Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you that have been having intermittent problems connecting a laptop to your pc3usb while the bike is running.

Ok so they told me that the problem lies with interference with the usb cable. Reluctant at first to believe this they told me they offer a shielded usb cable that should eliminate this problem. I asked what it was shielded with and they couldn't tell me.

So I went to my garage (Im here now) and I put a ferrite core around the usb cable. Worked for about 5 min longer than what it usually does. But still no positive results. I still get no RPM reading.

They assured me it could not be a problem with the pc3 b/c they bike runs good. They basically pawned it off on the fact that my laptop is malfunctioning.

I have updated every single driver and my OS is XP. Any other suggestions I could try?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I don't see why foil won't work. In war time we were tought to wrap it around equipment in case of a nuclear attack to protect the radio. It'll look pretty ghetto but you could also wrap it with foil and use good old electrical tape to cover it up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
DJ Have been know to talk some bull in my experience. But many swear by there great service. I use a 15M cheap lead from my upstairs out the window to the drive. The old short lead and laptop used to cut out but, now it works fine with the longer solution. Not sure if that means anything.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
It's noise from the bike that does it. My friend has an R6 with a Power Commander that did the same thing. Basically, when the bike is running, it puts out electrical noise that cuts off the communication. That's why it works fine when the battery is on it. Get the computer as far away from the bike as you can, and if that doesn't work, just use the battery I guess. That's what we did, got the bike further away from the Power Commander and it worked fine. That's why yours works Easty, the computer is far enough away from the bike.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the reason I ask is because they told me RF is what causes it. (Radio Frequency from the bike) If they knew these cables were suceptible to interference (which almost all are) they should have included the insulated cable with their expensive ass kit. I called back to try and talk to talk to some1 else and see what they had to say....

She said, "As long as it works with the 9v battery you can still put maps in and thats all you would need to be worried about."

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can find a way to shield the cable. I'd also suggest trying to ground that shielding only to the bike chassis. That absorbs the EMI {electro magnetic interference} and gives it a place to go.

I'm a Chevrolet Master Tech by trade and I work on Onstar systems. One of the problems I see from time to time is communication between the cell phone that onstar uses to communicate and the actual onstar module will get interference. The data cable is shielded and that shielding is grounded to the chassis to dissapate the interference. If that shielding isn't grounded, communication problems will occur. It may be a good idea to try that with the USB cable. Just an idea to try out. Hope it works.

Jay

L

·
0 Posts
don't spark plug wire casings have some serious anti-electronic interference abilities? maybe just get a long one from the auto parts store and cut it open and stick your usb cable in it. ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts