Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Politically Incorrect
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with 618 miles on the clock i figured i would get the bike serviced today... i know that the dealer charges alot but because i want to get the extended warranty at the end of my first year i wanted to make sure they couldnt come back at me and say i screwed something up by servicing it myself and voided my warranty... so 150 bucks later at a labor rate of 77 dollars an hour and 70 bucks worth of oil and filter the bike has been given new life blood...

fully synthetic 10w40 whoot whoot!!!! and it still purrs like a kitten

also have you guys notices that the exhaust note gets throatier at around 500-600 miles? or is it just me?

Alex

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Holy Hell! 70 bucks for 3 quarts of synthetic and a filter?!?!

ANOTHER fine example on how the dealer is a rip off. Screw that, I do my own oil changes. How much does it cost me you ask? Around 35 bucks, that's 3 quarts of Amsoil 10W-40 and a Mobil filter.

·
Politically Incorrect
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh its also about not having to deal with it... im one of two things... either lazy or have no time... i would like to think i am the latter

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I look at it like this. $150 for an hour of work. Unless you make $300k per year, doing it yourself would have been cheaper. At this rate, you'll be lazy, have no time, and have no money left after the dealer is done raping you.

·
Registered
753 Posts
eh its also about not having to deal with it... im one of two things... either lazy or have no time... i would like to think i am the latter
Hell, I can change the oil on all my bikes in the time it takes to drive to the dealer and back, (Plus I am a bit picky about other people messing with my vehicles)

·
Politically Incorrect
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I look at it like this. $150 for an hour of work. Unless you make $300k per year, doing it yourself would have been cheaper. At this rate, you'll be lazy, have no time, and have no money left after the dealer is done raping you.
its not just about cheap though... you let the dealer do your service and they earn a buck... thats for sure... but i would much rather have this first service on paper too because then honda cannot accuse me of any negligence when something goes wrong when my bike is under the 5 year extended warranty

i view this anal rapage as an investment in the long term... and hey we shall see who is right in 5 years now wont we

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As long as you retain receipts for the oil filter and oil used to perform the maintenance and keep records of that maintenance, the dealer can't refuse warranty as you suggest. If that were the case, then no one would have work done except by the dealerships. The dealer must prove that something you did caused the problem.

As for the 5 year extended warranty, lets see what really happens when you have an issue. In most cases, dealerships will try to pass it off as normal wear and tear or abnormal usage of the vehicle. Extended warranties are nothing more than extra cash for the dealerships and a "feel good" item for the customer. If you are riding the bike and taking care of it like you're supposed to, you shouldn't have any issues.

Add in the fact that most people get rid of their bikes for a newer model or crash it within those 5 years and you can see where this is going.

These are just plain facts of the car and bike business. If spending that extra money gives you peace of mind, then go for it. But don't pretend that it guarantees you no issues should you have to file a warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For the most part, yes. And they say to look over the other fluids and check some bolts here and there.

·
Registered
650 Posts
wow thats retarted, I just changed mine today and cost me 35.00, of course did it myself. Why would you not do it yourself you know that you added the oil and changed the filter, i understand the warrenty thing but man that sucks. And you must not really love her if you dont even want to change her oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is an oil change really the only thing they do for the first service? I was planning on taking mine in this week. I have almost 800 miles on her and have already cleaned and lubed my chain. Changing the oil is no big deal to me. No wonder they gave me a coupon to have the first service done for "ONLY" $89 (supposedly the full price would be $140). Somebody please let me know if oil is the only thing they do, if so I won't waste my time or money!

·
Registered
145 Posts
And that assuming you trust those monkey's at the stealership

1 - 14 of 14 Posts