Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NJ offers free MSF courses run by the state Police. Its soposed to be a really good cours... but it fills up very quickly, only 12 people per class. I was on a mission to get into the June 9th class this morning. I left home at 5:45 AM to go to Trenton, NJ. The registration opens at 8AM but like i said it fills up quickly. I got there at about 7AM waited for the office to open and got in!!!!! My place is #6 in the class, many people after me were turned away, only 12 spots. I wanted to sign up for the advanced class but it turns out you need to take the beginners class first.

LUke

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good job!!

I can't believe the MSF course if free for you. I just looked mine up for when I get back to NY and they want $325.00!!!!! Damm, this sucks. That's a good chunk of change. I am so bummed right now.

Jay

·
Registered
937 Posts
bummer, i just spent 250 for a class for my wife. :(

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't believe the MSF course if free for you. I just looked mine up for when I get back to NY and they want $325.00!!!!
There are about 3 other places that i know of in NJ buy they cost $250 per class. This one is the only one that is free. $325 is crazy!!

U

·
0 Posts
Good for you. It cost me $250 and another $50 reschedule fee. Still the best $300 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I took the moto course as well and use it every time I ride. It's such a smart thing to do I HIGHLY reccomend it to EVERYONE! yay

·
Registered
703 Posts
The school i went to i paid $75 since i'm uder 21 and MSF is mandatory to have the class M endorsement if under 21. Normal price was like 375. That course saved my ass many of times.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Got me registered for the MSF here in Illinois... it's FREE here too.. (Well, $20 deposit - get it back after completing, but they usually ask for you to donate it.) <-- beats $325 any day! :lol2:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
HighLineCBR said:
NJ offers free MSF courses run by the state Police. Its soposed to be a really good cours... but it fills up very quickly, only 12 people per class. I was on a mission to get into the June 9th class this morning. I left home at 5:45 AM to go to Trenton, NJ. The registration opens at 8AM but like i said it fills up quickly. I got there at about 7AM waited for the office to open and got in!!!!! My place is #6 in the class, many people after me were turned away, only 12 spots. I wanted to sign up for the advanced class but it turns out you need to take the beginners class first.
LUke
The class you signed up for is paid for by all MC riders in NJ. It's a ripoff for all riders. That $$ was supposed to be used to reduce the class cost for EVERYONE! Not just people who take the class in Sea Girt. BTW it's not run by the state police. It's run by state workers, and you know what everyone thinks of state workers as you drive by every construction site and DMV office. There are other providers in NJ. Some are over $200!!
RENJ is and has been $175 since we started back in 1989. It went down to $150 when we had the $$ I mentioned before available as a rebate but the state in their infinite wisdom thinks they can do it better. Well they use over $200,000 a year to teach about 800 students. Thats $250 a student. We are still at $175 and have been doing this for 15 years. Personally I have taught over 250 of these classes since 1993. We get paid by teaching WELL, not bay the hour, like the state.
www.renj.com $175 and classes are being added all the time! You can even stop by a site with your permit and $$ in hand and if someone dosent show up who is registered, you will get in!!! If you call to register, we don't turn you away unless it's late in the year and classes are full. By the way, RENJ teaches on average 156 students per WEEK, not 12 a week at 4 sites throughout NJ(more coming). Any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Flipstream beat me to it. I was going to mention that they are free in IL as well.

Here in WI, you've got two options: $52 at a community college or $200 + at a private school

I've been trying to get into the one at the community college for the last couple of years. It's like a lottery system set up for spots in the class (I assume it is like 10 or so students). I just filled out my form the other day and sent it in. If I don't get in this year I am going to go to one of the classes really early and hope they let me in.

FYI for everyone...if you are a member of the HRCA, they will reimburse you up to $75 for cost of the MSF course...hence one of the reasons why I want to take it at the community college...thanks HRCA! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
In maryland I paid about $100-$150. I really liked it. They even gave us 250 honda rebels instead of the 125's some one said. Every year their is a huge wait. I should open up my own for profit school. I could make some nice cash.

I could be an entrapeneur, (even though I can't spell)

-pharaoh

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
HighLineCBR said:

LUke
Glad to hear it, I live in PA but phoned my spot in. It took me about 35 mins of cont. calling to get through but I did it! My spot in on the 28th of May.

Good Luck! :thumbup:
Jason

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
visitorq said:
BTW, its free in PA as well.
Jason
You will be paying for it soon my friend. That money comes from MC license surcharges when you renew. It's not free, you just pay for it over time LOL The bitch is this random wait and see if you will ever make it in and then you have a state bum teaching you. It's a job to most of them. Remember, free dosen't mean good in this case.

As long as the bike is less than 350cc and 400lbs it can be used, GN125, GZ250, Rebel/NHawk 250, Elim 250 whatever. 2 strokes foul out with newbies so they are not used and if you take a RidersEdge class (a ripoff MSF class) at a Buell dealer you will be get about 75% the class in a parking lot behind the dealership with the BUILDING as one of the boundaries! Last year the RidersEdge class had 3 FATALITIES. Oh yea, they use the Blast! as the training bike, all 500cc of 23hp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts