Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Japanese radar camera hell! I miss the US.

This was an email sent to me from one of the guys i work with about his recent ticket near Tokyo. Getting kinda silly over here. Almost no cops on the road but a camera or sensor ever kilometer. Enjoy the email

Went to the police station in Chiba to confirm that the person in the OVIS photo was me. OVIS is the Japanese nationwide network of speed-trap cameras that take photos of speeders and allow police to issue tickets based on them. This one caught me on the way back from the airport going 144 km in a 100-km zone.

Oops. My radar detector didn't go off.

I found out later that the new one that caught me had induction sensors in the road and did not use radar to detect the speed. The friendly policeman asked me to identify myself as the person in the photo and explained the exact position of the camera and told me to be careful next time when traveling past it.

On the topic of police cameras, there is another, more sneaky camera system which many drivers mistake for OVIS cameras. These are the N-System cameras. They are not tracking your speed, but photographing all the plates that pass by and sending this information to a database that matches them against cars that have APBs out on them. In this way, the police know where everyone's car is being driven. This system was instrumental in catching many of the Aum Cult members. It has recently come under quite a bit of scrutiny, however, because it was deployed without Diet approval.

Anyway, I think Japan and the UK probably have the most police cameras in your face, although the US is close and the police don't have to install all of the cameras since companies have so many installed anyway. This is all going to get very scary once face recognition software is widely deployed. Maybe I'll start a ski mask company

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this rarely applies to bikes as the camera's are 90% front mounted to get your front plate and your face. there are very few rear mounted cameras and i flip my plate back under the tail to not have any problems. not a big deal for anyone unless your driving a car!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
lilguns said:
this rarely applies to bikes as the camera's are 90% front mounted to get your front plate and your face. there are very few rear mounted cameras and i flip my plate back under the tail to not have any problems. not a big deal for anyone unless your driving a car!
Is some states front mount plates are optional, like South Carolina. Although, they dont really care about the rules or the road here, no helmet law for motorcycles, and ive NEVER seen a speedtrap camera or heard of somebody being caught by one here. Quite nice actually...

·
Registered
183 Posts
lilguns said:
What the? States all over the US issue only one plate for the rear... NY is an exception but Im in PA right now and they only gave me one plate.

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
Wisconsin is also another state the requires 2 plates. I'm glad I'm close to the boon docks to go out riding and no one is around to see me doing it is that I might be doing wrong. :)

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
RulingCzar said:
Are you saying that NJ required plates on the front and back of a motorcycle?
I'm thinking cars.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well in japan two plates are issed and two plates are required at all times.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and thta is for cars not bikes. no states requires two plates for bikes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts