1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Biaggi on Suzuki Superbike

Biaggi to Announce Suzuki Superbike Deal at Imola

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/worldsuperbike/32369/

Biaggi to Announce Suzuki Superbike Deal at Imola

Written by: Dennis Noyes Lausitz, Germany – 9/8/2006 Max Biaggi (Photo: Andrew Northcott)

The two biggest question marks in the World Superbike paddock can now be removed from behind the names of James Toseland and Max Biaggi. Toseland has confirmed that he will stay with the Ten Kate Honda team in World SBK, while Biaggi will announce at Imola a contract with the Alstare Corona Extra Suzuki team.

Both riders have turned down offers to ride in the d’Antin-Pramac Ducati MotoGP team.

In Toseland’s case, the 2004 World Champion (with Ducati) says that he would have gone to MotoGP if he had gotten a ride with a Honda satellite team.

First indication that Biaggi was backing away from a d’Antin deal came when he failed to attend a meeting to discuss contract details of the MotoGP deal.

Francis Batta, owner of the Alstare Suzuki team, admits he wants Biaggi for the team, but would make no comment. Sources very close to Max (and the most reliable in the past as regards news from Biaggi), however, have said, under condition of anonymity the deal was “100 percent done” and that it would be announced at Imola at the penultimate World Superbike round coming up in three weeks.

It seems that Biaggi and Troy Corser will ride as a team with Yukio Kagayama and, probably, Max Neukirchner, riding in the “Alstare Engineering” parallel team.

Remaining questions:

Where will Alex Barros ride? He is unlikely to continue with Klaffi. If Winston sponsorship continues in Ten Kate, then Barros could join Toseland, replacing Muggeridge. This seems the most likely option. With Ten Kate getting 80% of Honda Europe’s budget, a Toseland-Barros team could even be on the cards without Winston sponsorship. Japan Tobacco International, owners of the Camel, Winston Mild Seven (among other) tobacco brands took a corporate decision two years ago to withdraw from motorsports…a decision that they described at the time as “irrevocable.” Then came Valentino Rossi. Now Italian Winston and Camel executives are making a last-ditch effort to convince J.T.I. to revoke their “irrevocable” decision.

Who will team in the factory Ducati team with Troy Bayliss, who has signed for another two years? The word here is that Ducati will stay with young Lorenzo Lanzi for another season.

Finally, what does the future hold for Carl Fogarty’s team?

If he can find sponsorship, he can run a Ducati satellite team. In fact he could run a satellite team with any brand. The team has contacted several riders, among them Spain’s Fonsi Nieto (who has an offer to continue with Kawasaki and a deadline to accept or decline at Imola). The team is speaking to several possible sponsors and to three brands, but time is running out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Welcome back to racing, Max. He should add some "controversy" to WSBK for sure.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
So much for MotoGP rumor.

Jason

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Visitor Q said:
So much for MotoGP rumor.

Jason
There wasn't a rumor. He turned down the Ducati MotoGP ride as well he should. No reason to join GP racing again if you're on a "backmarker" bike....

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm surprised he swallowed his pride and actually went to WSBK. I never questioned the guys ability or mental resolve, but he's got a bigger ego than HRC.

·
Registered
352 Posts
skittzo said:
I'm surprised he swallowed his pride and actually went to WSBK. I never questioned the guys ability or mental resolve, but he's got a bigger ego than HRC.
+1, but...I guess he got tired of not being able to compete though. Maybe he hopes to move to WSBK, prove his worth as a competent rider, then move back to MotoGP on a more competitive team.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
There wasn't a rumor. He turned down the Ducati MotoGP ride as well he should. No reason to join GP racing again if you're on a "backmarker" bike....
That "backmarker" bike didnt seem to be doing too bad for Loris :) I would think the GSV-R is more backmarker than the Duc

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
oh no.... lol.
hey am i a bad person, so kinda hoping he wouldnt get a ride again?
so whos gonan be his teammate(s)? i didnt see that part?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Awesome. It'll be good to see Biaggi stirring up crap again and racing to win or crash :)

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
I still like Max ;-) PTTTTTTHHHH to all of you.. hehe

·
Registered
990 Posts
chkaotic said:
That "backmarker" bike didnt seem to be doing too bad for Loris :) I would think the GSV-R is more backmarker than the Duc

That shoddy D'Antin team is just doomed for failure. They have never really done well except out of pure luck (Xaus at Qatar in 05).

Smart Biaggi didn't join them. It would've just made him look even worse when he would end up consistently losing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts