Discussion Starter #1
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Aug/040819jk.htm

Laguna Seca: USGP Is On, Baby
"in principle"
by staff
Thursday, August 19, 2004
Laguna Seca makes this release:

MAZDA RACEWAY LAGUNA SECA ANNOUNCES RETURN OF MotoGP IN 2005

SCRAMP and Dorna reach five-year agreement in principal to bring the world's fastest motorcycle racing back to Monterey

MONTEREY, Calif. (August 19, 2004) - The Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP) and Dorna Sports, the Spanish-based company that holds the commercial and TV rights to the FIM MotoGP World Championships, have reached an agreement in principal to bring MotoGP, the pinnacle of international motorcycle racing, to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca beginning in 2005 for a five-year run.

Following the initial agreement, Dorna will include the U.S. Grand Prix in the 2005 MotoGP pre-calendar to be presented to the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) for its approval.

"The support from fans and sponsors has been of great encouragement in this decision," said Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca General Manager Gill Campbell. "Corporate sponsorships are vital for the track improvements that will need to be made to satisfy FIM regulations.

"We feel that we have a great product with a tremendous amount of potential. We continue to produce world class events at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and that's what we're all about."

"Dorna has always been looking into the possibility of coming back with MotoGP to the USA," added Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO Managing Director, Dorna Sports. "Now, thanks to the great cooperation among all the parties concerned and to the modifications being made at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, we are very happy that we have found the ideal opportunity to do so. The United States is an interesting market for MotoGP and certainly all the partners, manufacturers and sponsors involved will be very positive about returning there."

This enthusiasm and belief in the sport of MotoGP is shared by Red Bull Energy Drink. They have partnered with Dorna and will be the title sponsor of the race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in 2005. The event will be officially named the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix.

The 500cc Grand Prix World Championship (now MotoGP) raced at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from 1988 to 1994. There are once again a number of Americans competing in MotoGP, including Kenny Roberts Jr., who won the 2000 championship, Nicky Hayden, Colin Edwards, John Hopkins and Kurtis Roberts. The list of past American champions is a who's who of motorcycle racing, including "King" Kenny Roberts (1978-1980), Wayne Rainey (1990-1992), Eddie Lawson (1984, '86, '88, '89), Freddie Spencer (1983, '85) and Kevin Schwantz (1993).

The dates and support events for the 2005 Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix will be determined in the near future.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
i wish thay had it at barber motorsports park way closer to us
FLORIDIANS then CA but oh well at least motogp is finally coming back without any doubt i will start saving some dough so i can attend that event and hopefully hook up with some CA forum members and have a party and do some riding if i can rent a bike that would be awsome and an american winning the race that without any doubt would make the grand finale :lol2:

C

·
0 Posts
Man, I'm so excited.. Look for a RV with a banner that says 600RR.net (FREE BEER)
:spit: :bday: :cheers: :Fiddy: :eviltongue: :elefant: :cheerss: :horseride: :pimp: :cruising: :cake: :salute: :thumbup: :shock: :drool: :Big Bounce: :chowdown: :ayecapt: :signhere: :call2: :bebored: :bath: :banban: :beer: :drunkensmile: :rocker: :rofl: :Hick: :Flag: :Humpty: :Spin:

Call 1-800-327-SECA during West Coast business hours, or send an email to [email protected] for ticket information. Fans who purchased tickets to last month's Honda Superbike Classic at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca will be allowed to renew their orders for the 2005 Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix prior to tickets going on sale to the general public.

You can purchase tickets on october 25th for the USGP.

Final pricing won't be set for another week or two.

They said pricing will be only a bit more than WSB weekend.

THey said roughly 90-100 bucks for the weekend pass.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
cv
being a califonian help us out with info if you do not mind
1.what is the best package to buy ?
2. what is the best city to fly into ? i know you might say i am stupid or something which is ok ( lol ) but i need to start looking into flight arrangments hotel arrangments etc
thanks man ;-)

C

·
0 Posts
moeman,
You get the 4 day pass (with paddoct pass). Try and get a good parking pass (see if I can get you a parling lot #1 pass) But the parking isn't that bad unless you have to park at the bottom of the hill.
Fly into LA then to Monterey and have a rental car waiting (Escalade)
Stay at the Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley....(other side of Laurales Grade g-20) 5* accomodations.... Rent my 600RR and drive it down to Big Sur and back on Monday.. Go home after that.....

Or you rent a RV from Dan Gammel in Gilroy, reserve a camping spot, Fly into San Jose, take the airbus to Gilroy, drive the RV to Laguna, Stay all week! Drive back to Gilroy, take the airbus to San Jose, Go home...

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
corleone
fly over and make a vacation out of it that is what iam planning on

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
cv
thanks for the info bro

C

·
0 Posts
fm5150, I'm not sleeping dog... I'll be posted up at the back of the truck filled with snow and 6 kegs of beer... Fernando, don't worry mang... I'll set up a tent for ya! ;-)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Is this a good plan or bad plan? I can get a flight into San Jose from Tampa for about $235 - SJ is about an hour north of the track right? I could rent a car and drive from there?

C

·
0 Posts
JetBlast10, That's a perfect plan. Just get into Monterey early in the week so you don't fight the traffic. Wed. you'd be safe. A good place to stay is the small motels in Carmel Valley. Just over Laurales grade so you don't have to fight the town traffic. Check here for lodging: http://www.carmelvalleycalifornia.com/

There is a few other small motels in Carmel Valley. Or you could stay at the Embassy Suits, Or Double Tree, Or Marriot, Or Monterey Beach Hotel, Or the good Cannery Row spot is at The Plaza Hotel...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I called 4 hotels and they say all the rooms are booked. I booked 4 rooms already at one place. Call now before everything gets sold out. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts