Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

It wet and rainy out

4K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  Hughie1987 
#1 ·
So what do you guys do when its drizzling or raining and you want to ride? I want to go practice slow speed **** more but I dont want to drop it because I couldnt wait til it dries up, I do know of people who ride all year long on harleys and have been caught in rain on the way to work etc haha

#3 ·
The only days I omit are the rainy ones. If I have no choice, I would and I actually would enjoy it, however the bike would get really messy afterwards, I feel.

I just take a break from riding during those times... And then come back strong and excited when it dries up - which normally doesn't take too long.

#10 ·
What kinda bike is that mv? Or model i should say

#11 ·
You just gotta me more careful in the rain. A lot if it is common sense: don't accelerate to hard, and give yourself plenty of time to stop.

I prefer not to ride in the rain, especially when it's blinding and you can barely see in front of you. Imagine what a car behind you sees with our tiny Integrated smoked taillights. Plus, hitting a big puddle of water, which is very likely where I live due to so much road contraction and the changing terrain, can make you shatter diamonds with your butt hole you'll be clenching so hard.

#27 ·
Many of us have ridden in the rain. Its not necessary to ride in the rain if you own a car. If you don't have a car, then by all means gear up and ride if you must. The key is waterproof gear and ride more carefully.

Its not about comparing dry-wet conditions. Even riding on asphalt during the early morning can closely resemble wet conditions. Or just wait after the rain stops (if possible) instead of actually riding in the rain.

I don't particularly enjoy riding in the rain after being drenched multiple times in crappy FL weather.

#13 ·
I'm from England, there's no avoiding the rain!

I avoid riding the CBR in the wet purely because I hated the mess the bike would be in after one wet ride, cleaning every time is a major pita.

Added to that, the road salt laid down in winter to stop the roads freezing will corrode things pretty quick if not rinsed off after every ride. There are good anti corrosion treatments such as ACF50 etc but even so, I liked her looking clean.

I'm no fair weather rider though. I have a winter hack 125cc that I use throughout the crappy weather. Wearing the right gear makes it more than bearable and riding throughout the wet weather/winter will only improve your riding ability.

#18 ·
Mobile is one of THE wettest cities in the US. I've been in rain more time than I can count. Just be careful. After 4 years I had my first drop in the rain pulling away from a stop sign. I won't even so much blame it on the rain more than I took my eyes off where I was going. It's all good though no bike damage just a few scratches.
http://blog.al.com/live/2013/02/mobile_-_not_seattle_-_the_rai.html

#19 ·
I ride all year round. If there looks to be any rain, the waterproof suit and A* waterproof boots come out. Bike is my daily commute so have no choice.

#25 ·
Quit 2 wheel riding in rain after some time in Thailand.

They have a lot of concrete roads there.

When wet, they where killers.

got into some big slides.

Later,when dry would go back and check the points where i would slide, and the road was polished glass smooth...

No more rain riding if i can avoid it.

#31 ·
Yes that was part of the problem.

the other part was the concrete road surface was polished almost glass smooth on some of the roads....

really smooth.....i would see people on Honda 110cc's spin/lowside at low speeds when the roads got damp(er)

also, noodle cart greasy broth slopping out of pots, slickened a lot of the more busy streets.

I'm getting flashbacks thinking about it....

#33 ·
I've been riding shine or rain for 8 years now. My favorite riding condition? Rain. It required a new set of skills. I've learned how to ride with fog inside my helmet, blinded by the splashes, cold temperature, packed with clothes from head to toes, trying to stay dry, watched for cagers, slippery pavement, manhole, paint, road patches, and at the same time splitting lanes. Scare? Yes.

Only time you won't see me ride is snow but then I'm in Cali so yeah, it's all year round for me.

#35 ·
It's too much unnecessary risk for me personally. It's not worth it to do ride in the rain intentionally. I agree it's good to know how to ride in the rain for whenever you happen to get caught in it, but it's not worth going out in the rain when I've got a cage as well. That's just my preference.

#34 ·
Riding in the rain isn't bad at all in my opinion as long as you have waterproof gear. It started snowing/ ice raining one time for me and it was terrible

#37 ·
I won't leave my house in the rain to ride on purpose
Unfortunately, the bike is my only commute. The wife has the car for taking kids to/from school e.t.c.

Sold the other car (registration + fuel was expensive being a V8), so bike for me!

#38 ·
I think it depends on where you live. I like riding in the rain when I'm in Texas or Florida. The only part that I hate is getting my gloves or boots wet. The first time I got caught in a torrential downpour was really fun, I had to pull over at a gas station because I was laughing hysterically. I just like it, idk why.

But if you're talking about rain on mountain roads, yeah, f**k that. My scariest ride ever was on the Blue Ridge Parkway in a really bad thunderstorm. The street was covered in branches and leaves, warning signs telling me about "Rock Slide Areas" aka impending death. It's too stressful, too many dangers. I'll pull over and wait it out, read a book or something.

#42 ·
here in cali and it rained on me :| was fun and only my sleeves are mostly wet from where my textile jacket opens for ventilation.

im worried what to do after the ride? i have it parked inside the garage but the bike is hot and theres water on it so its steamy and stuf. should i leave the garage open for a little? pop a window open?

#43 ·
I try to avoid it, but sometimes the itch is too heavy, or there is no choice.

Bike gets super dirty though. Salt in the winter, dust & dirt in rural areas. And it gets EVERYWHERE!

RainX kinda fixes the blurry vizor for me, so that's ok.
Normal raingear is ok in winter. Too damn hot in summer though.

I'm also super cautious in the wet... Gotta be super fluent. I try to do no sudden hard moves, use rear brake so stabilize.

Rain is ok, but has consequences

#45 ·
I'll ride in the rain, but generally tend to avoid it as I only really ride for fun, and I don't find riding in the rain much fun.
Just give it a wipe down and clean & oil the chain after, and you'll be fine.

I used to ride my custom in the rain all the time, and that was mostly chrome with an exposed airfilter. These plastic bikes aren't going to notice it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.