Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K....some people keep yelling at me for what I wear when I ride. I understand what happens when you fall....fine.

I wear Icon Field armor (knees, elbows, and vest) with draggin jeans kevlar shirt and pants and people keep telling me I need to wear a leather jacket. Now...I am a big boy (6'2" @ 300lbs) and there is not much in the selection of leathers. I am trying to lose some weight so I don't wanna go out and buy some leathers....

I mean....all major parts are protected....what does it matter if I have leather or not?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Dude, if u want a one peice or two peice made, there are plenty of people that make custom leathers out there for good prices. Vanson, Bates, etc... ALL can make custom race suits and jackets. Its expensive but even kevlar doesn't handle the rigors of a crash as well as leather.

There is another company out there but I can't remember the name, Sedi, S something. Make custom leathers for GREAT prices, like 600-800 bucks.

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Virgil said:
Dude, if u want a one peice or two peice made, there are plenty of people that make custom leathers out there for good prices. Vanson, Bates, etc... ALL can make custom race suits and jackets. Its expensive but even kevlar doesn't handle the rigors of a crash as well as leather.
See...the field armor is abrasion resistant also....and as I said....I am losing weight.....it's pointless for me to throw down 1k on a leather suit that will be hella baggy on me in 3-6 months...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Like I said, I wish I could remember the name but they make custom leathers for easily the same price as an off the shelf suit. Starts with S, anybody know?

I would at least try and fit in something leather, alpinestars makes jackets that are pretty giving size wise. I maybe 5'7 but I have a set of shoulders on me and a decently sized chest, makes fitting jackets difficult.

It won't cover your arse when u eat ****, also, much easier to put on a jacket and pants then strap on a bunch of armor. Personally i think Icon is next to a wet paper bag protection wise. Its not CE certified to absorb impact anyways.

·
Registered
865 Posts
haha wearing icon field armor is basically like wearing nothing at all. do yourself a favor a get a jacket and some decent gear (icon doesnt count). coming from someone that has ate **** before...youll be doing yourself a huge favor. put it this way...i lowsided at only 40 mph and the leather of the shouder section of my A* jacket wore through the leather and into the CE armor. youll be thanking me when u dont have to get your upper body rubbed down with a metal brush and iodine.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Trust me, road rash sucks balls.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
bro, id say go buy some leathers if you do any aggresive riding. that should not even be a question. if you just cruise, there is a lesser chance you will go down, so it could be a calculated risk. its your decision.

i know a lot of peeps on here will not even go sit on their bikes without a full suit, just because even if you are just cruising, and get off at 75mph is bad no matter how you were riding that day.

i do ride without leather pants sometimes, but i replace them with riders jeans. i never go out without a leather jacket, gloves, and my a-stars boots.

personally, id sell all your icon crap, the draggin jeans stuff, and go buy a two piece to have for now, and sell it later. you'll probably make about half what you paid for it, as long as you havent gone down. and if you have, the leathers are worth every penny.

take it from someone who knows what it feels like to go down with no leathers. you cant even shower for like a week without it hurting...BAD.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Bought a MOTOGP compression suit for 550 bucks, deals can be had my friend.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Virgil said:
Bought a MOTOGP compression suit for 550 bucks, deals can be had my friend.

+1. got my a* stage suit for $560. props to MRI.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Virgil said:
Like I said, I wish I could remember the name but they make custom leathers for easily the same price as an off the shelf suit. Starts with S, anybody know?

I would at least try and fit in something leather, alpinestars makes jackets that are pretty giving size wise. I maybe 5'7 but I have a set of shoulders on me and a decently sized chest, makes fitting jackets difficult.

It won't cover your arse when u eat ****, also, much easier to put on a jacket and pants then strap on a bunch of armor. Personally i think Icon is next to a wet paper bag protection wise. Its not CE certified to absorb impact anyways.
Talking about Syed? they have decent prices too.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
yoyokata said:
Get some leathers, WHEN you go down it will be worth it both physically and money wise.
+1

SYED!!! Thats it, thanks. Thought I had lost my marbles there for a minute. They make quality suits for 600-700 bucks, custom fit to YOU! I beleive they make one peice as well as two peice, that way u have pants and jacket for when u want both and a jacket when u just want that. Draggin jeans will hold up well and pair that with a leather jacket and its a decent level of protection. I say go for some nice "long" gloves, definatly help in a crash. Looking at the alpinestars GP Tech gloves for my next purchase.

·
Registered
55 Posts
butterthegreat said:
I mean....all major parts are protected....what does it matter if I have leather or not?
Hey mang, its YOUR skin not mine, so it doesnt matter to me what ya wear.

Oh, have you ever seen any videos of guys in the ER, getting their rash scrubbed clean....................I have, thats why I gear up to ride!

Broken Promo (Motorcycle Accidents) - Google Video

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
yeah, hate a little rash but that was enough. That **** oozed puss for a month after. That was WITH neosporan.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You guys with the links aren't understanding...the biggest size they make is 52 I try to put on a 52 jacket and I can't even zip up the damn thing and if I do get it zipped up..I can't move or breathe....I have to be a 56 atleast!

And if you guys haven't read the crash boom bang section....I went down at 50-60 mph with NO gear on and got just a bit of road rash. I know what it's like to go down with NO gear at all....

I won't be doing any aggressive riding til June at the earliest. I just like to cruise.

EDIT: And syed costs 1k just like I said....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts