Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '03 CBR 600RR with 12,000 miles, it has a Corbin seat, Puig double bubble, and straight pipe. The day I bought it, it ran fine, I drove it for a few hours. The very next morning after it warmed up, everytime I returned the throttle to home, it would die. So at every stop sign, red light, or if I have the clutch in and let go of the gas, it dies.
Yesterday I started it up, it ran for 5 minutes at idle while I was talking to someone, and while we were sitting there, it just died.
I tried to adjust the idle speed, but the screw does nothing. The idle does not change when I turn it either way.
Does anyone have any ideas before I take it to the shop?
-KK

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Yes, sounds like you unscrewed the idle speed adjuster out of the throttle body. That happens to people, a bitch to put back right too. You can search the forum for a how to, but I'm tellin you first off be prepared to take off the tank cover, tank...you need to get to the throttle body if it is that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yea mine happened 2 days ago.would start up and run for a few minutes but die after that.turns out that my idle adjustment had unscrewed/backed out of the throttle body.u have to take the tank out to get to it and screw it back in,and it s tight in there so be prepared to bitch a lil bit while doing it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The idle screw is still in the throttle body. I can see it screwing in and out.
I took the bike to the shop this weekend, they said that I need to take the straight pipe off and put a muffler on it because the bike requires backpressure. I hope this fixes the issue.

K

·
0 Posts
requires back pressure? no. helpful for torque? yes.

does the bike attempt restart?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok... after taking the bike apart, cleaning up some lousy wiring, changing out the straight pipe to a FMF slip on exhaust, this fixed the issue. After the exhaust swap out, the idle screw worked and the bike doesn't die. Thanks for all the ideas guys.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
thats what happened to mine to but I kept turning it until it snapped then I had the dealer put a new one in under warranty :bootyshak :toothy4:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts