Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend on two different rides, two different 600s went off the road. Int eh Crash Bang Boom section BlueBlur examined his off road experience. That happened on Saturday.

On Sunday, Toka, DoingOK, myself and several others went for a ride in Pungo (south Virginia Beach). We headed out and I chose to hang in the back and just follow. About twenty or more minutes into the ride, we come up on a rough 90 degree left hander. DoingOK was directly in front of me following an older GSXr 600. In the corner, the GSXr appeared to check up mid corner (surface was rough). Off the road he goes. I check my mirror and see no one is behind me so I brake and watch it unfold. DoingOK shoot left and hit his brakes on the far side of the road, both of us expecting the worst.

The Suzuki rides through the ditch, quickly paralleling the bike to the road, but down a foot or so. I am expecting the bike to go end over end at any moment. I look up ahead and see a drive way crossing the ditch and I am unsure about a drainage pipe. I stop solely to gawk as I cannot believe what I am seeing. I knew the rider was going to get tossed when the bike hit the driveway.

Last moment the rider was able to steer left and ride up the embankment right at the driveway (at about 25mph at this point). He reenters the road with a little speed, composes himself and pulls over at the next driveway. I speed up to him as he takes off his helmet. He asked calmly for a cigarette.

There is a moral....

This guy did not go down because he never stopped riding. Sometimes it is time to bail, but when misfortune arises, do not panic! Ride the bike and maybe a good result will come.

(please note, there is still a time to bail, if the woods are right in front, get the hell off!)

V

·
0 Posts
Remind me not to ride with you... you are bad luck. ;-) Good to hear that the guy on the Gixxer made it out. When you mentioned DoingOk.. I thought to myself.. "Oh ****, please tell me he didnt crash with all of the CF on his bike....and the wheels!" lol.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
bah... you're a curse......

glad to hear he made it thru upright. my shoulder's feeling a little better atm. just waiting for all this wind to move thru before i get out and ride again.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
VinRR said:
Remind me not to ride with you... you are bad luck. ;-) Good to hear that the guy on the Gixxer made it out. When you mentioned DoingOk.. I thought to myself.. "Oh s**t, please tell me he didnt crash with all of the CF on his bike....and the wheels!" lol.

Hahahahahaha, I was thinking the same thing. I was like "ohh no, he's got too much money in that bike to go down...not Rich!"

Sucks to hear man. But that second get-off sounds amazing. What a save! I would have **** my pants if I saw that. I don't know if I would have believed it actually happened

·
Registered
268 Posts
Keep going this way and nobody will ride with you - not because they're afraid to, but because they will have all crashed.

Glad nobody go seriously jacked up.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've always wondered about those ditches when I lived in VA. Veer off the the road and wham! You're sideways! That's some crazy sheeet man! Glad your buddy is alright though... By any chance, are those twisties by the VAPD academy?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the crashes go....
Neither were in excess of 30mph.
Neither were damaging (except to ego, sorry Paul)

I don't know. I can think of plenty of places for something to have gone wrong in both occassions. I did not expect it in a slow corner either time. To avoid a common thread (me leading) was part of why i stayed in the back for the first part of the ride.

·
6,874 Posts
heh, it's all good. egos heal. i just picked up on something i need to work on. so, having said that, gimme advice on what i should/could have done right.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Wow... looks like I missed out on all the action this weekend. Man that sucks, hope your ok Paul. I can't wait to hear the story from you when we get up again...

Rich, sounds like you got a little adrenalin fix this weekend. Close one eh. When I first started reading the thread all I could think of was one of you guys was trying to run at Hondaf4iguys pace. He's quick, definately a fast rider.

Glad everyones safe.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Glad everyone made it out ok!! I'm with just about everyone else here that was thinking that Rich had ditched it!! That musta been a crazy site to see that guy doing some ditch riding. Remind me not to ride with you. ;-)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I thought for sure the kid in front of me was going down. I was just waiting for him to shoot out the ditch sideways and take me out with him . Nice ride, but it was the first time riding with any of the 5 others. I stayed in the back with Hondaf4iguy and let the kids go. Nice weather for sure.......f4iguy is quick......I'm sure he was chomping at the bit with the slower guys in front. Been alot of wrecks the last two weekends. On my 350 mile ride last weekend, one guy compound fractured his shoulder while going thru a split rail fence. I think I will wrap my bike in NERF foam from here on out. ;-)

BlueBlur: I mailed those parts to you this morning....expect them in a day or two. Enjoy.

Rich

·
Registered
881 Posts
I know a few guys like you f4iguy and everyone is always afraid to ride with them. Not because they can't hang or the guy is a dangerous rider, but a few guys are always the common denominator. When we group up and find out that one of them is coming, we then try to find an excuse to break off and go on our own. Yeah, I know it's superstition, but still... :D

·
6,874 Posts
I'll vouch for hondaf4iguy, he is always on the outlook for everyone's safety. and it definitely wasn't his pace that did me in, he was past the next turn when i went down. it ws def. my screw up. but it happens. and i learned from it.

Rich, check's in the mail. thanks again.

·
Registered
881 Posts
BlueBlur, don't get me wrong. I wasn't saying that f4iguy is a jerk or anything. I'm sure he's always looking out for people like most good riders do. It's just for whatever reason, when certain people show up to ride, whether it's a common or new group, whether riding front or back, someone goes down. After a while you start wondering, then make conclusions, it must be that guy. Personally, I don't care and isn't superstitious, but when your good buddies break off you tend to go with them.

·
6,874 Posts
ya, i get ya drift. i'll see how it goes next time i'm out with him, someone goes down, BAM!! there's ya curse...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Before we left to go riding, I saw Hondaf4i guy pour some kinda oily stuff on the 600's rear wheel. Not sure what it was......lol :bitchslap:

·
Registered
708 Posts
hondaf4iguy said:
Last moment the rider was able to steer left and ride up the embankment right at the driveway (at about 25mph at this point). He reenters the road with a little speed, composes himself and pulls over at the next driveway. I speed up to him as he takes off his helmet. He asked calmly for a cigarette.
Exactly at which point did he check his shorts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ride in Pungo all the time and am pretty sure I know what turn you are talking about, well there may be two. I had to ride into a field once there rather than dip into a turn I knew I took too quickly, but I didn't fall off and sure as hell didn't panic. I have had soooo many friends crash here and knew of some people who met the ultimate crash. P.S. some kids or residents there are throwing sand and other debris in the road around these turns and this place is infested with cops. There are alot better riding roads less frequented by riders up towards Richmond and west of Chesapeake where you can just ride and work on your skillz (track practice or stunt).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts