Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you forumians have every ridden or owned a KTM. Im talking about SMC690's 990's Super Dukes or the 590. I love the look of them and am considering one for a commuter. The roads around here are t-t-t-t-terrible and always feel bad for my cbr when theres a 6 inch deep pothole across the entire road. Anyways if anyone have owned one Hows the power handling mpg's etc.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
bunny hop those pot holes, haha.

never owned ne thing KTM
buddy has a ktm dirbike he says he absolutely loves it.

always been a honda guy personally.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ive only test ridden my friends dirt KTM's (520 and 300). They were nice to ride and had some cool features that most other bikes dont have (like a hydraulic clutch) but they do always seem to break on him. Worse yet the parts for them are outrageously priced so be prepared for that. Summed up, nice, but break a lot and Kost Too Much.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: ( ryans sad haha. I really love the looks my girlfriends dad has a 690 smc but he's a weirdo who doesn't talk and has tons of money. I know he loves his ktm but he never rides it. I lived there for a summer and he didn't touch the effin thing. I was about to ride it for him. Funny thing he's a die hard honda rider everything he owns is honda besides that bike now I'm talkin honda push mowers even. My hopes are dashed guess ill keep smackin my nuts off the tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In regards to reliability. I had a '97 KTM 300 for awhile, road the wheels off it. Never broke or gave any problems. A buddy of mine has a '09 200exc, and he beats on it harder than I've every seen a person beat a bike, never a problem, just keeps going. Not sure about some of their bigger 4t bikes but their 2ts are bullet proof. However, they are expensive if they do break.

O, my 300 was sold because I like new things haha. No reflection of the quality of the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thats good to hear. ive always heard they were great bikes but recently people have said otherwise. i know theyre austrian made and those guys know what theyre doing over there. id never part with the cbr but sometimes i want to go motard haha. i used to ride dirtbike actually for like 8 years or so and always wanted some sort of enduro but the 690 smc is just so badass. i also thought about convering a honda 450r which may be cheaper and i know that would last.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I only had one experience with a KTM and I blew the top end on it. My dirtbike ran strong but my opinion is skewed since it was my only KTM experience and I do not know anyone else who rides one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts