Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i get bugged at this site sometimes. people love to flame noobs for "not searching". but if the search engine didn't come with a learning curve (backed up by some of your more "senior members" in multiple posts), then we "stupid noobs" wouldn't have to annoy you guys. i have absolutely no problem with searching, trust me i've done it before. it bugs sometimes...just sayin

D

·
0 Posts
How is there a learning curve for using the search feature? You click the search button, enter in a phrase or keyword that is in reference to what you're searching, click to display threads or posts, and if needed, put in a specific user or forum section.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
nothing wrong with asking questions, we all do it.

but this site is 7 yrs old, and many of the same questions have been asked multiple times. over and over and over again (exhaust, filters, etc).

so please, take your time to use the search function. if that doesn't work, then gladly post up a question in a new thread (in the appropriate forum section).

but just the other day, someone posted a thread that their bike won't start in gear. they thought it was a major problem. they'd kick it into gear, let the clutch go and the bike dies. OMG! Bike is having issues, right??? No.

uh....hey noob, PUT THE KICKSTAND UP!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
nothing wrong with asking questions, we all do it.

but just the other day, someone posted a thread that their bike won't start in gear. they thought it was a major problem. they'd kick it into gear, let the clutch go and the bike dies. OMG! Bike is having issues, right??? No.

uh....hey noob, PUT THE KICKSTAND UP!!

See, I think that's a bad example of not using the search function, not everyone on this site has many years experience riding. I figured that one out on my own before there was an internet. I can imagine someone with little to no riding experience panicking because their bike won't run. I just don't get why people have to be a d!ck about stuff like that.

In most cases I agree with forum members telling people to "Search". Exhaust, Tires, Brakes, Oil Changes, etc. Hell, there's usually a sticky or 500 about maintenance and mods, I mean most folks on here are probably members of multiple forums and should know that. I would bet that many of them flame noobs and tell them to "Search" on other forums that they are higher ranking members of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well guys, i understand both sides of this one. Where i work i get the same stupid a** Q's from people daily and it pisses me off to no end. On the other hand i am a newby on this site and i dont understand all the ins-outs of forum life. So i guess if the vets could try to curb their anger and noobs try to think for a minute before posting everyone would be peas and carrots.

Or we could all just be angry all the time and no one could get along i guess.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think some people (those who flame) assume that the individual asking the question is using the correct terminology in their searches, when in fact in some cases the inquirer may not even know what term to use to perform a search in the first place.

I've searched for some things and not received the right hits for my question. It happens. Perhaps instead of flaming people when they ask a question that's been asked before it would be more helpful (if you know the proper search terms) to simply post a link to the thread that addresses that question.

D

·
0 Posts
See, I think that's a bad example of not using the search function, not everyone on this site has many years experience riding. I figured that one out on my own before there was an internet. I can imagine someone with little to no riding experience panicking because their bike won't run. I just don't get why people have to be a d!ck about stuff like that.

In most cases I agree with forum members telling people to "Search". Exhaust, Tires, Brakes, Oil Changes, etc. Hell, there's usually a sticky or 500 about maintenance and mods, I mean most folks on here are probably members of multiple forums and should know that. I would bet that many of them flame noobs and tell them to "Search" on other forums that they are higher ranking members of.
You don't need to have forum experience to know, or even see the search feature. If one can use google to find the site in the first place, then what is so hard about using the on site search feature?

But you're right, that is a bad example of not using the search. It's an example of someone needing to RTFM.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am personally a very big fan of this forum search option. I aveactually beening using and searching this site for almost 4 years now. THat is the great thing is you do not even need to be a member to get all this information. It has saved me quit a bit of money. I a pretty mechanical but being able to see some of the little tricks or that one screw that would slow you down helps out.

I finally decided to join, so that I can share some of the knowledge I have gained over the years.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How many new threads are we really going to get on a 7 year old forum about bikes that aren't really changing immensely aside from every few years? Last I checked, a forum is for discussion. If this is intended to serve as an encyclopedia, turn it into one and be done with it. Without new threads about things that have already been discussed elsewhere, this isn't a 600RR forum at all, it's just a glorified chat room.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, i just barely found the "actual" search button. when you are in most pages of the site, it gives you a google search. it wants to send me all over the internet, but i wanted to stay here. noticed the "search forum" button in the banner a min ago that works GREAT!

anyways, good to be here no matter how much i get flamed! good people here willing to help!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You don't need to have forum experience to know, or even see the search feature. If one can use google to find the site in the first place, then what is so hard about using the on site search feature?

But you're right, that is a bad example of not using the search. It's an example of someone needing to RTFM.
That is essentially what I was getting at.

D

·
0 Posts
ok, i just barely found the "actual" search button. when you are in most pages of the site, it gives you a google search. it wants to send me all over the internet, but i wanted to stay here. noticed the "search forum" button in the banner a min ago that works GREAT!

anyways, good to be here no matter how much i get flamed! good people here willing to help!
How do you barely find the "actual" search button. It's right ******* there on the damn top of the forum, right next to new posts.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Why are people so damn serious on the net? I swear if it wasn't for the obvious bike banner up top I'd swear this would be sandyvag.net. So you got flamed for not knowing how to use google, grow up. And then you get the R-tards that try and play the role of Capt. Sav-a-noob, get a new hobby!

I've been a member here for a few years and yes I see the same shiit all the time. Know what I do? If I feel nice I help, if I don't then I ignore. And then there are those special occasions where if the thread is just so damn ridiculous that you just have to flame. But its the internet, who cares. If someone who really wanted help came up to me IRL then yes I'd help. But just posting new threads w/o even thinking of researching first just shows your laziness.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i didn't mean to start some huge debate. apparently people are pretty heated about this subject.

i made a simple mistake...i was using the google search at the top of the main page instead of the forum search. it would take me all over the internet, and that's not what i wanted to do

1 - 20 of 20 Posts