Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people seem to rush around now since it's summer. I read about people going down a lot now and it's worse when it's someone in LA. Please, be safe everyone. I don't like to read about people getting hurt anymore.

Try riding like you're afraid for your life. Seems to work. Be safe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't ride afraid, I ride alert. Always be aware of the world around you. If you ride afraid you will go down. Stay loose and ready for anything. If I was afraid of riding, I wouldn't.
Then really what would be the point. :beer:

·
Registered
876 Posts
aren said:
A lot of people seem to rush around now since it's summer. I read about people going down a lot now and it's worse when it's someone in LA. Please, be safe everyone. I don't like to read about people getting hurt anymore.

Try riding like you're afraid for your life. Seems to work. Be safe!
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Some of the best advice I got from a friend when I started riding was "ride like you are invisible; even if you think they see you, or they are looking you in the eyes, pretend they didn't."

And I've seen it... some people will look right at me before they turn in my right of way, or if I'm at an intersection, and I make eye contact with them, they'll still go in front of me.

Just becareful, brothas... lotta sad news out there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
dude.....it might sound funny but i got hit by a van.....he looked over really \quick and i thought he saw me.....trying to make the right in a small street near my school. this was in the morning while i was walking to school.....tapped any dirt if any off my leggs and looked around hoping nobody saw that.....guy....instead of apologizing made a face, talked **** and took off.....what a f***ing fag..... didnt really think of gettin his plates since i was worried about being seen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's weird the mental conversation I have in my head. Even though I honestly don't think I'm invulnerable, I will occasionally have the thought pop into my head - "you've been riding for years, you're doing something right - other people that get into crashes aren't like you, you're alert, you've got spidey reflexes."

That's when I have to pull up the images of other crashed riders who were way more experiened than I. I don't know how that mental conversation gets started, but I honestly feel that if I don't correct that conversation with a little bit of shocking fear, that I would eventually wind up dead.

It also helps to be humbled - like today when I went wide on the double yellow in a curve I thought I could take and the only thing that saved my ass is that there just happened to NOT be a car coming at that exact second.

Of course I could still wind up dead - it's an innately risky hobby.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sir Slickniss said:
Do u guys really ride like your afraid of your life or are u just very careful....>? do you guys go through alot of stress....lol.
It's not like I'm afraid of everything so I ride like a wuss. It's more like I am constantly evaluating the situation. I always plan where my escape is, in case I need get the F away from the retarded cager who is talking on a cell phone at the same time cutting me off.

No stress, it's more like thinking 10x faster than normal.

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeah, make sure your body is hydrated, so you can keep a cool head and better judgement... stop often don't push your limits because the pavement is hotter... it's the false sense of security that bites you in the ass... like in my case...

·
Registered
618 Posts
The "ride like you're afraid for your life" advice is just plain stupid. That takes all the fun out of it. I have always believed in the "ride like you are invisible" concept.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fear makes you aware

if you weren't afraid of getting into an accident you wouldn't care

plain and simple

·
Registered
155 Posts
One thing I noticed my dad does is he drives like hes in a small car, he doesn't go thought small cleareances unless they vehicles aren't moving, and he doesn't pass on the right when someones turning off the road until they are completely gone.... this is a good strategy cuz if they have a deer hop into their drive way or the road they are turning on to(a frequent occurence here) and they hit the brakes you might be in a sticky situ...

·
Registered
307 Posts
i saw a rider down on saturday for the first time. it seemed like the accident took place at a pretty low speed... but the rider was down for long. he didn't move much until the paramedic came (which is the right thing to do). it kinda got me worried about me riding.. but i guess i learned from it. be safe everyone! lives are precious

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
wtf

aren said:
fear makes you aware

if you weren't afraid of getting into an accident you wouldn't care

plain and simple

Fear does not make you aware, fear makes you paranoid, and when your paranoid you get jumpy and jittery The last thing you want to be is jumpy and jittery on a bike. I believe staying calm, focused, alert allows you to think clearly. I also like the ride like your invisible idea. be safe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts