Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
umm... yea.
anyway i want to know which bike is a good beginner bike out of the 4 or 5 i had listed.
ive had a buddy who started out on a 04 600rr and has been riding it for almost a year now. he doesn't stunt he just rides. he went down two days ago cause there was a peice of a tire on the freeway and caused him to go down. he left with minor injuries nothing big. another buddy of mine got a kawasaki ninja 636 and he still hasnt gone down. he is going towards his second year.

now im not saying they wont go down but, honestly im not going to do any crazy **** and prolly ride it every now and then till im comortable to even break the speed limit.

plus going down is inevetiable so why does it matter if i go down on a new bike or old im going to go down anyway sooner or later so i kno what im getting myself into on that one.

but u dont know me or know how responsible i am.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
From my experience I will tell you that you shouldn't get a new bike.
Ask your self this questions: Why do I want a bike at all? Why do I want a brand new bike if I don't even have 1 day experience?

Let me tell you my story, When I turned 18 all I wanted was a bike, my parents didn't want me to have one, so I saved up some money and bought a used bike 95 Kawi EX500 Ninja, great bike. The first time I got on it, never rode in my life, I started riding it home, it was freaking scary but I got home my friend was fallowing me all the way home, I remember i couldn't even turn, I was taking wide turn like semi-trucks do :D . Anyways when I got home I was so freaking happy I could piss my pants. So I decided to go for another ride with my friend, I felt more confident in my self, so I hoped on my bike and started riding, couple blocks away I layed her down, go figure, I didn't know how to use brakes so I just squezed the front and it locked and I crashed, nothing major just scrashed the bike up a little. Thats just one of the little crashes, during the next couple of months I had so many little crashes only I know about them.

Anyways don't get a new bike, get a used piece of sh*t and learn on it, when you understan something about bikes get a load and get a new bike, otherwise it's not worth it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
OK, so in that other thread, you had a lot of people saying that NONE of the new 600 supersports are good bikes to start on, and yet you still seem pretty determined to get one. Fine. Some people listen to advice, and some don't. I have no problem with that. So get whatever you like, before this gets ugly all over again and the thread gets locked.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have never laid a street bike down in 12 years of street experience. I laid plenty of dirt bikes down, but lets face it riding in the dirt is a whole other ball game, and I'd say riding in the dirt taught me so much about how to deal with stuff like my rear tire sliding out on a slick street that it did not bother me and I knew how to correct it. There are also people probably on this board that have never laid a bike down in over 20 years of riding and I will extract track wrecks from this. Track wrecks are an inevitability if you truly are pushing yourself. So I definetly know people who have gone 20+ years without a street wreck.

Oh here is a good story. So I was at the dealership yesterday looking a 5k damage 03 R1 with 3k miles on it. Damage only on one side kid had it for a year but obviously he did not enjoy riding it since it only had 3k miles on it. Wrecked it last weekend apparently it got away from him in a turn.

As I am looking at that machine a flatbed wrecker appears outside the building (eary music for suspense) you all know where this is going... Lo and behold a 04 R6 TOTALED top damage, both sides damaged, and the sub frame is off center by more than 6 inches. Bike is 1 month old and has 500 miles on it. now for the story everyone knows that Indiana sucks; our roads are flat straight and boring, but to make it more interesting they also have a propensity for dirt and gravel. Well he got his back tire in some gravel and forgot to ease up on the gas, well you can guess where his rear tire went (not the same direction as the bike) apparently the movement of the tire scared the 20 yr old (first bike R6) and he ended up giving it more GAS by accident (MISTAKE) and he got ejected from the wrenching movement of the bike well the bike launched away flipped over at least once before it slammed into a cement highway divider. He told the police/wrecker he was only going 50 on a 30mph onramp.

The 600's of today are not really learning bikes anymore, they are virtually race ready machines that will hand you a serious helping of whoop ass if your not careful. I was talking to the shop manager and he told me in the lasty 3 years he has seen a steady rise in the number of destroyed 600's as they get faster and faster. Speaking of the top of the line 600's an F4i might still be a good learning bike but I've never ridden one to say for sure. I just know the difference between my F2 and 600RR was OMG

Of course my favorite story from yesterday was the story of two huyabusas two kids bought (as their first bikes) the shop warned them not to buy them, but they did anyhow; The next day the bikes came back, but not in the same condition as when they left. Just because you are a responsible person does not make you a good rider, it just means you have more going for you than an irresponsible one.

Now all 3 of the above stories are for riders ranging from 18 to 21 all of which crashed/virtually totaled or totaled expensive machines. How much do you want to bet their insurance is going to be the next time they try to get quotes.

