Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@ 6:41 and @ 7:45. They were unintentional, promise. This was back when I used to train hard. I don't really train anymore. I'm sure there are plenty of martial arts enthusiasts on this forum. This is a "smoker fight." It is regulated but not sanctioned and used strictly for training purposes.

There's some good slugging at around the 8:22 mark and I catch him with pretty good kicks at around the 8:27 mark. Go ahead and critique my stand up fellow kickboxers/mma guys/boxers.

I originally started training because of bullies throughout elementary, jr high and high school.

edit: look at the 22 sec mark :) teehee

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JT you used to be beast... did you bang that chick standing next to you at the end? I would have

not really so beasty anymore haha :crackup:

That girl's name is Audrey. And she was cute and we hung out and stuff, then I found out she was just a girl in desperate need for attention. her bf lived far away and she invited me over to her place to watch a movie and whatever. i find out she's texting her bf while im over there so i'm like, "not my style. im outta here.... SO LONG GAY BOYZZ!!"

edit: i didnt know she was still with the guy, she lied to me. had i knew she was still with him, i woulda never gone over.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
That's impressive, I would not want to go up against someone like you.

I like your style, lots of counter-attacking - almost every time he over-committed or got lazy with his guard you hit him - I think you got a couple of really good shots in at 4:23 and 4:28. You didn't waste any punches or kicks either and maintained really good protection of your head/ribs. The only thing he was really getting in was mid-height roundhouse kicks, which didn't look to be doing much, but I bet your arms stung a bit after that. Thanks for sharing the vid.

I've studied karate and got to a decent level; it's not the same as MMA obviously, but the counter speed is critical.

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's impressive, I would not want to go up against someone like you.

I like your style, lots of counter-attacking - almost every time he over-committed or got lazy with his guard you hit him - I think you got a couple of really good shots in at 4:23 and 4:28. You didn't waste any punches or kicks either and maintained really good protection of your head/ribs. The only thing he was really getting in was mid-height roundhouse kicks, which didn't look to be doing much, but I bet your arms stung a bit after that. Thanks for sharing the vid.

I've studied karate and got to a decent level; it's not the same as MMA obviously, but the counter speed is critical.
Thanks.

I was actually just really tentative and nervous so I guess it worked out as far as counter attacking goes. I had bad habits of dropping my hands when I punch and yes, he did tag me with a few body kicks. They hurt. I didn't do a good job of negating them. He was longer than me so I was in his range but he wasn't in mine. I shoulda stepped in whenever he threw those kicks to counter. I just kept letting him walk in on me.

Karate is awesome, any martial art is awesome. And I'm glad you noticed the counters, that's usually the last thing a lot of people see.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Your JohnBruceLRR!!

Reactions: JohnDoubleR

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think u would be better without jumping around like a jumping bean. Stay calm wait for openings. Doesn't really look like either of u train or if u r ur coach has no clue what he is doing. Not bashing u at all just trying to help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think u would be better without jumping around like a jumping bean. Stay calm wait for openings. Doesn't really look like either of u train or if u r ur coach has no clue what he is doing. Not bashing u at all just trying to help.

My coach was just reffing the fight..

The jumping was something I tried to adopt from Dominick Cruz. Guess I failed lol. I got happy feet. But I feel like I'm less predictable that way... Then again this was coming up on 2 years ago now lol.

And it doesn't look like I trained! :sad:

I hope I at least look better than people fighting on the streets

Can't mess with a guy named Silva in the cage

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Silva and proud! and not even Brazilian

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,282 Posts
Good job JT, but always keep your hands up, especially in the begining :poke:

i got the honors of getting kicked in the nuts by a black belt long ago, fun 30 min for me, NOT so much :banghead::crackup:

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good job JT, but always keep your hands up, especially in the begining :poke:

i got the honors of getting kicked in the nuts by a black belt long ago, fun 30 min for me, NOT so much :banghead::crackup:
this was back when I acted like a douche. I was so cocky. I put my hands down and he swung and luckily i dodged it... or else I may have been on the ground experiencing brain convulsions for the next minute..

kicked in nuts is not fun. i cried. and a girl was the one who kicked me in the nuts... couldn't imagine a black belt.

·
7,282 Posts
Good to hear you have grown, sh!t like that ain't cool, ya know :thumbup:

BTW, do you Kali?

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear you have grown, sh!t like that ain't cool, ya know :thumbup:

BTW, do you Kali?
I learned. I used to be such a douche! i'm more chill now. I try to be a lot more humble. You learn things and start to see things from a different perspective ya know?

I do not! That would hurt! do you?

·
7,282 Posts
I learned. I used to be such a douche! i'm more chill now. I try to be a lot more humble. You learn things and start to see things from a different perspective ya know?

I do not! That would hurt! do you?
Nope, watched documentary on it, as well as on a bunch of other countries and styles.... Liked the sacrificing the chicken ritual :crackup:

When I was much younger I did a little of judo, then some TKD for a few years when I was a teen... Wanted to start back up couple years ago, looked into grappling but decided not to :retard: feel too broken and old for all that sh!t.

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope, watched documentary on it, as well as on a bunch of other countries and styles.... Liked the sacrificing the chicken ritual :crackup:

When I was much younger I did a little of judo, then some TKD for a few years when I was a teen... Wanted to start back up couple years ago, looked into grappling but decided not to :retard: feel too broken and old for all that sh!t.
You're never too old Kali! never too old for anything!

Bjj is hella good stuff.. just watch those ears...

·
7,282 Posts
Yeah, but I have had some set backs with my back now for over a year my shoulder, was at my docs today and going for follow up MRI probably next week, then if I get green light will be a slow painful recovery and getting back into shape like I want will suck, but I will give it my best :thumbup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
that's awesome, I trained a little, job got in the way, and now I'm hoping to get the motivation back. I miss it. you have some good hits in that vid

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Johnny!!!! My man!!! haha good sh!t bro. I trained muay thai and jiu jitsu for about 6 years so nice to see some guys on here do as well. You look good bro only thing I can see is you drop your left hand alot when you get hit. You block the strike but right after the left hand drops. I used to do the same with my left hand... my trainer taped my left hand to my head till I got it right haha... good job bro!

·
Registered
91 Posts
First off, glad you won. That was great to watch, and I have the utmost respect for you having the cajones, to post it and welcome criticism. You have a lot of talent. Here is my two cents. Take it or leave it. Your right hand drops with every move you make. Hands up. You kick, right drops. You swing with the left hand, right hand drops. Protect the face/head at all times. Controlled jabs are critical. You can regulate the tempo of the fight, as well as distance, with your jab. Lastly, aggression and tempo. The first 7 minutes, it seemed as though your opponent set the tempo. I understand it was edited, so I am sure we missed a lot of what really happened. But never, if possible let your opponent set the pace. Like I said, take it or leave it. I've been teaching TKD (southern style), Judo, and American Boxing since 1998. I am not the greatest and definitely too old to get back in the ring, but, I still see potential when I look at it. If you are not still training, you need to start back up. You have a bright future... and yes, I love me some Asian girls too! Hawaii is packed full of them!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts