Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a gpro2 and cash for trade for an AK (all legal) but the guy had the surf edition. I'm wondering what you guys are using to mount it and how.
Thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
ive slowly been collecting mounts. i've actually havent really used the 3m mounts. dont trust them really, altho everyone says they work well. ive only tried to use them on lexan, and they always fell off, maybe it just wasnt a good material to stick too. however i mount them on poles, chest mount, handlebar mounts, and suction cup the most often

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
You have to clean the surface before applying them - lexan and then applying the sticky side will definitely lead to it falling off. I've had one 3M mount on my tail and one on my helmet for about 9 months now without any problems - even through 100 degree track days.

ive slowly been collecting mounts. i've actually havent really used the 3m mounts. dont trust them really, altho everyone says they work well. ive only tried to use them on lexan, and they always fell off, maybe it just wasnt a good material to stick too. however i mount them on poles, chest mount, handlebar mounts, and suction cup the most often

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hahaha smartass but that doesnt tell me what people on this forum are using or where they are mounting them. Also, I already have a gopro, why would I buy another one in a different edition?

Thanks jirish617, where on the bike do you suction it?
You wouldn't be buying any extra gopro, just the mounting kits (if you google), and youtube has decent videos showing you how each angle (gas tank, front forks, rear, helmet) would look.

·
Registered
621 Posts
On your friend, and ride in front of him.

On your helmet it really sticks our and does it heavy, and sticking it onthe bike will give u a limited view (like on your head it records where you look, maybe at a driver or something).

·
Registered
827 Posts
You have to clean the surface before applying them - lexan and then applying the sticky side will definitely lead to it falling off. I've had one 3M mount on my tail and one on my helmet for about 9 months now without any problems - even through 100 degree track days.
I've cleaned them pretty well, I'm just thinking lexan RC car bodies are no good lol.

And to the OP, I've auction cupped it to the mid fairings and tank, I used the handle bar mount on my mirrors but the vibrations produce waves in the video. I might 3m mount right under the front fairing, and use some extensions so it would get crushed if forks were to compress. I'm just afraid too much vibration will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've found the suction cup mount to work the best. I usually mount it behind my windshield, keeps out air/resistance. I would highly recommend - no matter what mount you use - to have a tether or some kind of strap that is tied to the camera and fixed on the bike. Just an added bit of precaution.

Personally I've never felt comfortable mounting the camera directly to my helmet. I'm always a bit paranoid about putting any kind of contaminate on the shell of my lid. Fun fact for you... Arai designs all of their external air/venting ducts to BREAK OFF in the event of a crash - which is another reason why they don't have any kind of "built in spoilers" like a lot of helmets. The theory behind that is that a smooth round shape will absorb and distribute energy more efficiently in the event of a crash.

Doesn't really matter what brand of lid you go with, having a camera mount permanently attached is most likely going to have some kind of negative effect in the event of a crash. At least that's my $0.02.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fun fact for you... Arai designs all of their external air/venting ducts to BREAK OFF in the event of a crash - which is another reason why they don't have any kind of "built in spoilers" like a lot of helmets. The theory behind that is that a smooth round shape will absorb and distribute energy more efficiently in the event of a crash.
That explains why little **** keeps breaking on mine! :cursin:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anyone try sticking the gopro on the black plastic piece above the steering stem nut (right behind the key). I've been using the helmet mount with a safety wire to the air vent on my shoei but wanted to try somewhere on the bike but not too sure about sticking the adhesive on my tank.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Anyone try sticking the gopro on the black plastic piece above the steering stem nut (right behind the key). I've been using the helmet mount with a safety wire to the air vent on my shoei but wanted to try somewhere on the bike but not too sure about sticking the adhesive on my tank.
I feel like that would be to small of a surface area for to adhere to, could be wrong though

·
Registered
546 Posts
I feel like that would be to small of a surface area for to adhere to, could be wrong though

Yeah that was a concern of mine. Safety wiring for the track. Kind of got the idea as someone makes a ducati steering stem nut now with a threaded hole for a ram mount. Might pull the cap off and see if somehting can be done with the cbr.

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
^ for the front and the back , just dont make them so high like how the pics arre, it will wobble alot and might breake. so keep it as low as possible with mounts

1 - 20 of 36 Posts