Wheelies Do Not Stop At 12.00 o'clock try 15.00
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question
lost my key..
bought my bike used..
so i have no spare. didnt ever get around to making one btw
no metal id tag that comes with the bike from the stealership

so my question is.. is there anything i can do besides just buy new locks and keys and ignition???

·
Registered
418 Posts
i had the same problem (until i found the key :p) and when i spoke to my local stealership they said they could cut a key with the serial number from the bike. i dunno if this will work. the only other way i know of is to get a locksmith to take apart ur ignition and make u a new key but i was told it could range from $100-$400. good luck hombre!!

·
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay thanks guys
i took apart my ignition on my first rr
just never looked to close at it..
called the shop i bought it from and they told me about the key code
and i was just double checking before i take this one apart. :D

thanks guys

·
Registered
606 Posts
Happened to me when I moved, lost my only key...
The ignition barrel has a key code on it, and the dealership can re-cut you one, especially if you bought the bike there. They really don't like cutting keys for bikes they didn't sell for obvious reasons...

You have to pull the upper fairing, cluster, etc... There are two star like screws holding it in that are red-locktited in pretty well...

Good Luck...

·
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes they are locktighted in becuase they are tamper proof...
i cant get my triple off due to my forks being locked
so now i must figure out if i wanna spend 150 for a locksmith to come and pick it and cut a key
or mess w the tamper proof ish..

anyone know how tamper proof it is??

·
Registered
606 Posts
Why do you need the triple off? Get the upper fairing off, headlight and all, and you should be able to get to the cluster, once that is off won't you have a clear shot of the ignition?

Maybe the forks being locked prevent you from fully disassembling the bike, that's totally a possibility...

·
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes.. my bike is sf'd.
so no plastics.
SO the ingnition setup is just sitting there..
but the torques bits are tamper proof and will supposedly strip out if messed with
so i have to take the triple off (which the ignition is connected to) to get a new key cut at the stealership..

·
Registered
251 Posts
the locksmith is gonna be around $150 I just payed it 2 days ago. They come to ur house and make it right there about an 1hr and u be ready to ride.

·
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep locksmith says 150-165 depending on how long it takes...
and the only reason i cant take my triple off is becuase there are actual studs that come out of the ignition assy which locks into a couple small holes in the frame..
problem will be solved with a hacksaw blade.. :D

either that or im going to play around with taking the torque bits out... i took them out on my last one.. this one shouldnt be much harder

1 - 14 of 14 Posts