Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03 600RR
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys. New to the forum here. Just picked up an 03 600RR with 17k mikes on it. From the outside appearance looks pretty good. Brand new dunlops on there, under 10 miles in them so that’s nice. Appears to be very mechanically sound after the couple rides I have done to see how everything functions. Guy I bought it from bought it to flip and didn’t know much about it. He said it was sitting for a little while and that’s all he knows. I plan on changing the oil, oil filter, probably draining the fuel and replacing the fuel filter. Maybe a coolant flush depending on how it’s looking. Brakes feel tight. No leaks on the forks. Nothing visibly wrong. But I wanted to get some advice on what else I should possibly change, tune and look at before making it my daily rider. Anyone ever put any additives in there? Plan on running 91. New to the street bike platform so it’s all a little new to me. All comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sweet. Looks to be in very good shape.

Not sure why you'd want to drain the fuel, especially since it sounds like you've been riding it. If she's running fine just add fresh gas and run through a tank and all the old stuff will be gone.

You can't change the fuel filter on these. It's in the pump and not changeable. There's a strainer that can be cleaned but requires removing the pump.

You look to have addressed the three main things that should be done first:

1 Tires and tire pressure
2 Oil -- nothing catastrophic will happen if you run around with older oil but may as well change since it's cheap and establishes a maintenance baseline
3 Chain

I'd change the brake fluid as well, definitely for the front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would recommend changing oil&filter, brake fluid flush(front +rear), coolant flush, fork fluid, air filter(if needed), lube clutch cable, lube lever points as needed, inspect brake pads(clean if needed), clean & regrease swingarm bearings-shock linkage-head bearings. Inspect chain & sprockets. Have the rear shock serviced + have someone who knows what they are doing setup your suspension. The manual calls for 87 octane, no need to run anything higher. I've used bg 44k fuel cleaner with no issues.

·
Registered
03 600RR
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet. Looks to be in very good shape.

Not sure why you'd want to drain the fuel, especially since it sounds like you've been riding it. If she's running fine just add fresh gas and run through a tank and all the old stuff will be gone.

You can't change the fuel filter on these. It's in the pump and not changeable. There's a strainer that can be cleaned but requires removing the pump.

You look to have addressed the three main things that should be done first:

1 Tires and tire pressure
2 Oil -- nothing catastrophic will happen if you run around with older oil but may as well change since it's cheap and establishes a maintenance baseline
3 Chain

I'd change the brake fluid as well, definitely for the front.
glad u said that, saved me some headache later. I was gonna possibly drain just because idk how long or older that fuel is and has been in there. Thanks for the info. Noted

·
Registered
03 600RR
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would recommend changing oil&filter, brake fluid flush(front +rear), coolant flush, fork fluid, air filter(if needed), lube clutch cable, lube lever points as needed, inspect brake pads(clean if needed), clean & regrease swingarm bearings-shock linkage-head bearings. Inspect chain & sprockets. Have the rear shock serviced + have someone who knows what they are doing setup your suspension. The manual calls for 87 octane, no need to run anything higher. I've used bg 44k fuel cleaner with no issues.
will do. Thank you for the input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts