Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have a quick question about keys... I got 2 generic-looking keys with my bike, but I've seen others that have the black plastic-coated keys with the nice Honda badge on them. Anyone else get what looks like re-cut keys with their bike?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks like I'm about to go back to the stealership and get my real keys!! I didn't even get the metal tag with mine, just one of those red dealer tags with the bike info on it. Wouldn't really care, but I am paying alot of money for this bike, so I'd like to have everything it came with.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a pic but I don't want to load it up sorry... but you should know what they look like.
LOL!! No sweat mang, thanks though!

·
Registered
349 Posts
The dealership gave you generic keys?? I wonder why they did that?

I got my bike used and it only came with one key and the little metal tag with the number on it. I found out how useless that little metal tag is, though. I took it to the Honda dealer and they tried using the key cutting gun using the numbers, but that thing was useless. It's flimsy, hard to use, and it obviously isn't dummy proof. The dealership guys tried cutting keys for about twenty minutes, wasted two blanks and neither of those keys would work in my bike's ignition.

I ended up buying just the blank and having the key cut at a hardware store using the lathe cutter. Worked perfectly the first time and took about two minutes.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealership gave you generic keys?? I wonder why they did that?

I got my bike used and it only came with one key and the little metal tag with the number on it. I found out how useless that little metal tag is, though. I took it to the Honda dealer and they tried using the key cutting gun using the numbers, but that thing was useless. It's flimsy, hard to use, and it obviously isn't dummy proof. The dealership guys tried cutting keys for about twenty minutes, wasted two blanks and neither of those keys would work in my bike's ignition.

I ended up buying just the blank and having the key cut at a hardware store using the lathe cutter. Worked perfectly the first time and took about two minutes.
I have no idea why, but I know some of the old sales staff where I bought the bike are pretty shady. Hopefully I'll have an answer on this in a few hours...

·
Registered
252 Posts
You better lock that bad boy up, next time you go to the stealer ship you are going to see your bike for sale again, lol.
I was thinking the same thing. That is why I asked if it was a used bike. If he bought a brand new bike and that happened I would expect it to be stolen in 1-14 days. Seems like a good scam.... Before bike is sold make key copies. Give owner 2 original honda keys and keep the generic cut one. Look at bill of sale and find out the buyers name and address and write it on key tag. Walk up to his bike in the driveway, put key in, fire it up, and drive away.

Even if they did this to 50% of there customers I doubt anyone would catch on for quite a while. With the theft rate being what it is nobody would think twice about customers bikes getting stolen. Maybe they gave you the set of keys they were planning on using to steal your bike accidently. Why lift it into a van when you can just drive it away with a key?

If that happened to me and they gave me generic keys I would be FURIOUS and I wouldn't be able to sleep because I would constantly worry about them riding off with it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes boys and girls, a theft scam was the first thing that popped into my mind as well. Especially since I found out the salesman I went through is a TOTAL scam artist. Anyways, here's the supposed end to this little story. The stealership sales manager tells me that they got almost 100 bikes, quads and other Honda products with no keys between March and May, including my bike. They had to have a locksmith make keys for everything, so I got the hardware store keys instead of genuine Honda keys (And yes, this whole deal STILL sounds sketchy at this point...). He proceeds to tell me that they can order to correct keys for me, and it'll cost about $30 a key!! I tell him I'm sorry that they cost so much and it sucks that they'll have to eat the cost and get me my keys. He starts to argue that they can't do it, so I tell him I'll gladly call the BBB about shady business practices. Well that changed his tune, and now they're paying for my new keys and it's only costing them $24 for the two keys. The new ones will be uncut, so I'm seriously thinking about getting a new ignition and gas cap from a different Honda dealer and having the new keys cut for those. I think it goes without saying that my days of dealing with this dealership are DONE!! And my bike is locked up whenever I'm not on it. At home I have a locked storage building that it she sleeps in whenever I'm not at home or I'm sleeping, and at work I park it inside a gated area all night. So there we go, problem hopefully solved. Thanks everyone for the info and advice, much appreciated!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
So it is a brand new 0 miles bike? Sounds like you got it under control. Like you said if you get a new ignition DO NOT let them cut your keys or anything. That right there is some SHADY ****. I definitely would never go there again for 2 reasons.

#1 With all the money you paid them they were busting your balls over 20 bucks when you were SUPPOSED to get a friggin OEM key! Did they take off the dunlops and give you chinese tires? A tire is a tire just like a key is a key right? WRONG

#2 That is just one of the shadiest things I've ever heard of a dealer doing. And how the hell could 100 bikes be effected. I highly doubt Honda sent 100 bikes with no keys and this scumbag gets all of them.

I would give a heads up to whoever you can. If it was me I would call Honda and report it so they are aware of what their dealer is doing. I would also call the police and speak to a detective who handles auto theft and let them know. If one or two phone calls from you could help prevent fellow bikers from getting their "baby's" stolen it would be well worth your time in the karma dept.

D

·
0 Posts
Yes boys and girls, a theft scam was the first thing that popped into my mind as well. Especially since I found out the salesman I went through is a TOTAL scam artist. Anyways, here's the supposed end to this little story. The stealership sales manager tells me that they got almost 100 bikes, quads and other Honda products with no keys between March and May, including my bike. They had to have a locksmith make keys for everything, so I got the hardware store keys instead of genuine Honda keys (And yes, this whole deal STILL sounds sketchy at this point...). He proceeds to tell me that they can order to correct keys for me, and it'll cost about $30 a key!! I tell him I'm sorry that they cost so much and it sucks that they'll have to eat the cost and get me my keys. He starts to argue that they can't do it, so I tell him I'll gladly call the BBB about shady business practices. Well that changed his tune, and now they're paying for my new keys and it's only costing them $24 for the two keys. The new ones will be uncut, so I'm seriously thinking about getting a new ignition and gas cap from a different Honda dealer and having the new keys cut for those. I think it goes without saying that my days of dealing with this dealership are DONE!! And my bike is locked up whenever I'm not on it. At home I have a locked storage building that it she sleeps in whenever I'm not at home or I'm sleeping, and at work I park it inside a gated area all night. So there we go, problem hopefully solved. Thanks everyone for the info and advice, much appreciated!!
What ever you do, do NOT believe them. If you have insurance, get your insurance company to buy you a new ignition, seat lock, and set of keys, different from the type your bike currently has. For a dealership to say they didn't receive keys for any bike, quad, and what ever from multiple companies in the same time frame is outrageous, impossible, and a clear-cut way of scamming people. I say don't even ride your bike until you have a new ignition on the bike, because if they want to steal it back, they will. Still report them to the BBB as well, because if they truly received stuff without keys, don't you think they would call up the manufacturers and get the keys that where left out?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it is a brand new 0 miles bike? Sounds like you got it under control. Like you said if you get a new ignition DO NOT let them cut your keys or anything. That right there is some SHADY ****. I definitely would never go there again for 2 reasons.

#1 With all the money you paid them they were busting your balls over 20 bucks when you were SUPPOSED to get a friggin OEM key! Did they take off the dunlops and give you chinese tires? A tire is a tire just like a key is a key right? WRONG

#2 That is just one of the shadiest things I've ever heard of a dealer doing. And how the hell could 100 bikes be effected. I highly doubt Honda sent 100 bikes with no keys and this scumbag gets all of them.

I would give a heads up to whoever you can. If it was me I would call Honda and report it so they are aware of what their dealer is doing. I would also call the police and speak to a detective who handles auto theft and let them know. If one or two phone calls from you could help prevent fellow bikers from getting their "baby's" stolen it would be well worth your time in the karma dept.
Yep, this is a brand new 0-mile bike. I have a friend who a local Sherrif's Deputy, so I'll be talking to him shortly to get the word out about any stolen Hondas without factory keys. I'm gonna talk to Arizona Honda and Musselman Honda tomorrow, those are the only other Honda dealers I know of. If they say this is BS, you can bet your a** I'll be on the phone and alerting anyone I can. I know how it feels to have a car broken into, can't imagine how it must feel to have a bike stolen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts