Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this 05 600rr is so frustrating. i bought it used w/ 250 miles. it ran fine, the guy rode it to my house.

it did have some battery problems, but that was taken care of... bike was sitting idle for 6 months.

so before the bike gets dropped off... he puts in some gas thats 6 mo. old.

bike still rode fine, after i install the new battery, i tried to start it up... it wouldnt start... not even by starting it in gear...

so i end up buying 1 gallon of new gas and mixing it with the old... it started a bit then died...

later the guy comes over and we pulled out the old gas and bought new gas.

the bike starts, it idles... but not for long... feels like the fuel gets cut off and it just dies...

we were doing this for at least over 1 hr.

finally we were able to get it to rev to 3-4k, but every single time... we rev it... it would die again...

what gives? its a brand new bike... got new gas... cuz old one didnt work...

could it be the plugs? or is the old fuel still in the system?

im so fustrated! plz HELP!~

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
check the terminals on the batt, maybe the rectifier/v regulator sh!t itself, fuses, loose connections or the idle adjuster...maybe set too low. i dunno...jus a hunch!!

but dont hate and give up on the RR yet!! once its fixed...itll be an awesome bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
terminals are good... i had it hooked up to a car and started it like that... ill check out the plugs... sounds like a tough job tryin to get to the plugs... is there ne diy instructions for that? the manual dont provide very detailed instructions...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The old gas probably messed things up. Put some new gas in it and mix in a bottle of techron in there. I would also replace the plugs.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
i think you have a fuel starvation problem, maybe the fuel filter inside the tank is clogged or the pump is barely working, no no fuel to the engine no go.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so u guys think its fuel starvation over fouled plugs?

i know it only have 271 miles... less then 1 mile on bad gas.... no possible way to clog/gum up the plugs or fuel lines?

why would the filter be clogged? easy to replace/clean?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
in the first place if you foul up the plugs it won't start at all, if you stored it for 6 months & if there's still some fuel leftover in the tank chances are the fuel turned into crud & clogged up the filter or made the fuel pump stuck up.

you need to open the tank & clean you filter & pump. don't blame the bike for what's happened it's always human error.

N

·
0 Posts
Honestly, I really doubt it's the fuel or fouled plugs. It rarely happens on our bikes. And bad gas? Rarely again.

What I mean by this is, the most common problem with our bikes is the battery. 6 months just sitting there? The battery will lose it's charge. Yes, it started. Yes, you rode it for awhile but it doesn't mean the battery is holding it's charge or is fully charged.

If I were you I'd charged the battery, run the bike the next day. Then let it sit for a few hours, and start it up, ride it, and let it sit and see if the bike starts again. If not, you know the battery is not good. Go get a new battery. Problem solved.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't know... I've never known of a problem where the battery was able to start the motorcycle/car and then not able to keep the vehicle running. This is why push starting works - less charge is needed keep the vehicle running than to signal the starter.

I would go with the old gas... but wait, are you new to riding? Why would the original owner ride it to your place? Are you sure the 600rr is a good starter bike fore you?

N

·
0 Posts
mikehal said:
I don't know... I've never known of a problem where the battery was able to start the motorcycle/car and then not able to keep the vehicle running. This is why push starting works - less charge is needed keep the vehicle running than to signal the starter.?
Well now you know. This not only happened to me, but I know of a hand full of others.

mikehal said:
I would go with the old gas... but wait, are you new to riding? Why would the original owner ride it to your place? Are you sure the 600rr is a good starter bike fore you?
Save that for another thread, not this one.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd put my money on the fuel issue here. 6 months is undoubtedly enough time for the gas to go bad, as that is a typical winter up here in ND so I'm speaking from experience. Every spring you'll see this site flooded with people who can't figure out why their bike won't start after a winter storage.

I just bought a bike this spring, and the guy did the same thing to me... just didn't know how to store it. I dumped the tank, unhooked the gas line and ran it to a bucket. Then I cycled fresh fuel through the pump into the bucket to help free it up a bit. Problem is, you still have old fuel running through the engine, so you're eventually going to have to get that out. by unhooking the gas line, some will drain out, but there is a lot left. If you can get the bike to start with new fuel in the tank, you may have to hold the throttle JUST A BIT to keep it running. You're not looking for high revs here, you just want the bike to keep running long enough to cycle the new fuel into the engine.

Even after that, you may have to run a decent amount of fuel through the bike to clean out the system. It's a huge pain when people don't store their bikes properly.

Definately don't mess with idle adjustment, as the problem isn't caused by incorrect idle. Unless someone turned the idle down, there's no reason to turn it up higher.

·
Registered
103 Posts
alternator? not too sure, but im thinking the fuel lines are icky. theres gotta be some way to clean them. put fuel treatment in there maybe.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well battery is new. so i doubt thats the case.

how will the bike act when it has bad plugs?

i am able to idle the bike, but sometimes it will not stay idle, and it will cut off.

i was looking at the fuel filter... and im just stumped on how a strainer like that can get clogged so easily? i mean... gas is liquid... not solid or semi solid....

i tried to start it up today... and it worked better... i was able to rev it to 5k... but it would still cut off...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh im pretty sure the old gas is gone... i tried to syphon the old one out as much as i can and put two gallons of 91 octane gas in there... and been trying to run the bike for about a total of 30 min...

prob is that it wont idle long enough for it to "warm up"

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
If the bike is brand new w/ less then 300 miles it still must be under warranty, take it to a dealer and let them figure it out thats what they are paid for. Sounds to me like your just running around in circles so Id take it somewhere where they deal w/ this type of thing all the time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts