Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I got this cbr a few days ago and havent really had a good chance to ride it since then cause good old Seattle has been raining non stop and the rear tire is real bald.

Its an 03 600rr. I just took it out today cause the rain let up and my goodness this bike is fun! I'm not gunna push the full limits till I get some new tires. I'll be going with Michelin Pilot Powers, probably not the best, but the most cost efficient.

I ordered front and rear vortex stands and figured they would be here by now, but dang Canadians took too long so now I have to wait another weekend. I also ordered a decal kit in carbon fiber, got those and will be putting those on tomorrow morning.

My plans for the bike are as follows:
- Gold or Blue stainless steel brake lines
- Would like a gold windscreen
- Gold hardware
- Gold rider and passenger pegs
- Carbon fiber decals (Done)
- HID headlight kit
- Gold JPR or ASV levers
- Gold rim decals
- Oil change (Done)
- Gold D.I.D chain and sprockets (EK chain* Done)
- New Pilot Power 3's (Done)
- Gold mirror block off plates
And I think thats it for now. Will most likely be more stuff I want to do but honestly I like it how it is! It has dual IXIL exhaust (really loud and snappy sounding) and an EFI tuner. Other than that its stock that I know of, except for the usual fender eliminator and flush mounts, and paint.

But enough talk, time for pictures.

Heres the decals I got and will be putting on tomorrow:

I like this forum so far just from cruising around, I hope you guys are as active as my last! Good to be here.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Welcome to the site. There are always more mods to do when you look at others bike and say dang I want that too....
Awesome looking bike man! Your just pumping money into that thing. I loveeeee the carbon fiber. I'm just going with the fake stuff for now, real is too expensive. But I got a few ideas from your build thread to get a carbon fiber thing for under the seat and rear hugger and rear cowl etc... etc...

·
BOTM winner 01/14
3,347 Posts
Thanks man. Yea it can get expensive. But how much it adds to the overall look of the bike, id say it's worth it. I have 8 more pieces coming that ill be adding in a couple weeks. Im pretty much done with the bike once I add these pieces. . Maybe a couple things here and there .

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks illest! Has always been my dream bike (well the 1000rr's) but 600 is good enough and should last me a longggg time. The decals were 20 dollars on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271244554603?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

shipped fast and they look like real carbon fiber lol. You can get a bunch of different colors too. My only complaint is that it looks like they were packaged without any care lol. came to me and the double sided tape was kind of pointless at that point cause they were all rolled up and stuffed in a little package.

Its definitely hard to tell from a little bit away, which came to me as no suprise, but they look cool up close.

Overall I like the quality of the decals, but its definitely harder to see from a far than I thought! lol

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

I have a question about chain and sprockets. I am going to replace my chain and I dont really know what brands are good and what brands arent. I am looking at both D.I.D and Volar chains. The D.I.D's are a little more expensive than the volars. What do you guys think?

Heres the Volar one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-O-Ring-Chain-and-Sprocket-Kit-2003-2006-Honda-CBR600RR-CBR-600RR-/360493022292?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACBR%7CSubmodel%3A600RR&hash=item53ef0efc54&vxp=mtr

Heres a DID or JPR one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/520-CHAIN-AND-SPROCKETS-KIT-HONDA-CBR-600RR-2003-2013-EK-RK-DID-D-I-D-MVXZ-/271281589010?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f29a48b12&vxp=mtr

Which chains would you guys recommend? Or how do you feel about these two chains? I like the Volar one because of the price lol.

Jake

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the venom front and rear stands from kapscomoto. Highly reccomend these stands. great price and a great product. Once I got home I got straight to taking the tires off.

Now its off to see the wizard and get some Pilot Power 3's on.

Ill be picking up a Vortex gold chain hopefully this weekend and front and rear sprockets. We will see soon enough if this bike is indeed geared down in the front.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Holy chicken strips batman!

Got the tires on after countless minutes of frustration with the rear tire and putting the front tire on with the spacers in the wrong location. The tires feel extremely grippy, and my steering seems more immediate, and somehow looser? I dont know if I am tripping out or what but this is my first set of new tires. All I did was take everything off then replace everything then lube the axels real good.

While I was at cycle gear I decided to get some new gear too, really happy with my selection!

Dainese Mugello jacket and AGV k3 Rossi Edition. (I know... Yamaha... He used to ride for honda :D)

The bill was pretty large and in charge with the tires on top, but I'm glad I got everything. Next up is gold Vortex chain and some gold braided brake lines somewhere down the line.

By the way, after putting the tires up and the first start up, the oil light was blinking, and then eventually went solid. I wasnt riding it at the time but it was running. After I shut him off and started him up again upright the light was off and never came back on. Bad oil pressure switch??

·
Registered
618 Posts
The tires feel extremely grippy, and my steering seems more immediate, and somehow looser? I dont know if I am tripping out or what but this is my first set of new tires.
This is typical with new tires, and nothing to worry about, you're just getting used to a different tire profile... you'll likely forget all about it within a few days! :thumbup:

The truth is, even if you were going from old to new, in the same brand/model of tire, it would feel a touch odd at first, since the old tires are worn, and a little "squared" off, essentially meaning you have to adjust to a "new" tire profile in this case as well.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This is typical with new tires, and nothing to worry about, you're just getting used to a different tire profile... you'll likely forget all about it within a few days! :thumbup:

The truth is, even if you were going from old to new, in the same brand/model of tire, it would feel a touch odd at first, since the old tires are worn, and a little "squared" off, essentially meaning you have to adjust to a "new" tire profile in this case as well.
Well I love it! Feels so much better when pulling or braking too.

And thanks HungRR! I love it and am glad to be a part of the family. To be honest the exhaust was a huge seller, cause I love dual exhaust and had never seen one in person on a CBR.

So the next upgrade coming up next weekend will be a new EK MVXZ gold chain with brand new front and rear superlight steel sprockets and all gold sprocket nuts. Along with a well needed oil change in my opinion, and the bikes first under my ownership. I rode to get a gallon of castrol part synthetic and a K&N oil filter last weekend.

I wish I had the bike at school :(((

Any alternative cost effective chain guards that you guys can think of? Other than taking it off? I would like to show off my new chain but the guard is big and bulky.

Jake

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I started off last weekend with a bang,

All of this equals a happy bike and a happy me.

The oil change when great, and while I was changing the oil I found the antifreeze to very empty.

I topped that off with some kawisaki anti freeze and distilled water. Went for a little ride to pick up a breaker and riviter and it felt great.

The next day my gold sprocket nuts came in, and I began to put the sprockets and nuts on, then left for the day and came back to do the chain late at night. Anyways, I ended up breaking off a female link on accident and was left with what would have been the perfect length, but was male on male... So I had to break another link and then the chain was too short :banghead::banghead::banghead:. I did a lot of research and contacted motomummy and came to the conclusion of buying another master link.

The way I comfort myself knowing that I will have two master links is that if you cant trust your self with 2 master links, you cant trust yourself with one master link. If they are done correctly there is no difference between that and a regular link.

Anyways, heres a teaser pic, chain will be on this weekend

·
Administrator
51,150 Posts
Got the mod bug addiction buzzing already that is awesome man SixHRR mod effect

·
Administrator
51,150 Posts
Haha thanks man. I definitely got the addiction, but not the money to withstand it for now. Classic addict story :(

I'm gunna make it as best i can though.
The broke boat I am the captain of such ship the key is to keep sailing it no matter what :thumbup:

·
Registered
455 Posts
The broke boat I am the captain of such ship the key is to keep sailing it no matter what :thumbup:
aye aye captain... forward!!... i've been a shipmate of this boat for a long time... matter of fact... i just got more broke lol... good luck bro and happy modding... keep it up!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha you guys got the spirit!

So I'm selling a few old pieces of gear on craigslist that could render me 130 doll hairs that can be put to good use for 80 percent of some gold asv levers, or cover all of a new fairing stay and gold mirror block off plates. What do you guys think? Which should i get?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love the bike. You live in Seattle eh? Welcome to the family and rain is part of the game. I rode tonight in the rain and pretty much every day unless ice or snow. its all about gear and controlled input. Fantastic practice of skills and situational awareness as we are invisible in our state.

1 - 20 of 572 Posts