1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a weird issue thats going on.

My bike will sometimes start when the kickstand
Is down and sometimes it doesnt.

When the kick stand is down, itll sometimes idle rough.
When the kick stand is up everything is fine.

Also, when I put the kickstand down, itll sometimes idle
Rough or shut off "sometimes"

Its totally weird. I cleaned my kickstand switch, still having this issue. Anybody come across this?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bypass it altogether for a while and watch what the bike does. If it acts fine, replace the sensor. If not, well, give us more info and with some luck it'll be something simple.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it has to be something else. Cause the bike is in neutral when i'm trying to mimic these issues. maybe another sensor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok now I narrowed it down, I bypassed my kickstand switch. Now when the bike is hot, it wont start unless I pull the clutch it. It's also in neutral and the light is on. So what is going on with my bike? weird....

·
Registered
862 Posts
Clutch safety switch maybe? Although that should only kill the bike if you're trying to start in gear, the fact that you have to pull the clutch to start makes me wonder. Could also be part of the circuit that senses whether you're in gear or not that's taking a crap. I'm not familiar with that part so I can't help much there.

Is your idle fine now though?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I first start the bike everything is fine. after riding a few minutes. thats when it'll act up. My neutral light comes on, but it seems like my neutral safety switch is bad. When the problem was present, I pulled the plug and grounded it. Everything seemed fine. I filed down the washer and torqued the Switch really good. Thought it would solve the problem, nope. My idle is good, but when the problem is present, when I pull the clutch the rpm goes to normal, whne it's not pulled, the idle is kinda high and a little jumpy.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If its happening when it's hot only, you have a sensor somewhere that's failing.

To bypass the kickstand switch you just have to unplug it. Also, bypass the clutch switch. Just jump the two lines together.

Might want to test the neutral position sensor on the top of your crank case too. Just to be safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If its happening when it's hot only, you have a sensor somewhere that's failing.

To bypass the kickstand switch you just have to unplug it. Also, bypass the clutch switch. Just jump the two lines together.

Might want to test the neutral position sensor on the top of your crank case too. Just to be safe.
how do i test the neutral switch. the neutral light comes on.
already bypassed the kickstand

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Step 1: Get a manual.
Step 2: See pic below.

Also,
when I pull the clutch the rpm goes to normal, whne it's not pulled, the idle is kinda high and a little jumpy.
This is normal. It is programmed into the ECU as a way to help soften shifts. Disconnecting your Clutch switch (on the lever) removes this functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did that, everything seems normal with my Neutral Switch, I ordered a switch anyways just because it was cheap and I can get that out of my mind.

Step 1: Get a manual.
Step 2: See pic below.

Also,

This is normal. It is programmed into the ECU as a way to help soften shifts. Disconnecting your Clutch switch (on the lever) removes this functionality.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
If the neutral light comes on the switch is working.

Check all the grounding on your bike. Rough running and intermittent starting are consistent with bad grounds. The kickstand is likely coincidental.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually dremeled with a wire brush my grounds on the shifter side of the bike, neutral switch, and clutch switch. anywhere else I should check? maybe loose connections? what do you guys think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts