need a gear indicator lol. City im usually shifting between 5-6 id say
LOL... I'm glad I'm not the only one who attempts to shift into 7th :)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
:+1::+1::+1:

i'm willing to bet we all have at least a couple times

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
:+1: been there... done that!

it happens to everybody and after i feel like a :retard:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just for commuting id shift into the higher gears early as to save gas..Especially in city streets where you arent really going anywhere fast (traffic, lights etc)

For more spirited riding feel free to let the tach wind up to the top if you have the room to stretch out her legs lol

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
if you want to save fuel and cruise around then shift up man, you dont have to shift at high RPM's all the time...

on average i shift at like 6K, it gets a nice pop sometimes when i shift there so thats a good place for me, haha.

i have found that if i just stay in a gear or two higher than it also helps prevent me from going into squid mode.

and the fuel thing is reason enough, gas isnt getting cheaper...

Reactions: akl

·
Registered
158 Posts
I keep the RPM's low most of the time around town while commuting. Usually shift at 5K-6K and try not to let RPM's get any higher than that. I get close to 50MPG around town putting around like that. Awesome for the bank account but not much fun......

·
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer
5,882 Posts
I'm still not convinced my bike has 6 gears :retard:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.