Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay for me. Accually i havnt even seen it yet....(stuck in kuwait ATM). Was a birthday present from the wife...accually from me to my self (spent 4 yrs in deployments since 9/11).

Since i am new I have just a couple of questions.

1. What are some things that I should look out for/do when I am out riding in a busy town (Denver)? I am going to take a week long course when i get back though.

2. What is some good saftey gear I should look into getting?

3. Any cool mods out there for performance or visual?

Sorry if it is already on the sight. Dont have alot of time to do searches.

Me+Search engines=1 hour of strickly 4 letter words and a broken keyboard.

If you would like you can email me at
[email protected]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Be aware of everthing going on around you at all times. Good helmet, gloves, riding jacket. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Mine has 1600 miles on it now........almost worn out compared to yours. The more I ride it, the more I love it!!!! These are awesome machines. Ride with care and you'll get to know each other well. Keith Code's books "Twist of the Wrist I and II" really helped me! Aloha! and enjoy!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ride in the tire tracks of the lane.(from the cars).......less oil from cars. Wear leather..ALWAYS. I can show you pics of my shoulder from the one day I didnt wear it................Oh yeah, thanks for serving over there

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. There are a couple of things to look into. First - get the gear. This will help more than anything. Second - Do an MSF course or other rider training class. Class will always help, even experienced riders. There are a bunch here in Denver. Third - Prepare your wife for your new addiction, Riding and Modifying your bike. When you get to Denver or CO look into the CSC (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org) a great group for learning to ride. Always someone to ride with and easy to find someone to learn from.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
congrat's on the bike.
As for gear helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, are a must.
mods are up to you and what you like, just look around at some other 600rr's to get an idea of what appeals to you.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
man i feel your pain mang, internet fricken sucks out there....i too have deployed too many times.
thanx for your dedication to our country out there!

first off....keep your head on a swivel and take it easy for awhile til
you get accustomed to the bike. the MSF will teach you alot of good
things about the basics of riding.

heres some good stuff to read....
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35712

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41413

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46242

second....there are many types/brands of gear out there. for starters
w/out naming brands....helmet, leather jacket, gloves, riding boots, and
knee/shin protectors.

third.... dont worry bout the mods as of yet IMHO. concentrate on learning
the bike, the riding and the protective gear.

goodluck out there and also when you get back!!!

werd

·
Registered
249 Posts
congrats on the new bike! i put 4k miles on mine in less than 2 months. "yeah, my name is annie and i have a problem..." but gear, you'll be spending about $500-over 1k in gear. Practice, patience, and don't act a fool. welcome to the addiction. :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hawke said:
Third - Prepare your wife for your new addiction, Riding and Modifying your bike.
You forgot to mention 600rr.net, the most addictive part of owning one of our bikes.

Welcome aboard. Take an MSF, get a helmet, leather jacket, gloves, some sort of riding pants (if you dont want leather at least look into some kevlar riding jeans, I wear Icon), and boots. Your desert boots hold up just fine in a low speed accident, I know from experience, but get some riding boots when you get the chance.

And ride in the tire tracks, stay as far away from cagers as possible, dont cross intersections without being damn sure no one is coming, always respect the bike, and dont push it past your limits.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with all the gear and lane suggestions made above. I would add, after being in an accident and close calls, learn where the blind intersections are in your town and be very careful around them. It's worth slowing down and being cautious so you can have time to react and live to ride another day.

Have fun and be careful around town. If you really enjoy it, get a trackday, you will learn tons.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You're going to have that buzz under the tank cover at 5000-6000RPM's. Once you hear it, it will make you crazy. Seems to be right where you end up when riding in town or just being melow. A piece of foam under the cover will do the trick. Do a search and you will find more info.

Thanks for serving and be safe!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts