Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for two full years now and have absolutely fallen in love with the sport of motorcycling. Not only do I enjoy spirited sportbike riding, but I can't get enough of anything "motorcycle." I have now come to a crossroad: what bike to get next.

As I have said, I have been riding for two full years on my used 2002 Suzuki Katana 600. I have put on 10,000+ miles and have really enjoyed the Katana as a first bike. I'm just not sure what bike to get next. I would love to limit myself to strictly "track" riding and get a new 600RR, but I will only be getting to the track two or three times a summer. Most, if not all, of my riding is on twisty highways in Central NY as far away from cages as possible. With that being said, I am leaning towards getting the 1000RR as my next bike. I know the excuse, "I'm too big (physically) for a 600" doesn't hold much water, but me being 6'3" 260 lbs. I can honestly say I fit better on the liter than I do the supersport. (ex-college hockey player, assholes!)

I am 24 years old and am quite aware that I will at no time be racing for any kind of championship on my local highways. As a matter of fact, I take great pride in being a very contentious, knowledgeable, and competent (also humble) motorcyclist. My question to this community is this: were any of you ever in this position, and do you think that getting a 1000RR as my second bike would be way off base?

Thanks for your replies and concerns.

Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
Go for it man, sounds like you have your sh!t together and understand what it means to have a liter bike.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
honestly size wise a 1000 fits your body size better, and seeing that you have been riding for awhile going to a liter bike is not a bad idea. 1000's are as fast or as tame as you want them to be, if you respect it youll be fine. its all about throttle control. a couple guys on this site have 1000s and im sure they will tell you the same thing. im pretty big guy i guess 6'2" 220 and im comfortable on my 600rr and i think it has plenty of power, i have ridden a few 1k's and i felt comfortable on them too but for owning a bike for now id rather have a 600. hope that helps and i didnt just ramble to much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to look this weekend at 1000RRs again and maybe sneek out of a stealership with one for under MSRP.

Mike

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have been riding for two full years now and have absolutely fallen in love with the sport of motorcycling. Not only do I enjoy spirited sportbike riding, but I can't get enough of anything "motorcycle." I have now come to a crossroad: what bike to get next.

As I have said, I have been riding for two full years on my used 2002 Suzuki Katana 600. I have put on 10,000+ miles and have really enjoyed the Katana as a first bike. I'm just not sure what bike to get next. I would love to limit myself to strictly "track" riding and get a new 600RR, but I will only be getting to the track two or three times a summer. Most, if not all, of my riding is on twisty highways in Central NY as far away from cages as possible. With that being said, I am leaning towards getting the 1000RR as my next bike. I know the excuse, "I'm too big (physically) for a 600" doesn't hold much water, but me being 6'3" 260 lbs. I can honestly say I fit better on the liter than I do the supersport. (ex-college hockey player, assholes!)

I am 24 years old and am quite aware that I will at no time be racing for any kind of championship on my local highways. As a matter of fact, I take great pride in being a very contentious, knowledgeable, and competent (also humble) motorcyclist. My question to this community is this: were any of you ever in this position, and do you think that getting a 1000RR as my second bike would be way off base?

Thanks for your replies and concerns.

Mike
Mate, get it. You seem like a level headed chap. The throttle works two ways, and you give the impression you know how to ride!

What's stopping you!?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, thanks for all the replies. I guess my only reservations about getting a literbike are because of all the horror stories about squids and idiots losing control at 160 mph, and spinning the rear tire with too much throttle on turns. Again, I do not believe myself to be a great rider, but I always strive to imporve my skills. I'm going to attend Keith Code's "California Superbike School" in August, but I'll be using one of his ZX6Rs.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
How about u try the new 600s before you jump to the dumb conclusion that your too big for the 600.
Get a 07 600, any of em, theyre almost as fast as the liter bikes 2 or 3 generations ago...

That im too big for a 600 is fukin BS.
try one before you go ASSuming that its not enough.

after you do that school, your gonna see that a 600 is plenty enough to get u fuctup.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I have a 600RR and a 1098. It's all about twisting that wrist bro and having a feel for what the bike can do.

Respect the bike and it will do the same in return.

Ya want to know the most fuct up I ever got on a motorcycle, no? Well I am going to tell you anyway... It was on a 50cc Water-Cooled pocketbike and I was drinking and riding it like an a$$hole with no gear. It did me in hard because I was mot using my head.

A painful but good leason learned.

Respect cause ANY bike will kick your a$$ in a second if you don't use good judgement!

Jason

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, that's a great story buddy! Thanks for the tip! As another member just said, once I go to the Superbike school, I'm sure I will realize that a 600 is MORE than enough. I'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
238 Posts
True, even pocketbikes can be dangerous. One of my friends tried my 50cc pocketbike (aircooled), and I told him it's fast. Bastard lost control taking off too quickly and the bike threw him off. Got some nice rash and now my pocketbike fairings are held together by ducttape. Sorry about rambling on, but yea, anything, even an skateboard, can be dangerous if you're reckless.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
yeah mang try riding the 07 600RR before you go plunk down the $$$ for a 1000RR, the 07 600RR has comparable midrange to that of a 750cc b'coz of it's power to weight ratio.

you might change your mind once you get a feel to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts