Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 600rr, and he rode it over to my house. he had it for about 6 months and it have about 250 miles. when i was over there it started fine, when he rode it over, it started up fine. when i tried to start it... it works fine...

he left....

i tried to start it and check things out... first couple of times it worked... then all of the sudden...

it wont start...

i get the CLICK CLICK CLICK sound... like it wants to start.... but it doesnt...

so i called the guy up, and he comes over with a trickle charger... tried that... and it has a green light sayin the battery is good. but it wont start. tried to jump start it with a portable 12v jumper battery... didnt work either...

then we tried to pop start it... and it works fine...

he drive it a block or two... and came back... stopped it... then start it up again... works fine... moved the bike over to the car port... tried to start it... and it did the same thing agin...

so frustrated.

my question is:

1. does the warranty cover battery failure? because it is still under warranty...

2. if not covered, what is a good light weight dry cell battery? i know for cars... they have dry cell battery that is super light... about half the weight.. do they have this type for bikes? if so.. what brand? and what type do i need?

thanks!

and i did some searching... but i couldnt find anything useful.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Deffinately sounds like a bad battery which are not covered by the factory warrenty but have a year or 2 warrenty of their own and then pro rated after that. I am not sure about the dry cell batteries, have never heard of them made for bikes. A traditional one should only run you about $50-60 if you shop around and your troubles will be gone.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Tricks to charging your battery. It NEEDS to be charged for 5-8hrs with a 1amp charger. Quick charging is to be avoided. Do yourself a favor and go buy your own trickle charger and charge the battery overnight. I bet it cranks tomorrow. You'll need to charge it every 3-4 months anyway to condition the battery and make it last.

The green light doesn't tell you what voltage the battery is at. 12.4v might be fine for the green light but it won't crank your bike. You need 13.0-13.5v on a freshly charged battery.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright... thanks for the info...

i just bought myself a battery tender plus... and a new battery... just waiting for it to come in and ill find out...

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey sweet i've just bn havin the same probs i was gonna call honda and suss it but i might jus do that instead!!
sux u hav to do this tho! being new bikes an all!!

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
just don't jumpstart you battery while the car is running or you might fry the ECU, it's best to charge the battery, pull the battery from the bike & hook it up to a charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts