Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry for two dumb question threads in a week but not even sure how to properly search this question.

So I have driven manual cars for years / drag raced at tracks etc.... Anyways my question is this is sporadic and doesn't always happen but shifting up I sometimes have to lift twice to get it to engage the next gear. I've noticed if I press up on the gear selector without pulling the clutch it will 'prime' (probably a horrible choice of word for this) it for the next gear. Meaning I'm in 3rd wanting to go into 4th if I lift up on the gear selector I can actually move it up without shifting but then to shift I pull the clutch and press up again. (First time there's movement to actually push up but if I tried to press up again its solid and can't)..

So I've tried playing with how much I pull the clutch lever and press up.. different rpms etc.. Anyways sorry if this is a stupid question, but hopefully its better than a CeeBee question.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
What ur doing is called preloading to shift. And u can actually shift wo using the clutch. Its a little rougher n not sure how good it is for the tranny. But u shouldn't be having a difficult time shifting if ur pulling in the clutch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What ur doing is called preloading to shift. And u can actually shift wo using the clutch. Its a little rougher n not sure how good it is for the tranny. But u shouldn't be having a difficult time shifting if ur pulling in the clutch.
Oh well **** at least I know one more thing then!

So yeah when I pull the shift lever in and push up 50/50 i'm pushing up in air and have to push up a second time to select the gear...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Theres always a lil bit of play in the lever but u shouldn't have that issue in every gear. 1st to 2nd is usually the only time u gotta try a lil harder due to shifting past neutral

·
Registered
26 Posts
shifting

I find a fresh oil change really makes shifting smoother and silky, however I find that if you are not precise with your toe upward movement it does tend to stick once in awhile.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I'll continue to play with it and see what -I'M- doing wrong as its most likely newbie error vs something on the bike :) I def appreciate the helpful responses!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts