Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i have a 06 600rr...

i wanted to go for a ride today so i hop on and for some reason it took me a while to even get the wheel lock off.. and it was hard and took me a while to even get the key turned to the on position so i could press the electric start... any ideas.. the bike runs fine... i just havent rode in about a week due to bad weather and a extremely busy schedule..

and and for all u flamers out there.. theres about 6000 miles on this bike and i bought it brand new so it isnt a rider defect if thats what u were thinking...

so any and all ideas why the key would stick like that would be appreciated...

thanks..

EXILER

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
Make sure the wheel is all the way to the left or right (put pressure on the handle bar to bring it towards you) before trying to turn the key from the locked position. If anything else, sounds like you got some dirt in there.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Find some graphite and put some in the cylinder, by any chance does the bike stay out in the rain? This can cause this to happen. T

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it was outdoors during the rain cause i dont have a garage.. but the bike was well covered... so i was hoping that this wasnt the issue..

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I had the same problem with my bike actually on both of my CBRs. Just spray some WD40 down in the ignition. If you can use the small straw that comes with the can so that it gets all the way inside. Thats what i did with my bike and i havent had n e problems since.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same problem with my bike actually on both of my CBRs. Just spray some WD40 down in the ignition. If you can use the small straw that comes with the can so that it gets all the way inside. Thats what i did with my bike and i havent had n e problems since.
thanks bro... ill try that this weekend... appreciate the feed back... what causes this just gunk build up or what...???

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright thanks alot for all the feedback ill try it out and see what happens.. hope it works like normal after i spray it. it just caught me off guard when it was sticking like that... i was like wtf!!!! lol

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Riding in the rain = water, mixed with air and metal = rust/oxidation.

Stop riding in the rain.

I NEVER RIDE IN THE RAIN... THATS WHY THIS SITUATION CAUGHT ME OFF GUARD...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
For some people avoiding the rain isn't feasible. I used to live in Florida and if you ride in Florida eventually you will get caught in the rain. I've never tried graphite because I thought it would wash out too easily so I used 80-90w gear oil on the key itself and then inserted it into the ignition a few times. Trip I know you're in Florida. What are your experiences with the graphite? How long does it last?

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont live in florida so i dont get stuck in that crazy of rain.

i live in socal. and i never ride in the rain.. but i havent tried the graphite but the WD40 did work.. and it only took like 2 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts