Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having problem with the bike slow cranking after long ride in the high temp..actually not really high temp but hot enough for the fan to be kicking on constantly..took it in to the dealership and the tech check it out and said nothing is wrong with the bike..He suggest that i dont ride with hi beam on and avoid idling with the fan on.. :???: this is what was found.. Battery 12.96v with bike off..13.75v running with low beam,13.60v running with hi beam, 12.68v running with low beam and fan running,12.35v running with hi beam and fan running... This cant be right?? :?:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I noticed that my bike turns over slow when it's warm too, but it's never failed to start. If you ever find somthing out be sure to post it here. :cool:

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Being in florida i deal with high tempreatures all the time so i got a suggestion for you to try.
If and when you stop at a red light as soon as you hear the fan running shut the high beam off or, right as you pull into that light kill the high beam.
Once you start moving again trun it on, this simple solution workes for me.
My bike has 17500 miles and the battery is the original one since i bought my bike.
By the way i use my high beam at night too to many blind cagers around here , and even at night when the fan kicks on i shut my high beam .
good luck man ;-)

·
Registered
513 Posts
at what rpm are you getting these voltage readings ? if it's at idle , then yes , it sounds right . charging system output is tested at appx. 5000rpm , and should be around 14.5 volts . the dealer is right about not using the high beam and the cooling fan constantly running around town for sustained periods , motorcyle charging systems are basically ineffective around idle .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moeman
do you still have problem with the bike cranking slow after hi temp riding? i can always get my bike to slowly crank started, but i would like a strong crank over... :bounce: peace of mind :lol2:

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
no dave the situation you just mentioned only happend once long time ago my simple solution might sound stupid but trust me it works fan running , high beam on and motor idling all three working at the same time is tough on the battery i even shut my bike off on purpose sometimes when i know the light will take long time to change it crancked right up no problems at all so i know what iam doing is effective give it a shot and let me know what you think

·
Registered
97 Posts
r6beater said:
at what rpm are you getting these voltage readings ? if it's at idle , then yes , it sounds right . charging system output is tested at appx. 5000rpm , and should be around 14.5 volts . the dealer is right about not using the high beam and the cooling fan constantly running around town for sustained periods , motorcyle charging systems are basically ineffective around idle .
That's why they have a battery. If the charging system is sized properly and the battery is good, you should not have this problem. You should be able to operate all the equipment, and idle for extensive periods, say in heavy traffic, with no problems. The output is low at idle, but the battery picks up the difference. If this is a generic problem with the 600RR, then the charging system and/or battery are under designed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
r6beater said:
yes, all these reading where taken at idle.. i never saw 14.5v even @5k rpm.. i will take some more reading at 5krpm probably tommorow and see what the readings are..

·
Registered
419 Posts
the voltage readings that you are getting is correct due to the fact that you are putting a lot more load on the elect system with the extra voltage draw to power the high beam and fan. If you turn on your turn signal your voltage will go down alittle more. But I think that your slow cranking after long ride in high temps is the begining signs of a regulator failing causing high resistance due to the heat from the exhaust and where the regulator is mounted. you will know for sure if after driving in stop and go traffic or long drive in hot temps and let the bike sit for about 5 mins and restart it. if the speedo goes dim and the number disappears like you have a dead battery then replace the regulator.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave said:
r6beater said:
yes, all these reading where taken at idle.. i never saw 14.5v even @5k rpm.. i will take some more reading at 5krpm probably tommorow and see what the readings are..
update readings at 5k rpm ..13.45v with low beam & fan on, 13.00v with hi beam & fan on...Anybody else have readings like this? bump bump :lol2:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Dave
13.45 seems a bit low , but the bike shouldn't be so hot as to have the fan running while doing this test . it's enough of a recharge , however to indicate the sysems working . my rr doesn't have a problem so i'll check my reading tomorrow (10-15 ) after work and let ya know

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
r6beater said:
Dave
13.45 seems a bit low , but the bike shouldn't be so hot as to have the fan running while doing this test . it's enough of a recharge , however to indicate the sysems working . my rr doesn't have a problem so i'll check my reading tomorrow (10-15 ) after work and let ya know
thanks in advance..btw its hard to keep the fan from not coming on while at idle ..it heat up so quickly :cry:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have noticed that if i turn the high beam off and keep the rpms up before i stop while in heavy traffic that it will fire right up after a short stop, like gas only. If i dont i will slowly crank and one time it just about didn't start at all. If it is a longer stop 10 min or more i have never noticed a hard start no matter what the demands on the system.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Dave
checked the output on mine , from start to full warm (appx 125 deg F ) 14 vdc ( high idle ) then dropping to under 13 volts @ 1300rpm . 5-7k rpm 14.09 vdc . all done with high beam on . didn't get so warm as to have fan come on , but a voltage drop would be expected . hope this helps .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts