Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got my first flat tire ever today coming back home from doing some riding in Maine. Luckily for me, i got the flat not long after entering into my home city.

I am thankful that the flat occurred so close to my house, it occurred when I was going no faster than 20 mph, and that my dad was able to get the trailer and haul my bike back to our house.

anyway, i have some pics.

I first noticed some sloppiness in the steering (while in stop and go traffic) and then pulled over to the side. What I saw was this.

the flat is confirmed

this is the culprit - if it had simply been a nail, it may have sealed the hole, but since this was a tube, well ok u get it. A nail would have been dangerous perhaps if it blew later like at 80+ mph, so i guess i am lucky here.

this is the repair - standard tire "noodle" repair kit.... I hope it holds

For those still reading this post; my concerns are this:

1) Is this type of repair safe? I have heard that one should stay below 70 mph or so with this type of repair

2) since the culprit was fairly long and yes I admit i did do a tad bit of riding while the tire was flat (to get the bike onto the trailer), do u think i did damage to the inside surface of the wheel? (due to the culprit scratching the surface etc?)

3) Since i rode it a tiny bit while flat, do u think i ruined the bead? (I put 37 PSI in tonight, rode for 30 mins after making the repair and all seemed fine. I plan to check the pressure tomorrow morning as well as spray the repair area to see if there are leaks)

If it helps answer any of the above questions: Rear tire is a Pirelli Diablo corsa III with less than 3k miles on it

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
the only way to patch a MC tire is to dismount it, scuff the area around the hole, and put a patch on the inside.
im not a big fan of patching tho, only a temporary fix until u get the money for a new tire.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
i've patched tires with just a plug, and been fine. others i've seen have the plug fire outta the tire. if you have the funds, i'd just go with a new tire.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Honestly I'd contact the local pd... that looks a lot like the type of tube they use in spike strips. In which case you may actually be able to get money from victims comp (assuming this was true your rear tire would be the victim of a hsc)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly I'd contact the local pd... that looks a lot like the type of tube they use in spike strips. In which case you may actually be able to get money from victims comp (assuming this was true your rear tire would be the victim of a hsc)
that is a good idea. i will look into that tomorrow.........

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
definately get a new tire, but plug that one and have some burnout fun before you put the new on!

·
Fabulous Disaster
327 Posts
The only similarity between the two is a hollow tube. I seriously doubt it because there's no point on either end, and I've never seen a tire spike with a seam down the side. Tire spikes are cone shaped with a sharp tip and have cutouts in the sides. This looks like a dowel pin to me.

I would not trust any plug in a MC tire, a patch maybe, but I would just accept the bad luck and get some new rubber. It's a lot cheaper than a hospital bill.

·
Registered
923 Posts
i think the plug is ok, i have my 1st flat like 3 weeks a go, same going like 30mph and just start to feel how the rear tire move funny i was like WTF check on the traffic light and yes it was the rear so came to the work and put the plug some air and thats it, i ride like that since then, and all good, i cant afford now the tire but im saving for the new one cos is time to change it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
that should be temporary. Focus on getting the funds for a new rear tire soon.... I would not be able to ride comfortably knowing my rear tire is patched up. My opinion...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Temporary fix only. I would recommend replacing the tire once you get the chance and try to find a place that offers a road hazard warranty. After replacing two rear tires in one summer I finally purchased a new set from Cycle Gear so the next flat will be covered.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I did 2 trackdays, lead pack in the novice group, with a plugged Michelin PP.

It'll hold.

·
Registered
293 Posts
you know i just had the same thing happen.. i repaired the flat and it never blew on my i rode it for about a month before i replaced it.. I prolly could have gone longer on it i was just scared

1 - 19 of 19 Posts