I gander to say all the kids above all were into looking cool; and I'm sure they all look really cool in some cases for the first night, in other case for a month or for a year parked and sitting. Either way looking cool does not gain respect or teach you anything, but it can get you in a lot of trouble. Esspecially if you try to be a little bit cooler in front of your friends and end up like this dipstick.

http://www.exackley.com/movies/crash/crash3.wmv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well im not sure im just going by what my friends did. but im wondering if its that big of a deal then what are some good bikes i can buy that are used????

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
why not tell us about your motorcycle experience? have you ever ridden anything? any dirt bikes or atv's? or have you just watched your friends? this is by no means a flame. i bought my blue RR first bike, no experience the week after i took the MSF course. if you have ZERO experience, take the course before you buy ANYTHING. not even a used 250... after you take the course, you'll have the BASIC skills needed for survival on the streets. note, i said SURVIVAL! i am by no means an expert rider, only been riding 7 months and 5500 miles. this was my experience tho, hopefully it can help you.

read and take to heart Honda4life's stories and everyone else's advice. if you buy new, i think everyone on here will say a small prayer for your safety, as i will for any rider, and they will be more than happy to help you along your way to some experience!

Peace
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rode for about 2 2 and half months in pakistan when i was 14 on a 250cc honda and a vespa, lol. im going to take the msf course before i buy but i do have a general idea of how to ride. im more concern about learning how other drivers react around me since most of them dont even see that u are there and they switch over on u. thats my main goal. to be able to control the bike and read traffic. cause ive never riddin anything but a 2560cc for about a month.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
dude you got more experience than i did when i bought mine... i think you'll be fine a new 600... you'll baby the thing anyway hehe.

get the 600RR!!!! then i'd go for the ZX6RR after that.

·
Registered
504 Posts

If you're gonna take the MSF before you get the bike get a new bike. All of the new 600s are great bikes. Personally I'd get the new ZX6r. Just be careful and dont try to keep up with your friends who are more experienced. If they're responsible they wont ride beyond what they think you can handle. If you're all a bunch of idiots and think you're invincible you'll all be statistics.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Get what you feel that you will be comfortable with. Just be carefull, use your head, have fun, be carefull, don't try to keep up with the more experienced riders till you feel comfortable, be carefull, if your going to stunt practice by yourself before you do it in public, and be carefull.

We can't tell you what to get, but whatever you get, stay safe. We like to keep riders for a lifetime.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions just ask.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Oh, so you're still here and that last thread didn't scare you away. I just hope that you seriously put a lot of thought into some of the things we said and made you slow down in wanting to get a bike at all cost. Our emotions and passion get in the way when buying a bike, new or used, so we tend to throw out our logic and make promises to ourselves (mommy if you buy me that toy, I promise to be a good boy the rest of the year).

I think you should get the 600RR, not because I have one, but because it's more forgiving compared to the other bikes. You're almost never going to use all the power on the street, so don't worry about power as they are all very close. The 600RR has a better suspension system then the others, which is something you'll be using all the time. Don't be fooled as many have said it's very confidence inspiring and quite honestly, it is, so don't over ride your ability till later.

You can't go wrong with the RR. The Kawi and Honda RR are the only new bikes for '05 with new tech that is somewhat useable for the street. When it comes to fit and finish, the Honda can't be beat. Thanks for sticking around.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Even if you do take the msf, I'd reccomend getting a smaller less powerful bike to start off with. It's not garunteed, but there is a very high probabaility that you will crash, and why would you want to crash on something as beautiful as a 600rr? Why crash a 5-8k bike (depending on condition) and be pissed off and have to spend 2k+ to get it fixed when you can pick up a ex250 for 1500 or less, crash it, and not care. I've wrecked mine twice in my first season of riding, and both times all I've replaced was the turn signals that broke off. Those bikes can take an amazing beating. Taking the MSF is a good idea but it isn't mandatory. I havn't taken it, when i bought and started riding my 250 i had zero experience, no dirtbikes, no quads. I'd ridden a little scooter for liek 5 min once but that isn't really comparable. The bike does alot of the work for you, just enjoy yoruself, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you want to be a poser.. then go buy whatever bike you think is the nicest looking and then you can cruise around the streets happy that youve got what you think is the best kick ass bike.

if you want to learn how to ride - get a smaller less powerful, more forgiving bike. something that will force YOU to learn how to go fast on it by throttle control, braking, countersteering and body steering.

any of the bikes you mentioned above youll learn how to go fast in no time and feeling confident by just cracking open the throttle. then the day will come when youre in a turn and it will tighten half way through, and you wont know how to properly react in the situation cause you havent developed the skills properly. (or any other type of quick response situation)

whatever you do, taking the MSF course is a MUST .. and so is wearing ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts