Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
One Man Band
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've been riding on 2 wheels, I've always been under the impression that Higher octane is always better! No matter what the manual said, I always put premium in the bike!
I remember the manuals for my F4i and RR's always said to use 86 octane. Hell no...I've always felt safer putting in 93. Over the years all my bikes have been suggested using 87-89 octane so I always used 93 to play it safe. My ZX10R was the only one where it suggested using 91-93. Now I'm back to the simple cruiser and still had the same attitude about always using 93. I've been doing some research on this subject and found that using a higher octane than recommended can actually harm the engine in the long run! I started using 87 in the bike and have noticed it actually runs better! I've finally found out why:

"Have you ever wondered why there are different grades of gasoline? All grades of gasoline have what’s called an octane rating. So what is it and, more importantly, what should you use in your vehicles?
First of all, the engine in your vehicle burns fuel by compression – in other words, your engine is an internal combustion engine or burns fuel internally. The engine allows a mixture of air and fuel into the combustion area and a piston then compresses this mixture. Your spark plug then ignites this mixture causing an internally explosion that produces the power to run your engine.
Therefore, the octane rating tells you how much the gasoline can be compressed before it ignites spontaneously. Should gasoline ever ignite by compression rather than by the spark plug, then it would cause the engine to knock, possibly damaging your engine (think of it as taking a hammer striking the top part of your piston) – obviously this is not something that’s desirable.
Take regular gasoline with an 87 octane rating for example. This grade of gasoline would require less compression than gasoline with a 93 octane rating. Simply said, the higher the octane, the more compression it takes before spontaneous combustion occurs. Another way to look at it is that, the higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns, whereas a lower octane rated gasoline burns faster.
If you use a lower grade of gasoline than what your vehicle manufacturer recommends, then you run the risk of engine damage caused by pinging or pre-detonation. And if you’re using a higher grade of gasoline in an engine that wasn’t originally designed to handle a higher grade, you can actually reduce engine performance and gas mileage. How so? Since the higher grade of gasoline burns slower and you’re using it in an engine that was designed to burn a faster burning fuel, you therefore don’t burn all the fuel. If you don’t burn all the fuel, then all the air that is in the mixture isn’t burned either. Your vehicle computer sees more air in your exhaust system and then compensates by adding more fuel to this perceived lean running condition (more air). In short, you have more raw fuel being pushed through your exhaust system, causing your catalytic converter(s) to over work and possibly lead to premature failure, not to mention the pollutants released into the air. Unless you’ve had modifications performed to your engine (and computer reprogrammed) to run properly on a higher grade of gasoline, you won’t improve the performance of your vehicle just be buying a better grade of gasoline.
So which grade of gas should you buy? Use the grade that your vehicle manufacturer recommends unless you’ve had your engine modified and your computer reprogrammed to burn a higher grade of gasoline."

Not only does it run better but being that my bike is usually my main transport from May-November, I'm finding that I'll save myself quite a few dollars in the long run!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
pretty sure it says 91 under the passenger seat

·
Registered
393 Posts
going to check it out, i also reached the forum and in one of the many posts everyone recomends to use 87..oh well, since i just started riding ill use 87 since i wont notice any loss/gain in HP because the bike is already fast enough for me LOL.. thanks.

·
One Man Band
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"good info. thanks a bunch, my friends always tell me to use 93+ on my 05 600RR,... i dont have a manual, what is the recomended fuel for my type of bike?"

Believe it or not...it says 86! We don't even have 86 in my neck o' the woods!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
bananamane said:
pretty sure it says 91 under the passenger seat
how sure is pretty sure? are you sure that wasn't your paint code you were looking at? hahahaha just busting your balls bro. its 86 in the manual dude, it doesnt say anything under the seat about fuel octane.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
I have been using 89 for over 2 years now
and no issues at all bike runs great

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My teacher from auto school told me that all the gases are the same.
He used to work for a gas company and he said that.
It really didn't matter what number it was.
They do it to make money off of the dummies.
I guess I am a dummy.!

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
Question: Then why is it... when you use octane booster in your car, that you can notice a difference there???

·
Registered
393 Posts
mine does say 91 RON, ...oh well, i just filled up today with the "cheap stuff" and like i said,... i didnt notice any power loss/gain...but my wallet was a little hevier for some reason?;-/

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
All I know is that when it starts to blink... then you should go find gas soon! :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
i thought that higer octane gas was more explosive not lower

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
I heard it burns MORE efficiently... Also... if you have a turbo charged car... and you put some crappy 87 octane in it... it runs like crap! So... obviously octane does matter!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
i've gone as much as 30 miles with the blinking light. i wouldn't push it any further though, unless u got balls to push your bike to a gas station.

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
HA HA! That is a long time on the light! HA HA! Man... you must of had some balls then!
KhMeRGuY978 said:
i've gone as much as 30 miles with the blinking light. i wouldn't push it any further though, unless u got balls to push your bike to a gas station.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
yeah octane def. matters, they arent the same, its whatever the car requires. try putting 87 gas in a car requiring premium such as my honda prelude, it would knock like a mothereffa! knocking.. NOT GOOD. and why did i use my prelude? cuz its a relatively cheap car, 4 cylinder, with high compression(think its 11:1 or somewhere close to that)

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
+1 That is exactly what I'm talking about! :)
KhMeRGuY978 said:
yeah octane def. matters, they arent the same, its whatever the car requires. try putting 87 gas in a car requiring premium such as my honda prelude, it would knock like a mothereffa! knocking.. NOT GOOD. and why did i use my prelude? cuz its a relatively cheap car, 4 cylinder, with high compression(think its 11:1 or somewhere close to that)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts