Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's going to make a nice little bike for my girl to learn on! She took her MSF coarse this weekend and i thought for sure i was gonna be stuck with a honda rebel or something, but she was really excited to find something more like a streetbike that wasn't so intimidating! She's pretty excited. She's been on the back for quite some time, and has always been an excellent passenger with whatever i put her through, and you gotta respect that cause there's no way in hell i'd ever ride on the bike of my RR!!!

Anybody else's girls ride? any advice out there, or things to watch for that i as a guy may not be thinking about? I also took the MSF coarse some time ago and just plan on sticking to those basics while she gets comfortable and used to her bike. I'll have to put up some pics when i get some.

Wish us luck!!!!

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
that was my first bike. The are fun but can be scarey. Going over a bridge in teh SF bay area, I had to stay at a lean the whole way across because of the wind where my 600rr being heavier it was fine. That and lines in the road seem to effect the bike more on the 250. But one of the guys on BARF Gary J use to kick our butts on a 250.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea it definately is a long way away in the stability department!! front end is a little light. I took it out to put some gas in it last night and it was definately quite nimble putting around town. after she rides for a while and steps up to a nicer bike she will really be able to appreciate the handling change!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heya man that was my first bike aswell had a blast on that thing .And bye the way iam from the staunton are myself in orlando now but moving back soon cant wait to ride the parkway again ;O) Man its flat here lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mxhonda801 said:
Heya man that was my first bike aswell had a blast on that thing .And bye the way iam from the staunton are myself in orlando now but moving back soon cant wait to ride the parkway again ;O) Man its flat here lol
i was suprised at how much fun i had on my little trip last night, i think she's really gonna enjoy it.

let me know whenever you are headed back up this way, we can hook up and ride. i'm on the bike all the time, and sooooo spoiled from this area!!!! Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway.... Lexington Va not far... only a few miles to hit some really cool roads in Wv .... not far from Rt 211 (which i stay away from for the most part) Rt 56, Rt 39, Rt 220..... on and on and on, but anybody who knows this area knows R33. If anybody anywhere near here doesn't know about Rt 33 you need to!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been thinking about getting the wife a 250 to learn on...be a while though just got the RR a couple weeks ago...
I'll be up your way this weekend RRdugas...got family in goshen...gonna head up and ride RT39...I used to love that road in my Z28.

·
Registered
249 Posts
rrdugas said:
Anybody else's girls ride? any advice out there, or things to watch for that i as a guy may not be thinking about?

Wish us luck!!!!
that's great that you got your girlfriend riding. One thing to watch out for is her riding position. She will most likely arch her back (cuz that's the way we're use to walking in heels, so usually that carries over to our riding position too) and that might make her back ache for awhile if it's a long ride. Other than that, have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
toaddixon said:
Been thinking about getting the wife a 250 to learn on...be a while though just got the RR a couple weeks ago...
I'll be up your way this weekend RRdugas...got family in goshen...gonna head up and ride RT39...I used to love that road in my Z28.

we'll be out and about this weekend, i may see you out that way. I go to goshen a lot during the summer. i was out there two weeks ago riding 39. Watch out towards the last few turns or actually after the last sharp right hander you hit going downhill then up.... right after that turn i ran into a bunch sandy lookin gravel and quite a few piles of it... its rained a few times so hopefully it'll be washed away!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mssdrider said:
that's great that you got your girlfriend riding. One thing to watch out for is her riding position. She will most likely arch her back (cuz that's the way we're use to walking in heels, so usually that carries over to our riding position too) and that might make her back ache for awhile if it's a long ride. Other than that, have fun and good luck!

thanks, she's had a little back pain lately anyway. She's pretty nervous about getting out on the road so we are going to hit up a big ol parking lot for a few days and when she's ready we have a few short destinations planned, so hopefully it won't be so much to bother her back. I ride alot, so i doubt it will be too long before we have some longer trips so hopefully that will help out her back... she gets really excited to get advice from other female riders. thanks a lot

N

·
0 Posts
Good choice on the Ninja 250, bro.

Yeah, just take your time with her. And don't rush her into something she's not comfortable with (ie - windy turns and such).

And once you take her out on the road I highly suggest you just take her on flat plains (maybe 2 or 4 turns max) and have her get comfortable with clutching, braking, shifting, throttle control and stops. Not just your regular stops but incline and decline stops (very important).

·
Registered
103 Posts
My first bike was a ninja 250. Great learner bike and really reliable. Once I got my 600rr, everytime I get back onto my 250, the seating position feels like a cruiser.

Sadly though I will be selling it soon. If anyone is interested it is a 1994 with ~11,200 miles. Asking $1600 which includes medium helmet leather jacket (i'm 5'8" 150lbs). I'm located in Iowa City, Iowa, about 40 mins. from the border of Illinois. It will be posted on ebay as soon as I get around to taking pics.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well first day in the lot went great. she got tired pretty quick, probably more from working all day. She had plenty of time to work on starts, stops, turns, U's & 8's, all sorts of good stuff. My goal was just to get her used to the different feel of the bike as compared to the little virago she used in her MSF coarse. She did great and really likes the bike. We will probably head out to a little bigger lot today where she can get in some gear changing and such. I really gotta get her used to looking behind her though, that is something the MSF coarse didn't go over to much, they just did lane change maneuvers. Gonna keep off the roads until the traffic dies down after memorial day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts